Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Update:

I've made up another 30 or so DAS strips to enable walling to re-commence. A small sheepfold, in the style of the one shown in my recent photos, will also be constructed over the next day or so. I'll judge its suitability once it's made - and I'm sure you lot will have your say! Hope so!

Had a bit of out-of-period fun yesterday running a consist of 2 class 37s and a long freight train around KL. A sound equipped BR blue 37/7 leading a green 37/4 and a motley collection of tankers, wagons, a Mk1 and the "boys" sped through KL and into the wilds. An activity to be severely frowned upon by purists!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I've been working on the ground profile on the operating-well side of the fell wall. It's not complete - and I've run out of plaster, which doesn't help!

However, to neaten up the front I've fitted a fascia, using 4mm ply. The descending fell profile can nuzzle up against this and the board can be painted at some later stage.

post-13778-0-30232000-1378131698_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-42029300-1378131707_thumb.jpg

About to chop some DAS strips up and do a bit more walling.....

Jeff

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

The shots in the Fells interest me as they have a distinct similarity with the area around Llanberis. Your scenic modelling is very impresssive.

As an aside, Bullieds in Wessex and a S&DJR 7F are seriously off-topic.  These same images appear elsewhere.

Hi Larry.

It's certainly inspirational to go walking on the fells. I have to admit that I'm not familiar with the North Wales mountains, but the Lake District is like an old friend.

It was interesting that, I think for the first time ever, I was walking and looking with a modeller's eye....walls, vegetation, colour etc. It all added to the experience.

As for scenic modelling - it's something I enjoy. There are some things I've never tried, so using an (as yet not-purchased) static-grass applicator to apply weeds and low growth around structures and walls is something I'm looking forward to trying!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Hi Larry.

It's certainly inspirational to go walking on the fells. I have to admit that I'm not familiar with the North Wales mountains, but the Lake District is like an old friend.

It was interesting that, I think for the first time ever, I was walking and looking with a modeller's eye....walls, vegetation, colour etc. It all added to the experience.

As for scenic modelling - it's something I enjoy. There are some things I've never tried, so using an (as yet not-purchased) static-grass applicator to apply weeds and low growth around structures and walls is something I'm looking forward to trying!

Jeff

A friend and I considered the static grass applicator as it isnt cheap. Then we decided that as we both lean on things, as do visitors, the grass would only end up flatenned! Some tufts of standing-up grass can be bought. They come on a transparent sheet and the tufts are self-adhesive. They could be useful for your application of adding tufts of grass around structures and other objects.....

post-6680-0-51874900-1378138150.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A friend and I considered the static grass applicator as it isnt cheap. Then we decided that as we both lean on things, as do visitors, the grass would only end up flatenned! Some tufts of standing-up grass can be bought. They come on a transparent sheet and the tufts are self-adhesive. They could be useful for your application of adding tufts of grass around structures and other objects.

I've got some tufts - in different shades from green to brown - of the mini Natur variety. I'll be using a few of these when I add a bit of vegetation on top of the Fell.

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi Larry.

Jeff

I spotted a new static grass applicator in a newsletter from On-Tracks yesterday! Made by UK firm World War Scenics (and war gamers are never the people to mess about when it comes to detail!). Apparently it's been awarded a best applicator from one of the mags (upcoming article!). Cost is £99.98, which is still less than the rivals from Noch, etc. The company also claim the widest range of grass colours and lengths available. Well worth having a look before you decide Jeff!

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric

• RMweb Premium

I spotted a new static grass applicator in a newsletter from On-Tracks yesterday! Made by UK firm World War Scenics (and war gamers are never the people to mess about when it comes to detail!). Apparently it's been awarded a best applicator from one of the mags (upcoming article!). Cost is £99.98, which is still less than the rivals from Noch, etc. The company also claim the widest range of grass colours and lengths available. Well worth having a look before you decide Jeff!

Regards

Bill

Cheers Bill.

And the funny thing is - that particular applicator is reviewed in the October 2013 Model Rail which popped through my door today.

Peter Marriott said it was as good as the Mark 2 Noch Grass-Master, and it's about £40 cheaper. 

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

I've been working on the ground profile on the operating-well side of the fell wall. It's not complete - and I've run out of plaster, which doesn't help!

However, to neaten up the front I've fitted a fascia, using 4mm ply. The descending fell profile can nuzzle up against this and the board can be painted at some later stage.

attachicon.gif100_4058.JPG

attachicon.gif100_4059.JPG

About to chop some DAS strips up and do a bit more walling.....

Jeff

And there was me wondering if you were going to go all US-big time style modelling and extend the fell down to the floor  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

And there was me wondering if you were going to go all US-big time style modelling and extend the fell down to the floor  :jester:

Now there's an idea!!!!!!

Hadn't thought of that..... Cheers Mike!  :O  :O  :jester:

Jeff

At least you wouldn't have to use another forest to create the frame, the floor would take the weight :jester:  :jester: :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  

• RMweb Premium

If I'd started from the floor I could have built a multi-level system linked by spirals.... No, I'm quite happy with the level of complexity I've created!

More plastering and wall-building tomorrow - I'll put some pics up. I think I'll build the sheepfold on a separate base, then fit it onto the Fell. Could use a fair number of DAS stones....

All good fun.

Jeff

I found a 4F for sale Jeff.  The dream of it shunting on KL is a step nearer. Don't know what's happened to me, actually illustrating a humble pick up goods train.  Last one I recall was a green Hornby R1 0-6-0T 2-rail Hornby Dublo under the couch in the sunroom where I grew up.

Oops. It's SECR ...   off topic. My apologies Coachmann and others who don't like this. I will keep it in the Lunester thread and/or the Hornby thread, where most of the pics are equally off topic. 

Seriously, I moderated the CARS forum originally for Compuserve and then AOL for about 8 years, with a much-visited thread called 'Motormouth' which covered any and everything. We didn't allow personal abuse, but freely discussed any and everything. Perhaps my ideas of thread discipline are a bit loose.

I greatly enjoy Jeff's KL build and would not want to dilute it with irrelevancies.

Rob

• Like 2

The shots in the Fells interest me as they have a distinct similarity with the area around Llanberis. Your scenic modelling is very impresssive.

As an aside, Bullieds in Wessex and a S&DJR 7F are seriously off-topic.  These same images appear elsewhere.

Sorry about that Larry. A weathered ex-WD 2-8-0 appeared on my doorstep just this minute, I shall illustrate it in KL-style scenery.  I know that it is not strictly about the building of KL, but... well. What can I say? I know that both Jeff and Andy have written such as 'more please' and 'keep 'em coming', and this is why they appear here. 

To me it's all about inspiration and the pleasure of modelling.

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Rob - it's MY thread and I make the rules here.

The Lunesters enjoy your contributions. Maybe the non S&C stuff should go into the Lounge but I'm not complaining. Larry has a point because if everyone went off thread there'd be chaos. But your photos are usually S&C related so don't worry!!

All of which reminds me - I must update the Index. So much has happened in the last 6 weeks!

Jeff

Sorry about that Larry. A weathered ex-WD 2-8-0 appeared on my doorstep just this minute, I shall illustrate it in KL-style scenery.  I know that it is not strictly about the building of KL, but... well. What can I say? I know that both Jeff and Andy have written such as 'more please' and 'keep 'em coming', and this is why they appear here. 

To me it's all about inspiration and the pleasure of modelling.

Rob

Rob, its Jeff Thread and HE make the rules, I love the pics for their artistic content as much as the Loco and the ability you have to make a PLASTIC TOY look so real is unbelievable, O.K. so Southern maybe it should go in the Lounge but if its on a Summer Special over the S & C then it is Jeff's choice.

Either way you / they are inspiring, in fact I am just changing a bit of scenery on our club layout as a direct result of your cutting pics and I have reduces the height of the cutting and it now looks bob on.

Keep em coming mate. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Bodgit :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P

Rob - it's MY thread and I make the rules here.

The Lunesters enjoy your contributions. Maybe the non S&C stuff should go into the Lounge but I'm not complaining. Larry has a point because if everyone went off thread there'd be chaos. But your photos are usually S&C related so don't worry!!

All of which reminds me - I must update the Index. So much has happened in the last 6 weeks!

Jeff

Jeff I had not read this when I replied to Robs No 8217, I hope I have NOT spoken out of turn, I love the pics for their content, as with any pic on here, 99% ARE RELEVANT in one way or another.

Your Most Humble  Servant, :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Bodgit :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Morning Andy.

Thanks for your comments - and, if I can say this again, you certainly haven't spoken out of turn and I really do welcome the wide variety of contributions that keep the thread of interest to ME (nevermind anyone else!!)

I agree with Larry's point of view regarding keeping threads "on topic". But KL is much more than just a simple layout thread - and the major modelling is all available via the Index.

So if its S&C related, helpful to me in terms of ideas, suggestions etc., then I want to hear it.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Regarding the Index. I'll try and update this over the next few days. I may also have to provide a "sub index", which "indexes the index", in order to give an overview of the different areas of work - frames, boards, tracklaying, hillsides, walls, viaduct etc.

It may make finding things a little easier and even if one person finds it useful then it's been worth doing. Coming to a thread near you, shortly (I hope).

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Morning Chip - I can see you lurking down there!

For your interest, I'm approaching a section of wall that'll need a gate and an adjacent stile. I'll TRY and build the stile in that unusual style you sent pics of a while back - IF I can find them on the thread. I think I need an Index!!!!!!

Jeff

Morning Chip - I can see you lurking down there!

For your interest, I'm approaching a section of wall that'll need a gate and an adjacent stile. I'll TRY and build the stile in that unusual style you sent pics of a while back - IF I can find them on the thread. I think I need an Index!!!!!!

Jeff

Sorry Jeff, that excuse won't wash with me!!

Those photo's may have been deleted off my phone and/or may be lost in the depths of this thread, but I can soon go and take some MORE for you!!

Snap Happy Lune

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Jeff, that excuse won't wash with me!!

Those photo's may have been deleted off my phone and/or may be lost in the depths of this thread, but I can soon go and take some MORE for you!!

Snap Happy Lune

Chip - I managed to track your photos down. Post #7716 (page 309) has the unusual stile configuration.

I'll build one tomorrow and see what it looks like. Along with the sheepfold I keep saying I'm going to make!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

Jeff now that I have bought a 43924 4F I am wondering about a suitable number and shedcode to suit the S&C ... will have to look at my various books and come up with a variation, but of course it will have to be right hand drive correct tender, or I will be reprimanded.  Already there are discussions about 'how to' adapt the Bachmann and Hornby 4Fs to the S&D.

• RMweb Premium

Jeff now that I have bought a 43924 4F I am wondering about a suitable number and shedcode to suit the S&C ... will have to look at my various books and come up with a variation, but of course it will have to be right hand drive correct tender, or I will be reprimanded.  Already there are discussions about 'how to' adapt the Bachmann and Hornby 4Fs to the S&D.

I've ordered a second Midland (Bachmann) 4F as it's such a good model. However, care will have to be taken with the renumbering as the photos I've checked so far actually show LMS (Hornby) 4Fs on the S&C. I've so far not found an example of the earlier version on the line. Nevermind - a bit of artistic licence may be called for!!

Jeff