Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for my lack of input today. I've just got back from a 17km walk/climb in the Helvellyn area with a total of 4600 feet of ascent.

Needless to say, no modelling this evening!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff.

Your scenery is making a big impression and turning my thoughts back to our stay at Kirkby Stephen.

Now, the one thing I didn't photograph was the walling or, rather, a particular aspect - MOSS.

There's a jolly good reason for that - we were driving past the stuff too quick to capture the effect.  So I'll leave that to you.

We were on our way to Wensleydale and there were some excellent examples of the odd tree here and there, spreadeagled over the wall.  In the shade, moss covered the wall, especially thick on the north side.  Thought it might be a useful trick to add to KL to add a bit of variety if you need/want it.

Just a thought.

Have a good weekend in the bunker.

Polly

Thanks Polly.

It's certainly my intention to have a few trees in the station area and one or two choice specimens on the Fell. I've always made my own trees in the past, but - needing so few here - I might "buy in" something suitable.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Not sure it rains on KL squire. At least, not when Jeff's around. :mosking:

Luney Polly

It never rains on my parade, Polly! Lol.

Mind you, it's been raining wet water and PVA from the misters over the last week or so!

Jeff

• Like 1

Thanks Polly.

It's certainly my intention to have a few trees in the station area and one or two choice specimens on the Fell. I've always made my own trees in the past, but - needing so few here - I might "buy in" something suitable.

Jeff

A single, or pair of well-placed trees can be very attractive, some of the commercial ones are very, very good, especially when the green colours are dark and or subdued.

Here are two, sort-of, in a pic I did last year.  From memory 2  7" high ash trees by Bachmann 'Scenescapes' sold by Hattons for tuppence. Slightly messed-around with my computer paintbrush.

post-7929-0-56644200-1377988241.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A single, or pair of well-placed trees can be very attractive, some of the commercial ones are very, very good, especially when the green colours are dark and or subdued.

Here are two, sort-of, in a pic I did last year.  From memory 2  7" high ash trees by Bachmann 'Scenescapes' sold by Hattons for tuppence. Slightly messed-around with my computer paintbrush.

On Camel Quay we have a mixture of trees - a couple I eventually got up the courage to make myself (by the pub, straddling the road using plastic trunk and foliage) after copying the ones from the Model Tree Shop which have a different type of foliage.  I've so far stuck on 5 of their smaller ones (left of the bridge) and 1 larger one (at the far left).  There are also quite a few made of sea moss (far left and over the bridge), some shrubs (behind the station) made from the soft roundy cushiony bits of lichen, and a Bachmann Scenescape tree on its own (far right).  It seems there is something to fit the bill whatever you choose to use.  [See page 9]

But, since doing Camel Quay's trees, I find I'm now looking at trees with a much keener eye when we're out in the car or on the train - with a view to modelling, of course.  Then there are all the verges and embankments....fields, parks and graveyards...ooooohhh, getting spooky. so I'll stop there.....

.....though they haven't found a way to get that virtual world photo-shopped smoke coming from my real world locos yet....Hologram smoke, anyone???

Polly

Edited by southern42

• RMweb Gold

Jeff,

Not wanting to put a damper on you buying trees but......

Not many trees in exposed places are not usually nice and upright or round, but more bent over and extended in one direction.

Sorry, just another little job.

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Not wanting to put a damper on you buying trees but......

Not many trees in exposed places are not usually nice and upright or round, but more bent over and extended in one direction.

Sorry, just another little job.

Not a problem, Chris. The fewer trees I have to buy, the better and I'm sure I can "invent" some suitably gnarled specimens!!

I had a good look at fell-based trees during yesterday's hike - and I've a nice shot or two of a typical sheep shelter that I'll upload later.

Jeff

• Like 2

Your letting the Lunesters down Jeff, you have been out for a 17km walk on them there hills and with all that fresh hill and dale information logged in your memory you're not going to do any modelling! Shame on you Lord Lunester.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike,

A bit of modelling done today - more plaster....

In the meantime, some pics from yesterday - some quite inspiring - including the Lord Lunester at the summit:

post-13778-0-95972400-1378063278_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-06735900-1378063318_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-51300000-1378063322_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-21166700-1378063329_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-88596500-1378063357_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-22597700-1378063364_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 8

Forgot to mention I have been on Helvellyn many many many times myself......it was back in the early 1970's ... I could actually approach it from various routes:

1: Under deck level - either side

2: Flight deck level - either side

3: Pit level

4: No1. end

5: No.2 end

6: Roof level

Oh! Of course I am talking about the Class 44 No.D2 (44002) when I worked at Derby Loco' and then Toton TMD.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Forgot to mention I have been on Helvellyn many many many times myself......it was back in the early 1970's ... I could actually approach it from various routes:

1: Under deck level - either side

2: Flight deck level - either side

3: Pit level

4: No1. end

5: No.2 end

6: Roof level

Oh! Of course I am talking about the Class 44 No.D2 (44002) when I worked at Derby Loco' and then Toton TMD.

Great locos, those Peaks, Mike.

I'll be heading up Blencathra either this Saturday or the following, weather permitting. I just love the Fells.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I was going to tick DISAGREE to the above on, I hope you went up by Chair Lift or Pack Horse :no: . I just can't imagine why anyone would want to walk UP HILL :O the level is hard enough for me. hahaa

Only joking of course, I do wish I could still walk, and enjoy the countryside that much.

Looking at the walls in the pics, have you got the right number of stones per foot of height, as there seems a lot more in these pics?haaaaa :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Stunning countryside from up in the Gods. :angel:

Bodgit :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, I was going to tick DISAGREE to the above on, I hope you went up by Chair Lift or Pack Horse :no: . I just can't imagine why anyone would want to walk UP HILL :O the level is hard enough for me. hahaa

Only joking of course, I do wish I could still walk, and enjoy the countryside that much.

Looking at the walls in the pics, have you got the right number of stones per foot of height, as there seems a lot more in these pics?haaaaa :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Stunning countryside from up in the Gods. :angel:

If I tried using more stones per foot I REALLY would go insane!!

Agree about the stunning countryside. Very inspirational and I'll try and get some more relevant pics next time. Including some of those (gnarled) trees that Chris and Polly were referring to.

Andy - you don't have to climb mountains. Even driving to the area - we went up from Patterdale - is fantastic enough.

Anyway, I'll have to stock up on DAS strips so I can start work on that sheepfold. Yes, I could put it in the valley - but that's where the bothy's going. So the fold can sit atop the Fell.

Jeff

Beautiful country Jeff, beautiful.  As to Bodgit, I have a spare wheelchair somewhere, well, I did until someone stole it from my garage a year ago, I hope the hip replacement goes well Andy. Both my hips are metal from various misadventures and don't hurt a bit, but one took a week or three to get used to.

Now moving along from such troubles and back towards Fell-like climes, here is a pic I did yesterday of a train somewhere in Wessex, where equally one could have days of raw wind and bleak landscapes, as hinted-at in the background.  This is a Waterloo-West of England train held up unaccountably somewhere and re-starting from a prolonged signal stop. Of course it never happened in real life...

post-7929-0-91288900-1378070260.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Where was the sheep fell thingy that you photographed as it looks like the hill goes up behind it so was it in the valley?

Yes, Andy. Quite right. The valley is quite elevated though - at around 700 feet. From there the surrounding hillside fells rise to around 2000 feet and then to the tops of the mountains.

I like the look of it as a prototype - and it'll be relatively easy to build using DAS stones - as in the walling.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Rob, I made an interesting discovery today, having just been given a copy of Roger Siviter's excellent book "The Settle to Carlisle: A Tribute"....

There've been a lot of "Cumbrian Mountain Express/Pullman (CME)" railtours in the 1980s pulled by Southern locos. Almost lets me justify turning the clock forward to 1982 and buying up Southern rolling stock (no, not likely).

However, a quick flick-through shows:

34092 City of Wells at Settle Junction, May 82

34092 at Blea Moor, April 84

35028 Clan Line at Selside, September 78

(30)777 Sir Lamiel (N15) at Appleby, December 82

Jeff

Rob, get yourself a weathered Fowler 4F and let's see a shunting scenario - if you can manage such a thing.

The Baron will be in ecstasy if you produce an image like that!

Jeff

Well, I plan a 4F but I have to buy it first.... I seem to have missed the larger-tender late crest version at Hattons but no doubt will track one down.  As for shunting scenarios, I have a few bits and pieces for engine shed scenes, but will have to use imagination for some of it...  or hide things with steam, always handy that.

In the meantime, no wind-blown trees here just south of Bath...  but at least it's a goods train!

post-7929-0-19025700-1378097129.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Will this do for gnarly and windswept? I must have taken this one when I was in my twenties, up on the moors above the Ribble valley in darkest East Lancashire. It's still there and still showing healthy growth!

attachicon.gifLandscape0007.jpg

Bill

Nice one, Bill. Plenty of character there! In fact, that tree looks positively evil - as if it's waiting to snare the unwary passer-by!

One specimen I saw yesterday was shooting up out of Grisedale Beck - about 30 feet high, rooted in apparently nothing and not another tree within a few hundred metres. Growth on its southerly flanks but severely stunted on its northern side from the continual wind blasting. I should really have photographed it!

If nothing else, trees give a bit of height to a layout. It's easy to notice the landscape is incomplete even if you only need 2 or 3 of them to complete the scene.

Jeff