Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Train Spotting... At Work

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Popped out a little earlier this afternoon following a tip off and was rewarded with top and tail 37's:

post-6910-0-25134600-1349808082_thumb.jpg

37038 even has a proper Stratford Sparrow on it!!! :sungum:

Happened to be over Southampton the other day, managed to get a few shots of Maritime and Millbrook Freightliner terminals.

1. Maritime Depot

post-6849-0-45270700-1350226599.jpg

2. Full view of Maritime.

post-6849-0-28493100-1350226747.jpg

3. Millbrook Terminal

post-6849-0-37440600-1350226870.jpg

They were very quick shots so not the best quality but give a good view of the area.

Cheers

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

As viewed from the box -

post-125-0-05270400-1352302870.jpg

Rail Head Treament Train at Gilberdyke - it arrived as 3S21 and will turn round and go out as 3S22. I think it has 20301 and 20303 powwering it. The best bit is once it's clear of the cross over and you hear them open right up! Fantastic!

• RMweb Premium

Waiting to work the 10:36 to Littlehampton at Haywards Heath on Wednesday morning, this arrived instead on platform 1, a passenger even ran towards it thinking it was her train...

post-6910-0-65503100-1352498306_thumb.jpg

This morning in Brighton meanwhile my 313 to/from West Worthing had morphed into...

post-6910-0-34080200-1352498466_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

A bit of a treat today at Attleborough. I was at a customer's factory in the yard adjacent to Attleborough station when I heard the unmistakable sound of a 'spoon' sounding up. Then, much to my delight, a Pullman liveried 47 came through hauling a rake of MK3's in Pullman livery, plus a DRS 47 (47810 I think) on the tail end.

• 1 month later...

Just heard a strange (for here) internal combustion sound, and to my amazement, a top'n'tail pair of EDs passed by on the Derby - Notts line, under diesel power, obviously! 

Except for the GBRf example we played with on ELL I think that's the only time I've heard them in diesel anger.

• 3 weeks later...

Evening,
Firstly apologies but there is no photo to add to this story but thought I would share this little story with you.

Today saw an unusual working in Dorset, a  couple of DRS 37's working to Winfrith on a "nuclear" training run.

I work close by to the site and my colleagues are well aware of my interests outside of work, which as you would expect comes with the standard ribbing.

I had told the day shift about the working and asked them to take pictures if they were able too, we have a good vantage point at work.

Of course this came with the "sado" comments but they said they would oblige if the opportunity arose.

When I arrived at work this evening I was met with 5 sad faces because they had missed the arrival.
They then left for home. About 10 minutes after they had gone I received 2 phone calls, one after the other from two very excited colleagues telling me that they had just seen the noisey visitors go past on the level crossing.

It did make me laugh, after taking the p##s  out of me it turns out hey were more excited about the whole event than me!

Happy days. Just wondering if its puhing my luck by ordering a few platform 5 spotters books for the office!   

Cheers

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Visited the new Tescos at Prestatyn yesterday. Built just up from the station on the down side. Was waiting for an hour to get in and just happened to be parked next to the fence. Pity it was only 175s and 158s though, but still plenty of them... 

Just got back from what has to be (for me at least) the ultimate "Trainspotting at work trip" dressed up as a two day trip to our Northallerton office....

As well as the usual HSTs, DMUs etc have also seen whilst travelling (and thus on work time!):

"Restormel Castle" and "Pendennis Castle" (57s) at OOC

"Princess" at Paddington.

Several 67s

Almost every colour scheme ever carried by a 66 (except for Shanks and Stobart)

Rail Blue Class 20

DRS 37/47/20 at York (and a BR blue 20 elsewhere).

Plenty of 91s/Mk4/DVT sets, including a quick glimps of "Skyfall" (too quick to photograph) but sadly not BBMF.

The NMT

Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry and a Black 5 outside the NRM.

The Railworld Maglev unit!

Throw in an "extended lunchbreak" on the way back to visit the Poppleton Nurseries railway (unfrtunately not running today) and the NRM and we can add

Bullet Train

Mallard

Dwight D Eisenhower

City of Truro

King George V

Flying Scotsman

Evening Star

Not one, but three Rockets!

Livingston Thompson

And a host of other NRM "goodies" too numerous to name and I think you'll agree I've had a pretty good couple of days!

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Oddly, if the latest resignalling scheme comes to fruition, no signaller will see a train in the course of his normal duties.

The "lucky" few who still have a job by then will be welcome to it!

Whether the job will get done more safely or efficiently when it has been turned into a video game remains to be seen.

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived