RMweb

New OO gauge Class 73

Have commented on the exec livery one on Facebook and got a "like" from them along with the more general "Thanks for all the comments, they are much appreciated. We will endeavour to get all these corrections in place prior to production."

Here's hoping they are able to get the changes made!

Guy

• Like 1

Livery errors - well I have an airbrush (that doesnt owe me anything) and plenty of cotton buds , so they are the least of my worries - if a roof panel is the wrong color for example - I can respray it in the time it would take to go online and write about it.

Of greater concern would be if it runs properly, is well made , i,e doesn't fall apart and is well designed inside. That stuff is much harder to judge from livery samples, and much harder to fix.

Jon 

• RMweb Premium

I think it is true that minor livery errors can be corrected, it is also true that the customer shouldn't really have to correct errors on a new model. I think there is a balance between going over the top with criticism and not criticising errors. I have bought a lot of models which have livery errors or errors in other ways and on the whole have been happy with them but equally it is fair to highlight errors. Provided it is done in a spirit of supportive and constructive feedback and not in the way of brandishing a hatchet then such feedback is an important part of product improvement I think.

On these Class73 models my impression is that they look excellent and I really look forward to getting a blue one and a large logo blue one. Hopefully the errors noted on the samples will be corrected, after a very troubled period since DJ left it'll be nice to see them make a stir with this model.

I would highly stress that anyone who holds concern on here, writes a well intended email to Andy or Joel at Dapol. Having met them at shows, they are very friendly and always open for a conversation. I have already emailed them myself and had nothing but a welcoming reply with assurance that these are development samples and the production shall take account of corrections.

I would not want anyone on here to be disappointed for not contacting Dapol, if the mistakes discussed where not noted to them and subsequently made into production.

I think the model looks outstanding, a marked improvement on the crude Hornby one. It is a truly welcomed model to the collector and modeller and I am delighted with how it looks, utterly understanding these are samples and being happy that it is better to wait for a brilliant model than a half baked one. Yes it has taken time, but Chinese manufacturers dont put priority to UK commissions.

Considering that the Chinese manufactures do leave mistakes to all UK based companies products in development, repeatedly not following instruction is well reported all over this forum with countless models and companies. It was brave and welcomed for Dapol to show us these samples. I do not think in other industries companies are showing their products in development, and all the challenges faced.

We only need look at the other manufacturer of a Class 73, Hornby to see countless errors in livery applications across all products. It is not unique to Dapol and I think we need to reserve judgement until we have bought the model in our hands. Until then, I would say email the friendly Dapol team with your observations.

Discussion on a forum is one thing, action though creates advances in all aspects of the world.

• Like 5

Well said 159220

I think people poking holes in samples need to hold off until the released models are here. If any problems are there then & only then should people comment about inaccuracies.

I'm sure as a product to sell you would hope the development team would have ironed out any errors before they hit the shelves.

I'm sure of one thing, this will be lightyears ahead of the ageing limby model that's been the only 73 for the oo modeller. Dapol has produced some fine models in the western & 22 so I'm sure this will be no different.

• Like 1

I think people poking holes in samples need to hold off until the released models are here. If any problems are there then & only then should people comment about inaccuracies.

This is exactly what people shouldn't do!!  If you re-read 159220's post you'll see he isn't advocating this either.

Dapol have done the right thing by making the pre-production samples available for people to comment on and a plethora of errors have been found.  We have then notified Dapol who can correct the errors and will sell many more models as a result, which is good for all of us. 

If we only offer constructive criticism on the finished models then it's too late!  Are you honestly saying you would rather have inaccurate models sitting on the shelves of model shops than offer some feedback at an earlier stage so more of the models sell?!

Edited by BR(S)
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have communicated with Dapol and provided them with a summary of the corrections require, as highlighted by a number of sources as well as my own observations, to the samples and have been advised that they intend to made the changes necessary before production.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Graham and good for Dapol to reply promptly. I am still awaiting any form of acknowledgement from Bachmann having sent Dennis Lovett a portfolio of photographs to show the real life weathering on Southwest Trains Class 450s over two months ago, perhaps they didn't want to know how they really look! I sent the package by recorded post and to be signed for so it should have arrived by now!

Godfrey

I would highly stress that anyone who holds concern on here, writes a well intended email to Andy or Joel at Dapol. Having met them at shows, they are very friendly and always open for a conversation. I have already emailed them myself and had nothing but a welcoming reply with assurance that these are development samples and the production shall take account of corrections.

This is a good suggestion but given that there is no publicised email address on Dapol's website for these people (in fact no email address at all, not even on the "Contact Us" page!) they aren't going to get much feedback this way.

I'd suggest that people do what a few of us here have done and to contact them via their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dapol-Ltd/214563285228094). They are definitely tracking comments posted on there.

I have communicated with Dapol and provided them with a summary of the corrections require, as highlighted by a number of sources as well as my own observations, to the samples and have been advised that they intend to made the changes necessary before production.

Did you bring up the roof dimples or just the livery-related issues?

Guy

This is a good suggestion but given that there is no publicised email address on Dapol's website for these people (in fact no email address at all, not even on the "Contact Us" page!) they aren't going to get much feedback this way.

In all about a minute google produces email addresses for Dapol with first name@Dapol.co.uk. This information came from the Dapol website under various pages. 

I am delighted RMWebbers have contacted Dapol direct, would hate for disappointment.

In all about a minute google produces email addresses for Dapol with first name@Dapol.co.uk. This information came from the Dapol website under various pages. 

I am delighted RMWebbers have contacted Dapol direct, would hate for disappointment.

I'm not sure where you are looking or what search terms you are using. A search for "Joel Dapol Email" in Google turned up no relevant results on the first results page.

I don't agree that this is as easy as you make out.

Guy

Did you bring up the roof dimples or just the livery-related issues?

Guy

I mentioned the bizarre roof 'dimples' some time ago to Dapol, and they insisted that the prototype has such dimples.  I've looked at hundreds of photographs and am yet to find one such "dimple roofed" example.  No idea as to what on earth Dapol are looking at... Worrying.

Edited by darkjunglemung

I mentioned the bizarre roof 'dimples' some time ago to Dapol, and they insisted that the prototype has such dimples.  I've looked at hundreds of photographs and am yet to find one such "dimple roofed" example.  No idea as to what on earth Dapol are looking at... Worrying.

Sorry, but what roof dimples do you mean please? I can only see the four bolts at the corner of each roof cover on the model, which compare well to the prototype. Are there are others on the model?

Sorry, but what roof dimples do you mean please? I can only see the four bolts at the corner of each roof cover on the model, which compare well to the prototype. Are there are others on the model?

See pages 8 and 9 of this thread..... The answer lies there.

These:

post-7525-0-23629500-1439299657.jpg

Most prototype photos show the roof line being straight, but it looks concave on this photo of the unfinished pre-prod samples and on the liveried samples. It is particularly noticeable on the BR blue liveried sample(s).

There is some debate here and on other forums (where constructive criticism is not immediately construed as "Dapol bashing"!) as to whether this is prototypical or not with the balance of opinion suggesting that the majority of prototype examples don't exhibit concave patches on the cab roofs .

It won't put me off buying a couple of them though!

Guy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The more I look at these pre-production models, the more i'm convinced I was wrong that they looked a bit odd.... Must have been the images Kernow posted up.... However does the body look any better than the Lima one? Guess it depends how closely you look at. The mu cables for one are the biggest improvement in that respect. The chassis however will be lightyears away from even the Hornby one, and might just persuade me to get one.

Mind you, already having 3 Limby ones and a Kernow 2h on order, SWMBO would take a lot of persuading.....

• Like 1

These:

attachicon.gif

post-21774-0-34347900-1417075063_thumb.jpg

Most prototype photos show the roof line being straight, but it looks concave on this photo of the unfinished pre-prod samples and on the liveried samples. It is particularly noticeable on the BR blue liveried sample(s).

There is some debate here and on other forums (where constructive criticism is not immediately construed as "Dapol bashing"!) as to whether this is prototypical or not with the balance of opinion suggesting that the majority of prototype examples don't exhibit concave patches on the cab roofs .

It won't put me off buying a couple of them though!

Guy

With regards to the dimples I found that bizarre also so had a quick look.

http://www.martinbray-ukloco.com/images/class73/73107-eastleigh-120593.jpg

The link there does seem to have a dimple in the roof of some kind unless it's a funny camera angle.

There's a very good chance that the rooflines were perfect on delivery, but several decades of "real-life" maintenance will take its toll on body panels. I can just imagine how many times a fitter has climbed a mini-scaffold and then placed a knee on the cab roof to work on or replace the air horns... that could be the cause of your "dimples"... simple dents in the roof sheet steel. If those dents are there when a loco was scanned, they will make it into the scan and likely they'll make it into the finished model. Those dimples could very well be authentic for all the wrong reasons.

Edited by Pete 75C

IMO the Class 73 does have those dimples, it just boils down to camera angles and lighting. The camera angle obviously plays a major role. The lighting then does the other bit with highlighting and darkening certain areas of faces.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There's a very good chance that the rooflines were perfect on delivery, but several decades of "real-life" maintenance will take its toll on body panels. I can just imagine how many times a fitter has climbed a mini-scaffold and then placed a knee on the cab roof to work on or replace the air horns... that could be the cause of your "dimples"... simple dents in the roof sheet steel. If those dents are there when a loco was scanned, they will make it into the scan and likely they'll make it into the finished model. Those dimples could very well be authentic for all the wrong reasons.

I have a feeling that the cab roofs were fibreglass, but the rest of the roof was steel, except the bit over the engine. But i'll be happy to be proved wrong on that. I may even have it the wrong way round, lol.

Just looked through a lot of photos for dimples!  Most don't seem to show them but there are definitely some with them.  I probably wouldn't have included them on the model, but they won't put me off.  As with the photos of the real things I've looked at, Dapol's pictures of the models show them more obviously on some liveries than others.

Also found this website: http://railpicsgb.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/br-class-73-cleverest-box-of-tricks.html

I understand now - I remember the "dimples" as the "thumbprints" from the earlier discussion. They look entirely as I remember them (in the '80's) but probably weren't like that from new. As some of you have said, hot sun or fitters' boots or bottoms could equally have affected the shape.