Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Train Spotting... At Work

As my job takes me to Barrow on a very regular basis I get to watch the goings on along the northern reaches of the WCML and looking out for surprises at Carnforth.

Today managed to miss three freight trains, just as I departed Lancaster going south a northbound Freightliner coal train zoomed through and I missed the locomotive. At Salford i missed a 60 on a stone train, then at Oxford Road I missed the locomotive on a southbound Freightliner. I wouldn't make a good trainspotter these days!

I bet no-one can beat this one today: fellow RMWebber spotting at work :angel:

I'll spare his blushes, but I can say with confidence that one of our esteemed number started in this portion of the Tech Centre yesterday; we've already put the world to rights on various subjects!

######... by JamesWells, on Flickr

But thankfully a couple of seconds earlier -

60007 passing Gilberdyke with 6J94 by JamesWells, on Flickr

... and "snap" an hour or so later, passing Rotherham, not having gained any more graffiti en route:

post-6971-0-35319900-1378238398.jpg

(not strictly trainspotting at work, more trainspotting while skiving off/procrastinating/avoiding stuff I didn't want to do - the joys of self-employment)

Marland House ?

(with Wood St. car park in the foreground)

Brian R

It is from Southgate House (unless it has been re-named), and yes it is the top floor of Wood St. multi-storey.

I haven't been there for 6 years, so have no idea how things have changed, except that the old bus station building has gone. I thought that was listed, being an art-deco style structure.

I go to school next to the North and West route. So I regularly see 158, 175, 60, 66, 67 and the odd 70. I have observed passing 60007, 66703, 70013, 57314, 67002 and 66522.

Showing my age .....

I, and my brother ("naturol"  of this parish) both attended Cantonian High School in Cardiff; albeit a few years apart.

The school is alongside what is now known as "The City Line" and sees but a diet of Cl.142/143 and 150/2 units.

However, in my day there were NO passenger services, just a procession of freights headed by Cl.08/14/25/31/35/37/42/43/45/46/47 and Cl.52 - not to mention Cl.11 shunters en-route to a new life at NB Nantgarw, and ex-GWR 57xx 7754 en-route to a new life at NCB Mountain Ash.

In later life I've seen Classes 20/50/60 and 66 pass by and even 'City of Truro, a Standard Cl.4 2-6-4T and a Hastings Unit.

Not bad eh ?

Brian R

Showing my age .....

I, and my brother ("naturol"  of this parish) both attended Cantonian High School in Cardiff; albeit a few years apart.

The school is alongside what is now known as "The City Line" and sees but a diet of Cl.142/143 and 150/2 units.

However, in my day there were NO passenger services, just a procession of freights headed by Cl.08/14/25/31/35/37/42/43/45/46/47 and Cl.52 - not to mention Cl.11 shunters en-route to a new life at NB Nantgarw, and ex-GWR 57xx 7754 en-route to a new life at NCB Mountain Ash.

In later life I've seen Classes 20/50/60 and 66 pass by and even 'City of Truro, a Standard Cl.4 2-6-4T and a Hastings Unit.

Not bad eh ?

Brian R

No not bad at all. Its a shame I wasnt around to see half of that.

I can see Borough Market Junction from the window.

Nothing unusual usually. Occasionally we get the bright yellow "track measuring"* train usually topped and tailed by 73s. It seems to go in and out of Charing Cross and Cannon Street in the day when it is in the area.

It's a good view on progress on the Thameslink project - bridge across the market etc

* I'm sure a lot of you will know what this actually is.....!

Archived