New OO gauge Class 73

I think we'll be lucky to see them this year if their waiting for a second set of deco samples to sign off? Still I'm happy to wait. I remember talking to the Dapol rep at Ally Pally who scoffed at me when I said end of 2013-in reply to his comment about them being available in 2012!

Agreed, and I too would rather wait while they correct the livery errors.  Better to spend a little more time getting things right.

A few other livery errors that I noted on the larger pics linked to kindly by an earlier poster. E6039 is not electric blue but Rail Blue. 

Hey,

I've corrected it. My apologies as the Class 73 and it's earlier liveries existed much before I was born. I was given wrong information regarding the livery and hence the mistake.

Can anyone tell me what is the difference between the JA and JB versions? Is it technical or aesthetic? 

A bit of both. JA have an extra jumper cable on the front ends, and slightly different grille and window arrangements on the sides. Traction motors and gearing are different. Some of the underbody gear is different and there are differences in the bogies as well. The JBs were built entirely by English Electric. 

JAs were delivered in green, with some variations (grey or no grey band, yellow or no yellow panels), with the first three having oval buffers (I'm not sure when they lost these ... possibly when shopped into BR blue). The first JBs were delivered in matt BR blue (or English Electric's version of same!) with grey roofs and lower bands and no BR arrows, with later deliveries omitting the grey band, and later still delivered in BR blue all over with full yellow ends.

That's a quick summary and not intended as a detailed description of every difference between the types.

About as predictable as a forecast as to which gauge you will be modelling next!..... :stinker:

Oi! That's actually preTTy true though... HOnestly! Some people will think I can't make my miNd up...

• RMweb Premium

Don't like the blue, whether electric or rail, on the yellow SWP version E6039. It looks too dark for my taste even if it is "correct". And it's a bit worrying if Dapol is saying for 73124 only that the headlight will be removed but nothing about those oversized numbers.

As others have said this is a marginal item for me too, so unless it really really good, I will be sticking to the Limby ones.

Oi! That's actually preTTy true though... HOnestly! Some people will think I can't make my miNd up...

1 suggestion: perhaps you should have a doZe and sleep on it for a bit!

I've said it P4 and I'll say it again... yes, I do change my mind frequently! When the Dapol 73 does finally hit the shops, I'll no doubt want one again. As long as it doesn't have a pantograph and 7 headlights at each end...

• Like 1

I've said it P4 and I'll say it again... yes, I do change my mind frequently! When the Dapol 73 does finally hit the shops, I'll no doubt want one again. As long as it doesn't have a pantograph and 7 headlights at each end...

Keep EM coming!!

• RMweb Premium

The Lima Class 73 was an excellent model in its day and since the basic shape was well captured it remains a good model and great starting point for some detail work. With the Hornby motor bogie it is a quiet and smooth runner too. The Hornby ex-Lima models with the Hornby motor bogie will not have the ultimate pulling power of more modern mechanisms but they are sweet runners and have sufficient power for most people I think.

I am excited by the Dapol model and unless the model as realised drops some proper klangers will be buying two (blue and large logo blue).

1 suggestion: perhaps you should have a doZe and sleep on it for a bit!

Keep EM coming!!

So how many Scales and/or gauges have we missed, Turns out to be a great game.

Edited by WDP4D
  • Like 1

That's subjective. Can we please get back on topic now?

:onthequiet: SpOilspOrt...

You're right though... we really should get back on topic. Various panic attacks over the prospect of a possible tiny discrepancy in the height of a TOPS number was really interesting.

I do sometimes forget that there's no place for humour in the exciting world of model railways...

That's subjective. Can we please get back on topic now?

Ok boss.....lets get back to the rather boring "Bash Dapol" posts.... :) Personally I found that very boring though. Thank heavens for those who have a sense of humour!! :D

• Like 1

And back to Dapol...  :stinker:

I've not really been following this thread or product development, although I have to say it looks to be a cracking model - lots of fine detail which seems to be captured well.  I'll definitely one, probably in the BR blue/small warning panel. 

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone tell me what is the difference between the JA and JB versions? Is it technical or aesthetic? 

A bit of both. JA have an extra jumper cable on the front ends, and slightly different grille and window arrangements on the sides. Traction motors and gearing are different. Some of the underbody gear is different and there are differences in the bogies as well. The JBs were built entirely by English Electric. 

For those of a TOPS persuasion. JA is 73/0 and JB is 73/1 (and later 73/2's were ex-JB's)

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

But what about the other livery errors other than the typeface?

I'd rather speak out now in the hope that Dapol are reading this and correct all the livery issues that I mentioned on the exec liveried one. Staying silent isn't an option.

Let's hope they are listening!

Cheers,

Guy

Hi

You would be better off emailing Dapol direct than hoping that they read the forum. This has been done in the past with good effect.

Cheers

Paul

Dapol Collectors Club green E6001

Does anybody know precisely the period during which E6001 carried this livery - i.e. all over green (no grey stripe at bottom of body) with syp ?  It seems to be correct for 1962, but when did it cease to carry this livery ?

Dated photographs on the internet show:

-  11 March 1962  -  all over green with syp (i.e. as per proposed model) - ex-works paintwork - (no grey stripe)

-  6 October 1962  -  ditto  -  good quality paintwork

-  August 1968  -  all over BLUE with fye

Combined volume Ian Allan ABCs have different photos of E6001 (dates refer to the date of SR stock lists):

-  9 December 1963  -  all over green with syp

-  20 July 1964  -  green syp with grey stripe at bottom of bodywork and thin white line separating green and grey areas

-  20 November 1964  -  same as July but different photo

In my personal collection I have a photo by F Day of E6001 (not attached for copyright reasons) in green syp and grey stripe as described above, in which the green body paint is showing distinct signs of ageing. 

From the above, it is clear that whatever livery E6001 may have been ex-works, by 11 March 1962 it had all over green with syp, but by mid-1964 it had acquired a lower bodywork grey stripe with white line between the grey and green paintwork.

Can anybody give a more precise date as to when E6001 acquired its grey stripe ?

While having a look for some photos for the question in #448, I came across this excellent picture; a wealth of SR detail in there (with my username, you can probably guess I'm very interested in the Dapol 73s!).

15027535181_0b16139f7d_c.jpgStrood Station in the mid 1960s with an early 'E' (E6001 possibly) numbered class 73 seen working a 4B freight. I Cuthbertson collection by Ian Cuthbertson, on Flickr

Edited by BR(S)
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Kernow have pictures with the comment to the effect that these are pre production models, with livery inaccuracies.

And I have a comment from "Dapol" on their Facebook feed - therefore presumed to be official - to the effect that the blue ones will not have a headlight.