RMweb

New OO gauge Class 73

• RMweb Gold

My Royal Alex was waiting outside for me - good job it hadnt rained since as no plastic wrapping.

Looks very good although I will have to add microstrip to the sides to push them out a little.

Edited by roundhouse

Thanks for the royal alex postings and for forthcoming images.

Didn't realise it had a black nameplate background on the real thing, I am sure I have only seen it with brown myself.

One final thing (to help me personally), who is the delivery company GM use please? Leaving it on the doorstep is not great. I have 'issues' with certain carriers delivering to my address. Surprised GM didn't insist on signed delivery to cover themselves for such an expensive item.

Edited by sanspareil

• RMweb Premium

The name plates on 73101 in both Pullman incarnations and both names were BROWN as per the printed ones.  The etched ones supplied (in BEA at least) are BLACK and therefore wrong.

The name plates on 73101 in both Pullman incarnations and both names were BROWN as per the printed ones.  The etched ones supplied (in BEA at least) are BLACK and therefore wrong.

John,

This is not true, they were both brown, but Royal Alex changed to black at a later date, I don't have dated pictures to say when.

Cheers.

• RMweb Gold

John,

This is not true, they were both brown, but Royal Alex changed to black at a later date, I don't have dated pictures to say when.

Cheers.

In preservation, "The Royal Alex" plates on 101 were black on Dean Forest Railway in July 06

I don't agree about the top brown but do agree about the striping (but this is marginal).

Of course I am comparing to my photos of Royal Alex in May 1997 and not Brighton Evening Argus so this could explain some of the differences.

Regardless I hope that you don't mind my comments as they are not a criticism as we could both be right depending upon when the livery was first applied and then reapplied.

i put a link to a photo of BEA shunting at Tonbridge, and the depth of the brown along the cant rail is a lot deeper than the model

Edited by 47606odin

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sparrowhawk7/7145823247heres another photo of BEA (not royal alex) showing the depth of the upper brown being lower than the window tops

Taking a close look at various photos, I can see that the brown extends to the bottom of the upper rim of the door window (painted brown) which can be opened up/down. I think that this explains why I thought that the model is right. The model itself doesn't have the upper rim on the door window. The difference is small but I think that you are correct.

• RMweb Premium

My Royal Alex was waiting outside for me - good job it hadnt rained since as no plastic wrapping.

Looks very good although I will have to add microstrip to the sides to push them out a little.

See my #970, from which I have copied info from Dapol:

"Regarding the bowing which you have noted: This is in all probability caused by the model having received a jolt during transit, causing the cab to become unclipped from the body, (this will spread the sides).

With the body removed from the chassis, please check that the cab moulding retaining clips are fitted correctly into their location within the bodyshell. (You will find a drawing within the documentation showing how to remove the cab). The body is moulded to fit the chassis without a gap, and adding a plastic strip will merely ensure the body flairs out (incorrectly) along its entire length."

• RMweb Gold

See my #970, from which I have copied info from Dapol:

"Regarding the bowing which you have noted: This is in all probability caused by the model having received a jolt during transit, causing the cab to become unclipped from the body, (this will spread the sides).

With the body removed from the chassis, please check that the cab moulding retaining clips are fitted correctly into their location within the bodyshell. (You will find a drawing within the documentation showing how to remove the cab). The body is moulded to fit the chassis without a gap, and adding a plastic strip will merely ensure the body flairs out (incorrectly) along its entire length."

Even with the cabs properly clipped in place th body still bows in. Having added the microstrip the body is now straight. Yet to do Royal Alex but it would appear that the cabs are seated correctly as there is no gap between cab and chassis but the sides still bow in

Hi all can someone please help i received my class 73 Pullman today and detail wise it is awesome against the Hornby version but the shade of Brown looks way to light, So my question is the Dapol brown to light or the Hornby to dark or are both just wrong.

I spent some time researching last night and can defiantly say that the oo gauge Brighton Evening Argus is defiantly way too light, Such a shame as i was so looking forward to this loco but it looks awful against my coaches, I also think that the font for Pullman does not look right either. Anyway mine is making its way back to the shop for a full refund.

What coaches are you running it with, the more recent higher quality Hornby Pullmans (as opposed to older or railroad)?

I think the Hornby loco livery rendition was somewhat darker than the original Lima version? The GM is more in line with the Lima one?

PS Has anyone bothered tackling the over thick exhaust plate yet? Is it easy to remove? Maybe if they see there is a demand Shawplan et al may look to produce a replacement?

PPS I have had the latest BRM through my letter box today, includes a review of the dutch 73.

Edited by sanspareil

Hi thanks for your reply Sanspareil, I am running with the proper lit Pullman coaches which are all the same shade as the Hornby Pullman loco. As i want it to run with these it looks way out of place so will now fully detail my Hornby one instead.

• Like 1

So Todays Starter for 10 - Will Dapol listen to the retailers now who are suddenly stuck with returns, or will they (Dapol) think that since only X% were returned its ok and continue to make/sell them without improvments. Keep in mind that not every modeller is going to be upset about all the 73's issues

• Like 2

So Todays Starter for 10 - Will Dapol listen to the retailers now who are suddenly stuck with returns, or will they (Dapol) think that since only X% were returned its ok and continue to make/sell them without improvments. Keep in mind that not every modeller is going to be upset about all the 73's issues

Very much doubt it as usual it will get swept under the nearest rug.

I spent some time researching last night and can defiantly say that the oo gauge Brighton Evening Argus is defiantly way too light, Such a shame as i was so looking forward to this loco but it looks awful against my coaches, I also think that the font for Pullman does not look right either. Anyway mine is making its way back to the shop for a full refund.

I received my BEA today. Colour is a very difficult subject, I thought the same as you too light, however, a few of the photos I have show a lighter brown to that used under sunny conditions. I have similar pics of Royal Alex too. The real VSOE Pullmans have been painted several times and the rake is quite a light brown now (Hornby is darker which is most likely right for an earlier period?).

There are many errors on this livery, I will try and improve it. The most difficult piece will be repositioning the nameplate on one side.

Should the model come with etched plates?

Cheers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I received my BEA today. Colour is a very difficult subject, I thought the same as you too light, however, a few of the photos I have show a lighter brown to that used under sunny conditions. I have similar pics of Royal Alex too. The real VSOE Pullmans have been painted several times and the rake is quite a light brown now (Hornby is darker which is most likely right for an earlier period?).

There are many errors on this livery, I will try and improve it. The most difficult piece will be repositioning the nameplate on one side.

Should the model come with etched plates?

Cheers.

There are printed on plates plus etched plates in a little bag. As to how easy it is to remove the printed ones, I have yet to find out.

There are printed on plates plus etched plates in a little bag. As to how easy it is to remove the printed ones, I have yet to find out.

Basically after a lot more research it would seem before the 90s it was in dark Brown and after it was a lighter Brown when i saw the loco in person in the 80s it was defiantly dark Brown, As for the nameplates they should have Brown backgrounds but more recently the Alex did have Black. The issue is and correct me if i am wrong but most people will want to run these with Pullman coaches and as the only decent ones (Actually excellent) are Hornby would it not have been sense economically and cosmetically to match the shade of Brown with them. What really baffles me is i had a Dapol N gauge Alex and Brighton and both where in the darker Brown. 

I wonder what happens/what is the legal situation with returned locos? Those with faults (whether the retailer agrees with the buyer or not) I guess will go back to Dapol, but what about all those that are just dissatisfied with livery type issues or just return under distance selling regulations with almost no reason? I thought after the Dixons incident some years ago they can't just be put back on the shelf can they (although I bet it still happens!)?

My Royal Alex is due next week, I am still a little nervous (far more nervous than I should be at spending £130), I should almost be buying a BMW/Mercedes Benz of models at this price not concerned I am going to get one with wonky buffers etc. I have not read up on the SLW class 24's but weren't these supposed to the Gold standard Rolls Royce of models, with masses more detail than this 73 and no errors etc for not a lot more than the 73's for an analogue version? If the 24 is pretty much perfect (I assume the 24 is Chinese made) then China can do perfection (with proper supplier management)?

Edited by sanspareil