Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

They look a bit SHINNY to me :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Sheep Dog :no:

Andy,

I didn't think it was fair to start talking about weathering sheep.  Jeff has enough on at the moment.  Also, there are probably dozens of types of sheep, including crossbreeds so that would be a study in itself so thin, dirty and the right markings will probably do, with the occasional black one.

• RMweb Premium

Andy,

I didn't think it was fair to start talking about weathering sheep.  Jeff has enough on at the moment.  Also, there are probably dozens of types of sheep, including crossbreeds so that would be a study in itself so thin, dirty and the right markings will probably do, with the occasional black one.

No problem, Chris.

Let me tell you how I'll weather the sheep - and it'll take all of ten minutes....

Take one jar containing diluted acrylic - probably one of my favourite dark umber/stone grey concoctions.

Pick up 50-odd sheep and dump them into said mix.

Stir around for 5 minutes with a paint brush.

Decant 50-odd now dirty sheep onto a worktop.

Allow sheep to dry - randomly filthy and much more prototypical than previously!!

As usual, I thank you all for nudging me in the direction of reality. There was a time when everything on my old layouts was pristine. I couldn't put my finger on why it never looked quite right.....

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Sheep dip!

Indeed! I think it's very serenDIPitous that such a relatively easy technique is available. I almost felt SHEEPish mentioning it.....

Sorry Scott, just felt I had to match your level of humour!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Indeed! I think it's very serenDIPitous that such a relatively easy technique is available. I almost felt SHEEPish mentioning it.....

Sorry Scott, just felt I had to match your level of humour!

Jeff

Welcome to the basement, Jeff!

No problem, Chris.

Let me tell you how I'll weather the sheep - and it'll take all of ten minutes....

Take one jar containing diluted acrylic - probably one of my favourite dark umber/stone grey concoctions.

Pick up 50-odd sheep and dump them into said mix.

Stir around for 5 minutes with a paint brush.

Decant 50-odd now dirty sheep onto a worktop.

Allow sheep to dry - randomly filthy and much more prototypical than previously!!

As usual, I thank you all for nudging me in the direction of reality. There was a time when everything on my old layouts was pristine. I couldn't put my finger on why it never looked quite right.....

Jeff

DONT FORGET THE SHEEP FLEECE ON THE WALLS AND TREES. :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Your most disobedient SERVANT, hahhaaaa :no:

• RMweb Premium

DONT FORGET THE SHEEP FLEECE ON THE WALLS AND TREES. :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Your most disobedient SERVANT, hahhaaaa :no:

Bl**dy hell Andy - you think of everything! Or is that taking realism a bit far?

Maybe get some sheep on the Fell by the end of next week. Sheepfold, sheep tracks and a bit of tufty vegetation, hopefully. Just the matter of a few walls....I'm having a few days away from it at the mo.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've spent the last hour or so looking through online databases for info. relating to the Midland 4F (Bachmann model).

I'll have 2 late crest models number 43924 and need these re-numbering to something a bit closer to the S&C (43924 = Bristol).

Not much directly relevant I'm afraid, given the location and time of withdrawal. The best I can do is:

43908    Last depot = Workington (12D) Dec 63 - Nov 64

43953          "                      "                   W/D 11/65

43963          "                      "                   W/D  11/64

43950          "                      "                   W/D  1/65

43964          "                      "                   W/D  9/65      - this was a Kirkby Stephen loco prior to Workington, so may be the hot favourite!

Of course, this may be verging on rivet counting!!

Jeff

Edit: Just discovered this isn't true....it was at Nottingham. Oh well!

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

The other way to do it is to find photos of 4F's running on the S&C and then check back through the databases to see where (they think) it was allocated. Hopefully that should also tell you when it was built, who by, whether it's left or right handed, etc.

With my 3F, I searched long and hard for a likely candidate, and finally chose one that I had a photo of, sat in Rochdale station; a Rose Grove allocated one (in fact I think it was the only Rose Grove one). Turned out Andy Cooper had picked exactly the same number for his, to run on New Hey

• RMweb Premium

http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=class&id=4F-C&type=S&id=105&page=fleet

44393 - Leeds Holbeck - withdrawn Nov 62

44491 - Leeds Holbeck - withdrawn Oct 62

44537 - Leeds Holbeck - withdrawn Oct 62

44594 - Leeds Holbeck - withdrawn Oct 62

44125 - Skipton - withdrawn Mar 65

44149 - Skipton - withdrawn Nov 64

44041 - Carlisle Kingmoor - Jun 64

44469 - Carlisle Kingmoor - Mar 63

44452 - Carlisle Kingmoor - Jun 64

44495 - Kirkby Stephen - March 60 (although I am guessing this refers to KS East on the Stainmore line)

This is an addictive game Jeff. And to think that some scoffed when I started renumbering my locos :D

• RMweb Premium

Jason - your post just confirms my problem....

All the photos I have with 4Fs are of the LMS Fowler 4F, not the Midland 4F. The Midland ones run from 43835 to 44026. Your excellent list is of the later, Hornby, version of the 4F - as I'm sure you know.

I'll have to compromise and go for a Workington shed code. I thought I'd struck lucky with 43980, whose last shed was Tebay. Alas, it was withdrawn in 1957!

Yes, addictive as you say. Now why am I bothering so much as I'm unlikely to renumber many of my 9F/8F/Brit etc fleet?

Jeff

ps. Maybe I'm doing it because it's something I can do on the net when I'm not near the bunker!

• RMweb Premium

I may have got lucky with the Midland 4F locos. Well, almost....

43902 and 43922 were shedded at 68A Carlisle Kingmoor throughout their BR days. However they were withdrawn in 6/62 and 7/61 respectively. KL is nominally 1964ish.

At least these were genuine S&C machines so I may go with them, rather than the others.

Question - someone will know the answer: Leeds Stourton - did it serve the L&Y/would it ever have usurped Leeds Holbeck, as it shedded a fair number of Midland 4Fs.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Scott - is your interest in UK sheep one of the reasons why you call yourself the Britfarmer?

Btw, did you ever get yourself a 9F? I seem to recall putting temptation in your way a few months back!!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

I've spent the last hour or so looking through online databases for info. relating to the Midland 4F (Bachmann model).

I'll have 2 late crest models number 43924 and need these re-numbering to something a bit closer to the S&C (43924 = Bristol).

Not much directly relevant I'm afraid, given the location and time of withdrawal. The best I can do is:

43908    Last depot = Workington (12D) Dec 63 - Nov 64

43953          "                      "                   W/D 11/65

43963          "                      "                   W/D  11/64

43950          "                      "                   W/D  1/65

43964          "                      "                   W/D  9/65      - this was a Kirkby Stephen loco prior to Workington, so may be the hot favourite!

Of course, this may be verging on rivet counting!!

Jeff

Edit: Just discovered this isn't true....it was at Nottingham. Oh well!

Jeff,

I read the above and thought it was going to say 'online database of sheep'  If you do the wool on the walls are you going to do the litle black bits on the path?  :no:

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

I read the above and thought it was going to say 'online database of sheep'  If you do the wool on the walls are you going to do the litle black bits on the path?  :no:

I think the little black bits could be represented by a light scatter of Carrs Dark Grey ballast! Not too much, mind - they don't feed hot curry to Lakeland sheep (but then it might be a "sheep pat" rather than a pellet...).

Umm. What a shi**y topic!

Re. the wool strands - I don't think they'll get done as it's a question of scale. Shame, it was a good idea.

Btw, re. online databases. They were useful, but if Ian Wales is looking in, can I thank him profusely - his Excel database of S&C locos he has in books in his collection was excellent!

Jeff

Scott - is your interest in UK sheep one of the reasons why you call yourself the Britfarmer?

Btw, did you ever get yourself a 9F? I seem to recall putting temptation in your way a few months back!!

Jeff

HAHAHA Not even close Jeff. It actually stems from me being British and collecting William Britain farm toys, another one of my hobbies. 

Haven't picked up a 9F yet. I do have it on my list, just so many locos and stock to buy. I see the Hornby Railroad CotN has just been released. 

• RMweb Premium

Any reason why you picked '64 Jeff, and are you specifically tied to that year? I initially did the same, picking 1965, but I now plan to run different time periods so I can use all my locos although I am pushing it with one of my kits (on the build list); a L&Y Class 30 which were all gone by '52: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Normanton_Locomotive_Depot_survivor_of_a_large_class_of_ex-L%26Y_geograph-2785803-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

How could I resist such a beautiful / ugly loco? Not sure if any actually got BR lion and wheel emblems so it will probably be lettered as LMS with BR number, and I will need to get suitable stock. Also, a few others I have were pretty rare in the 60's whereas I also have a couple of diseasels that weren't even built in 1960 so I will run everything but at different times.

Just think, have a 1950's session every now and again and you can easily justify the cattle wagons, the blood and custard coach we keep seeing as well as more LMS coaches (much nicer than mk1's in my humble opinion), more 4F's, a Compound (if I could justify one - and maybe I can..... I would get one), a 3F, etc., etc. Just don't run the Compound at the same time as the Peaks and you are laughing, and you can't fit all of your stock in the fiddle yard anyway.

End of the day, is the infrastructure tieing you down to 1964? Nope, and the same here :)

• Like 1

The sheep will also require a red or blue mark on their back to show the attentions of the ram,just a thaught. :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum: 

I believe that it was down to the farmer as to the colour and shape of the mark to identify the ones from his flock. I've seen some really weird colours and shapes used in different parts of the country. Don't know how it was done in the sixties though (too young to remember)

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Any reason why you picked '64 Jeff, and are you specifically tied to that year? I initially did the same, picking 1965, but I now plan to run different time periods so I can use all my locos although I am pushing it with one of my kits (on the build list); a L&Y Class 30 which were all gone by '52: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Normanton_Locomotive_Depot_survivor_of_a_large_class_of_ex-L%26Y_geograph-2785803-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

How could I resist such a beautiful / ugly loco? Not sure if any actually got BR lion and wheel emblems so it will probably be lettered as LMS with BR number, and I will need to get suitable stock. Also, a few others I have were pretty rare in the 60's whereas I also have a couple of diseasels that weren't even built in 1960 so I will run everything but at different times.

Just think, have a 1950's session every now and again and you can easily justify the cattle wagons, the blood and custard coach we keep seeing as well as more LMS coaches (much nicer than mk1's in my humble opinion), more 4F's, a Compound (if I could justify one - and maybe I can..... I would get one), a 3F, etc., etc. Just don't run the Compound at the same time as the Peaks and you are laughing, and you can't fit all of your stock in the fiddle yard anyway.

End of the day, is the infrastructure tieing you down to 1964? Nope, and the same here :)

It takes somebody to state the obvious before we sometimes see something.

Let's look at the infrastructure on KL - when it's "complete":

Tunnel portal / Viaduct / Bridges / Aqueduct / Station buildings / Semaphore signals / Telegraph poles / Goods shed / Signal box .....

All of that will have been there for donkey's years, as will any dwellings in the locale.

So Jason, you are quite right, there's nothing tying me to 1964. All I need do is change the cars/vehicles in the car park/yard and away we go. 

The problem is,  that opens up further loco buying opportunities, such as the Compound you referred to! Could be expensive.

It also confirms my choice of running numbers on the 4Fs.

Thanks for "opening my eyes to the bleedin' obvious".

Jeff

• Like 2