New OO gauge Class 73

• 2 weeks later...

Just received a message from Hattons that they expect delivery July/August! However, they are also offering a sound equipped model (with sound from Olivias Trains). I prefer the Howes version (as it has the flashover effect and also has a better functionality for electric mode) but Howes' version is still 8 pin (for the Hornby model) whereas the Dapol model needs a 21/22 pin chip (for which Olivias is correct). I have asked Howes if they are going to produce a 21 pin version shortly. They are getting back to me.

Just received a message from Hattons that they expect delivery July/August! However, they are also offering a sound equipped model (with sound from Olivias Trains). I prefer the Howes version (as it has the flashover effect and also has a better functionality for electric mode) but Howes' version is still 8 pin (for the Hornby model) whereas the Dapol model needs a 21/22 pin chip (for which Olivias is correct). I have asked Howes if they are going to produce a 21 pin version shortly. They are getting back to me.

If not, would something like this work?: http://www.ehattons.com/20651/Bachmann_Branchline_36_559_DCC_21_pin_to_8_pin_adaptor_converter_For_locos_with_21_pin_sockets_to_use_an_8_/StockDetail.aspx

Thanks - probably, if there is enough room in the body. It was a tight squeeze with the Hornby make, just to fit the chip and the speakers in!

There's also a very good one from Legomanbiffo that you can ask Charlie at DC kits for on a 21 pin to keep things simple.

Thanks

Mark

I agree Legomanbiffo does do some very good sounds. However, on the 73, the functionalities are lacking compared to Howes - no shunt speed, no arcing flashover sound, no mute function, which are all essential for me. Likewise on the 33, no clag or rev up/rev down function, or shunt speed or mute. So, good but not Carling. It is the same problem although different in detail, with the Olivias versions. I will use Howes.

Mike, if they have the sound project, then it will go on to any version (number of pins or even the hard-wired type) of the LokSound 4 decoders, as long as they have a way to plug or connect the decoder in to program it (I usually program with the decoder in situ in a suitable chassis). 

I was one of the testers for Bryan's original version of the class 73 sound (for Howes) on LokSound 3.5 decoders. He upgraded and refined it a little before releasing it for general sale. I have since had mine reblown with the production version, still on version 3.5 LokSound. I'm not sure if he has improved it for LokSound v4, but I would be surprised if he hasn't done so.

I also have another 73 with Legomanbiffo sounds. That has a few other refinements, such as the ability to start the diesel engine while on the move.

Both are good in their own ways and each has a few features that are one up on the other. Both benefit from a decent speaker set up.

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if anyone will do the two variants of 73/9 sound? The single engine MTU in the Brush/GBRf or the dual engine Cummins in the NR/RVEL.

Cheers,

Mick

Delivery of this Dapol ED is like some kind of never ending story! I'm desperately trying to resist the temptation to rewheel my old Lima ED and throw some Crafstman detailing parts at it. Come to think of it, perhaps that's exactly what I should do, then Sod's Law dictates the Dapol container will arrive tomorrow...

• Like 2

picture of rail blue version on page M11 (model section) of issue 230 july 2015 Rail Express.

Saw the picture yesterday; if the model is as good in-the-flesh, it'll be superb.

Caption said a few tweaks were needed to the blue livery (e.g. TOPS number size) and other livery samples were being received by Dapol soon for review and tweaking.

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the pics in RE this will be a fantastic model, worth the wait. What with this and the Bachmann Class 43 on final approach it looks like it'll be an expensive few weeks ahead.

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure I saw a blue one being examined by a couple of traders on Saturday at DEMU. It wasn't an old model as it had a moulded on front headlamp. Couldn't grt to close though.

Please tell me the "early blue" version 4D-006-005 E6039 does NOT have a headlight!  If it does they've lost a sale or two on account of a major and avoidable error.

Desperately hope no headlight or orange cantrail stripe on BR Blue Tops ones or even just one of them.

These things are easy to fit should anyone wish to do so if not present on a model, but so very much harder to remove if already there. 

Will have to cancel my order if they are there so fingers crossed they're not!

Desperately hope no headlight or orange cantrail stripe on BR Blue Tops ones or even just one of them.

Definitely didn't see a cantrail stripe in the Rail Express picture, but not sure about headlight.

There are some artworks on Olivias site - I am not sure whether they are in production as planned in May for a June/July delivery, but the information on the Dapol site does correspond with Olivias

Colours seem pretty much spot on, I am looking rather forward to the arrival of the 73s!

143136377173205_CROPPED.jpg143136378373141_CROPPED.jpg143136379873207_CROPPED.jpg

Olivia's site now have these due around September. Nothing as yet on Dapols site to say any other the other Class 73's have been delayed but don't quote me on this. Maybe they have gone back to Dapol's version of Loughborough Works for modifications like the real Class 73/9's