ModelRail USTC 0-6-0 Tank Loco Project USA

Andy Y

Wot..... no WORTH VALLEY liveried version????

http://www.flickr.co...007/6930292108/

Mike Wiltshire

Bachmann did a limited edition KWVR-liveried model of No. 41241 (the KWVR's Ivatt 2-6-2T) so you never know! I doubt very much that the brown and silver livery would go down well with the majority of modellers as well as it might with KWVR supporters :)

Cheers,

Will

That's the first I'd ever heard of a Longmoor USA tank! I knew they had plenty of Austerity tanks (the Hunslet ones). Do you have a photograph of WD300 (which I understand was named Frank S Ross and built by Davenport)? Was it identical to the Porter and Vulcan ones? I gather a photo of this tank was sold on e-bay last year but can't access it any more.

How long do you have to wait for a Longmoor version? Possibly the second batch - with the emphasis on possibly at this stage. It depends how quickly people buy the first batch but we do have one person in the office who favours a Longmoor example.

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 1

That'll be one in USATC Grey, one in Br Green and the Longmoor one please. And a couple of sentinels too! Thank god I model preserved railways :) no other excuse to run this stuff together :)

Edited by Edge
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Great news. I've already pre-ordered 30064 in BR lined green, but am slightly confused. Model Rail magazine says its in BR lined green, but the MR Offers website says:

"MR-104 Dapol USA 0-6-0T Steam Locomotive number 30064 in BR Lined Malachite Green livery with late crest."

Presumably the reference to Malachite is a mistake and it will be bog standard BR lined green. If not I will have to cancel my order and wait for a later batch.

Edited by brushman47544

Presumably the reference to Malachite is a mistake and it will be bog standard BR lined green.

It's not a mistake; the green used (and someone more knowledgeable than I will confirm) was, I believe, lighter than standard BR green and closer to Malachite.

See

http://www.semgonlin.../cd_30070-1.jpg

http://www.flickr.co...don/5029428819/

http://www.flickr.co...ton/5512188775/

Best shot: http://www.flickr.com/photos/16749798@N08/3163782173/lightbox/

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I concur with Andy the green used on the USA tanks was never Brunswick (to which I assume you mean by bog standard) but closer to Malachite and it was certainly referred to as such.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I am in contact with some American 00 enthusiasts about this model and they are asking if it would be possible to convert the model to 19mm gauge. I presume it will be convertable to EM or P4, if so it should be possible to convert to 19mm.

Put Venator down for two models! ;)

If Dapol release more variants then I'll keep buying! Maybe there's a chance Dapol would release one or both of the K&ESR's preserved USA Tanks? Certainly the K&ESR's have seen more use than the KWVR's and the Bluebell's put together!

Hi Venator,

Nowt to do with Dapol, we are making it for Model Rail and as they own the tools they can have made what they want, when they want.

Mail Model Rail and put forward your suggestions, they are a great bunch who will listen.

cheers

Dave

Hi Venator,

Nowt to do with Dapol, we are making it for Model Rail and as they own the tools they can have made what they want, when they want.

Mail Model Rail and put forward your suggestions, they are a great bunch who will listen.

cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave, I will mail model rail as you suggest.

Awesome project, I've been waiting for this for year! I think it will be a success because most people in Rolvenden workshop will be buying one!!

Venator

• RMweb Premium

Bloke in a pub told me that one if these was trialled at Wadebridge to replace the BWTs. Obviously there were no records or photos but that's good enough justification for me...... ;-p

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

At one time they all did

And a note. For those wanting an excuse to run one. My source is "The story of tHe Southern USA tanks" by Kevin Robertson. Several locos were temporarily loaned in 1955 to the LMR for shunting duties. 30061 to Kentish Town and 30066 to Rugby and Bank Hall Liverpool. 30061 was later lent again and ventured to Cricklewood

I didn't know about the Bank hall loan, that is interesting.

it wasnt the first time they where used in Liverpool however, in 1943 5 USA dock tanks where used on Liverpool docks. USA numbers 1304,1313, 1967,4396 and 4400. returning to the USA authorities in 1944.

many more where offloaded at Liverpool and sent away coupled into goods trains to storage sites.

I wonder if the 5 used where fitted with spark arrestors, smoke deflectors and bells which where required on Liverpools dock lines?

Edited by michael delamar

funily enough I was reading Tony Wright's article in Railway modeller nov 1997 the other day on how he built the SE Finecast kit, i remember the article well as I quite fancied one at the time, even though I was still in school back when I first read it.

also because of the feature in Railway roundabout 1958 on Southampton docks I quite liked them, I remember my dad's opinion on them, something along the lines of "thats the most god awful thing ive ever seen"

anyway, thinking to myself id quite like one of them, but it doesnt fit in with what I normally model which is Liverpool in the 50s/60s.

but discovering the loan of one to Bank hall for a couple of months in 1955 has made me think id like one even more so I think ill order one of these, the early crest version in BR black and renumber it as 30066.

some pages of the book mentioned by nnich is available to read on google books as a preview, luckily it has the page which descrives the move up to Liverpool and also a nice pic of 30066 just not long before it was loaned out..

page 33...

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Irb97iYIMyIC&pg=PA32&lpg=PA32&dq=usa+tank+30066&source=bl&ots=QZnVK9YeNz&sig=wjz7W-SJZiOS1vumzFyxm3Wh-rc&hl=en#v=onepage&q&f=true

• Like 1