Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

I'm shocked and amazed by the posts here. What ever happened British Pluck, working in the cold, repairing Lucas distibutors on side-valve Morris cars in the freezing rain... soldering flux, pah...

oh, by the way, I did that pic of the Britannia in a bit of a Saturday night hurry and it was a bit darkish.... at least in the bright light of dawn, so I edited it into a lighter hue just now. Sorry.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Whatever you did to the picture Rob, it looks better than ever. Very evocative - and tempts me to go and buy a couple of locos...

British pluck. Lol. I actually spent 7 hours working on my mimic today. Not in the bunker at 10C. In the house at 20C. do I regret it? Like hell I do! Lol!!

To be honest though, once you get started on a job the surroundings seem to fade into the background. So if it's cold on Tuesday/Wednesday when I'm wiring under the boards or starting the fiddle yard, so be it!

And as for Lucas distributors - I'm sure I had one of those on my Mini, way back in 1978!

cheers,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Hi Jeff

The book I was on about in the earlier post is called The heyday of Holbeck and it's locomotives by Gavin Morrison. It was published by Ian Allen in the 1990's. I'll give more details about the A3's names and numbers tomorrow when I have a look at my clubs yeadons.

Rob

Whatever you did to the picture Rob, it looks better than ever. Very evocative - and tempts me to go and buy a couple of locos...

British pluck. Lol. I actually spent 7 hours working on my mimic today. Not in the bunker at 10C. In the house at 20C. do I regret it? Like hell I do! Lol!!

To be honest though, once you get started on a job the surroundings seem to fade into the background. So if it's cold on Tuesday/Wednesday when I'm wiring under the boards or starting the fiddle yard, so be it!

And as for Lucas distributors - I'm sure I had one of those on my Mini, way back in 1978!

cheers,

Jeff

Soldering the wiring for Kirby Luneside may be a fraction 'forward' in the achievements of mankind, but compared to Lucas distributors, is it ART?

I have owned a large number of Minis... the proper BMC Issigonis type, and greatly enjoyed making them go well, not least by playing with the vacuum diaphragms and advance springs in the distributors. I think they bore more resemblance to steam locomotives than cars in that no two were ever exactly the same, good ones, bad ones... Americans didn't understand them either, just as they didn't understand Sir William Lyons' Jaguars from Coventry, expecting cars to sit idling in traffic on hot days when they were built for the 1957 M1 in winter, or Le Mans...

but I digress, the list of A3s likely to appear on Kirkby Luneside will be interesting... 60074 Harvester, 60084 Trigo, and 60086 Gainsborough are listed as Leeds Neville Hill in 1963 and 60038 Firdaussi as Leeds Holbeck at a quick glance at the Modelmaster shed book, but whether that relates to workings on the S and C I cannot say.. 60036 Colombo was a Leeds engine, 60095 Flamingo is described as 'always a Carlisle Canal engine', 60080 Dick Turpin was at Leeds Holbeck from about 1959 .. hmm, this gets quite interesting

60091 Captain Cuttle, 60079 Bayardo, 60077 The White Knght all spent time at Carlisle, the latter available Hornby super detail 'as new' s/h at Modelfair... no excuses now! I sold one of these s/h last year for about 70 quid in your money, now it is 115 pounds ouch, also 60068 Sir Visto, 60093 Conorach listed at Carlisle Canal... didn't Hornby do the last in double chimney last year, sans deflectors.... I might even have that one must check if so a photo will be certain, maybe with Stanier carriages... ahh the possibilities

Rob

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

The book I was on about in the earlier post is called The heyday of Holbeck and it's locomotives by Gavin Morrison. It was published by Ian Allen in the 1990's. I'll give more details about the A3's names and numbers tomorrow when I have a look at my clubs yeadons.

Rob

Thanks for your efforts Rob. I know there was a short time when A3s operated on the S&C - will let you provide details!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Blimey Rob! You've just shown me how little I know about the A3s - I hadn't heard of most of those! You're right about Coronach - it was a recent Hornby release. And, as I've said before, I don't have a single A3 in my current loco roster.

I drive a modern Mini. My first car was a Mini - but not quite Issigonis vintage. I agree with your comments - they were fun to play around with. I used to hate changing the fan belt, though!

Anyway, 7am here - so it'll be about 5pm in NZ? Enjoy your tea, while I get started with some more switches. Layouts are like icebergs. You only see the top 10% - the rest is lurking underneath!!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Blooming 'eck Jeff, I have a couple of days away to collect long case clock case from the west country and the thread goes mad, enjoyed catching up though. Hope you'll have some pics for us today? Keep up the good work.

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Premium

Blooming 'eck Jeff, I have a couple of days away to collect long case clock case from the west country and the thread goes mad, enjoyed catching up though. Hope you'll have some pics for us today? Keep up the good work.

Yes, the thread went crazy towards the end of last week. Hope it continues!

I'll post a couple of extremely boring photos of my control panel construction later. It's very matter-of-fact, but it works. And that's what matters. No flashing LEDs etc, just straightforward switching. At least it's multi-coloured, so it'll look pretty on here!

Jeff

The By Pass hose was the worst job on a Mini, especially roadside in a breakdown, I was a BMC apprentice mechanic from 1965, we also had to fit heaters and wing mirrors as an after fit on the pre delivery inspection, all great stuff. I do not envy you soldering UPSIDE DOWN under baseboards, thats why I now build moduels, I used to get dizzy, now I just turn them over, and sit on a stool, (wooded that is hahahah) I have to do that on the new Trebudoc later today. hahaha,

Andy

• RMweb Premium

The By Pass hose was the worst job on a Mini, especially roadside in a breakdown, I was a BMC apprentice mechanic from 1965, we also had to fit heaters and wing mirrors as an after fit on the pre delivery inspection, all great stuff. I do not envy you soldering UPSIDE DOWN under baseboards, thats why I now build moduels, I used to get dizzy, now I just turn them over, and sit on a stool, (wooded that is hahahah) I have to do that on the new Trebudoc later today. hahaha,

Andy

Actually Andy, I won't be doing any soldering under the boards - except to solder groups of droppers to the track bus, which isn't too bad. The links from the control panel to the point motors are via terminal blocks and Cobalt motors don't need any soldered joins.

Guess what I'm doing at the mo? Soldering. But on the kitchen table!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I seem to remember the starter button was on the floor of the early Minivan, as the eldest lad accidently stepped on it.....The Mini was in first gear and proceeded to jolt its way to the edge of the quay in Holyhead. Needless to say I was out of the traps faster than a Greyhound. I hated being so low down and prefered the 'commercial' drivers upright position in the old Rover 105, or me latest Farmwaggon...

I think we are all showing our age. some of the younger readers must be wondering what the hell we are talking about!

Anyway, to railway matters... Enclosed, as requested by Jonathan, a couple of photos of control panel construction.

24 switches so far. Probably another 12 to add by the end - 6 next week. The front fascia will be "glammed up" a bit using some plastikard strips to show track lines. As long as it works - which it does - I'm happy.

Adds a splash of colour to the thread!

Jeff

post-13778-0-18743900-1352727595_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-30415200-1352727612_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Actually Andy, I won't be doing any soldering under the boards - except to solder groups of droppers to the track bus, which isn't too bad. The links from the control panel to the point motors are via terminal blocks and Cobalt motors don't need any soldered joins.

Guess what I'm doing at the mo? Soldering. But on the kitchen table!

Jeff

You lucky man, my wife (bless her) will not let me use the table for modeling. When I eventually move and start a permanent layout I may use eletrical truncking around the inner frame to run all the wires in, I did this on one of my previous layouts under the board.

Cheers Andy.

• RMweb Premium

It was a bit warmer in the kitchen Andy! And nearer to the kettle to feed my caffeine addiction.

It'll soon be time to head out to the bunker though. I'd better switch the heater on for a while. Need to fit some terminal block under the board to carry the signal from the DC inputs to the Cobalts across to the control panel.

Coffee time first. No - I NEVER procrastinate!!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

I think we are all showing our age. some of the younger readers must be wondering what the hell we are talking about!

Anyway, to railway matters... Enclosed, as requested by Jonathan, a couple of photos of control panel construction.

24 switches so far. Probably another 12 to add by the end - 6 next week. The front fascia will be "glammed up" a bit using some plastikard strips to show track lines. As long as it works - which it does - I'm happy.

Adds a splash of colour to the thread!

Jeff

All very neat Jeff. I see you go for the large panel board approach. I don't know how the people who manage to get 100s of switches on a panel 6" square do it. I assume those switches are toggle switches, centre off?

• RMweb Premium

I'm as puzzled as you about the micro-miniaturisation that some achieve. These switches are just about the smallest my fingers feel comfortable with.

The switches are DPDT on-on, so no centre-off. I've used them previously, and they fitted nicely into one of the wiring schemes DCC Concepts suggest for their Cobalts. I must be getting weird in my old age, but I really enjoyed all the soldering. I'll be putting the first 6 fiddle yard turnouts in, starting tomorrow, so there'll be another 6 switches to go in on the lower right of the board. The board is around 60 x 45cm.

As Sod's Law dictates, everything was going swimmingly until I'd finished. I then managed to bend one of the switch levers, had a hell of a job getting it out for replacement and ended up chopping part of my thumb off with the wire strippers. The blood added to the colour scheme!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

You're making great progress Jeff. I haven't commented before but it looks like you will have a cracker of a layout.

I think you could have saved yourself a couple of switches on your panel though. There are a couple of crossovers that could have been wired with a single switch throwing both point machines. Can't see why you would want to only throw one of the points in the pair but maybe you have a cunning plan.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

You're making great progress Jeff. I haven't commented before but it looks like you will have a cracker of a layout.

I think you could have saved yourself a couple of switches on your panel though. There are a couple of crossovers that could have been wired with a single switch throwing both point machines. Can't see why you would want to only throw one of the points in the pair but maybe you have a cunning plan.

Cheers

Dave

Funny you should say that Dave, as the same thing occurred to me about ten minutes after I'd turned the soldering iron off! I think it's a lack of foresight - I built the board literally as I'd laid the track. Oh well, it works - don't tempt me to do a rewire (I know it'd only be a small job, but I'll leave it be).

I hope the layout comes up to scratch!!

Jeff

Edit: No cunning plan, Dave - just ignorance!! Lol.

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

I'm as puzzled as you about the micro-miniaturisation that some achieve. These switches are just about the smallest my fingers feel comfortable with.

Jeff

It depends on the switches! Here's the 'panel' for the portable layout station & yard area (like in a tank is portable if you have something to load it on and enough grunt to move it). Smallish toggle switches and rotary switches for power - controllers to be mounted separately (and non DCC of course) - and miniature pushbuttons on an NX principle for route setting laid out in such a way that they would subsequently be in the right position for the signals. The whole lot put together on a paper diagram on the inside of the transparent lid of an Art Worker plastic workbox (n.b. the route buttons were not fully wired when this pic was taken and the three rotary switches had not been added although they are included - just out of sight - in the view showing the internal wiring).

post-6859-0-75310200-1352738718_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-90223300-1352738757_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Funny you should say that Dave, as the same thing occurred to me about ten minutes after I'd turned the soldering iron off! I think it's a lack of foresight - I built the board literally as I'd laid the track. Oh well, it works - don't tempt me to do a rewire (I know it'd only be a small job, but I'll leave it be).

I hope the layout comes up to scratch!!

Jeff

Edit: No cunning plan, Dave - just ignorance!! Lol.

You will soon get fed up of moving two switches rather than one! Especially when you forget one and cause a derailment.

Rewire really would be better. On the real thing, crossovers are always on one lever.

• RMweb Premium

You will soon get fed up of moving two switches rather than one! Especially when you forget one and cause a derailment.

Rewire really would be better. On the real thing, crossovers are always on one lever.

Joseph, you are probably right. I've got some more switches to fit - when the fiddle yard configuration is known - so I may change it then.

Jeff

I'm with you on the larger boards Jeff, I like to see what I'm up to at a glance and I find the track layout needs to dominate over the switches, mind you Iv'e still got some pretty big switches on my board for the Junction too. With a bit of luck it may get fitted next year 29 years after construction - I don't rush LoL.

Good to see further progress even in the cold, I keep out off my hovel it's too draughty.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Evening Jim. 29 years? Wow! You're not quite in Larry or AndyP's league for speed then?!!

Yes, like you, I like to see what I'm doing. I could have bought some smaller switches and shrunk the plan down a bit, but I'm happy with what I've made. As far as working in the bunker is concerned, I've been out there for a couple of hours and stuck some terminal block under the board - ready for some point wiring tomorrow.

Working on the layout is like being on adrenalin. However, I think I'll need a break in the near future as I'm worried I'll start to lose (temporarily) a degree of interest. And - as you've said several times - these projects are supposed to be long-term.

Jeff

Working on the layout is like being on adrenalin. However, I think I'll need a break in the near future as I'm worried I'll start to lose (temporarily) a degree of interest. And - as you've said several times - these projects are supposed to be long-term.

Jeff

Hi Ho Jeff, What is long term? one week or one Month? I wish I had your patience with all that wiring. I did an O Gauge layouyt for a chap last year and the control panel drove me mad. With Trebudoc I have just 3 points, two are a crossover so just two switches required FANTASTIC. Andy.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ho Jeff, What is long term? one week or one Month? I wish I had your patience with all that wiring. I did an O Gauge layouyt for a chap last year and the control panel drove me mad. With Trebudoc I have just 3 points, two are a crossover so just two switches required FANTASTIC. Andy.

I enjoy fiddling around with the switches - as long as I'm in comfort and not on my back looking up at a board covered in wires! Lol. It's always pleasing when it works and bl***y irritating when it doesn't. Btw, if you're happy to keep Trebudoc at 9', then you've made the right decision!

Dave (post 1442) / Joseph (post 1445). I'm leaving the control panel exactly as it is - switchwise - so I don't mess up its appearance. But there are several crossovers where I'll simply wire one of the switches to both Cobalts in the pairing, so driving them in tandem. This could have saved me a few switches, but if I ever want to switch them individually I can go back to that. Thanks for your comments.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

I seem to remember the starter button was on the floor of the early Minivan, as the eldest lad accidently stepped on it.....The Mini was in first gear and proceeded to jolt its way to the edge of the quay in Holyhead. Needless to say I was out of the traps faster than a Greyhound. I hated being so low down and prefered the 'commercial' drivers upright position in the old Rover 105, or me latest Farmwaggon...

Oi Oi that starter saved Austin/Morris the cost of a key-switch so the car could be bought by almost anyone. On the other hand I too would have enjoyed a Rover 105.. We drove Minis 400+ miles from Wellington to Auckland and an 848cc version with three+bags could stay at around 70mph on the flat, just like an ECML express! These modern young people don't know they're alive... mutter mutter the roads back around 1965-1970 were rather empy then too... we had a law which required all goods over about 50miles to go by rail...

Rob

p.s. wot's all this about soldering and switches? I re-wired a 1957 Jaguar a few years ago and to save money bought all the wire in pink... it was in the bargain bin so the whole job cost about 20 quid. An ohm-meter (ohmeter?) wasd rather useful!