Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Train Spotting... At Work

Ok, I admit it..... I am mobile for work... I can take the odd detour.....

Today's (after completing my work) was a quick trip to Reading West....

Managed to see 60063 on Murcos, 66230 on cars, 59101 on empty Mendips and 70008 (vid attached)

Well worth the £2 return fare from Reading Main...

I recently found this site: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/

If you got to "Advanced" you can put in your local station (or in fact most points around the network), the times, and select "non passenger" from "All Schedules" for unusual workings although empty stock workings are also listed.

I discovered two weekend freight workings I never knew about at my local station, a stone train and a container train, which I hope to phot soon.

Might help some of you figure out if there's anything particularly worth getting your camera out for - and of course you can see when it's due so you can be prepared.

If you got to "Advanced" you can put in your local station (or in fact most points around the network), the times, and select "non passenger" from "All Schedules" for unusual workings although empty stock workings are also listed.

I discovered two weekend freight workings I never knew about at my local station, a stone train and a container train, which I hope to phot soon.

Might help some of you figure out if there's anything particularly worth getting your camera out for - and of course you can see when it's due so you can be prepared.

Hey cromptonut, that is brilliant!! Thanks for posting the link, I'm off to recharge the camera batteries!! :)

had a great view of a huge industrial/sidings complex in Krakow yesterday, although unfortunately didn't have my camera.

I don't know we're allowed to upload images from Google Earth, but the coordinates are 50 04' 21" N, 20 04' 11" E, if you're interested. would be a great inspiration for some sort of layout I'm sure.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, this is a fantastic resource - I use it a lot when I am on the move whether by train (or car) and have some spare time en route to linger between meetings...

I normally have a laptop with me and so can log in (wifi depending) and see what's coming through a particular station - best place for this (I reckon) is York station as you can have a pint of proper beer at the Tap on the platform, do some work emails etc on the laptop, but at the same time keep an eye on what's due, ready to take a pic!

In the 'advance' mode I'd recommend ticking the CAN box so you know what's cancelled - and STP often seems to have the most interesting traction, eg excursions.

cheers,

Keith

I normally have a laptop with me and so can log in (wifi depending) and see what's coming through a particular station - best place for this (I reckon) is York station as you can have a pint of proper beer at the Tap on the platform, do some work emails etc on the laptop, but at the same time keep an eye on what's due, ready to take a pic!

If you know who to ask you can have freight diverted through the station too!

• 2 weeks later...

Realtimetrains alerted me to an engineering train due at about the time I get to the station in the morning yesterday so I got a chance to video it.  Long welded rail train with a pair of 73's each end.  Nice change from a monotonous procession of EMU's with the occasional 165/166 to Gatwick.

• RMweb Gold

Realtimetrains alerted me to an engineering train due at about the time I get to the station in the morning yesterday so I got a chance to video it.  Long welded rail train with a pair of 73's each end.  Nice change from a monotonous procession of EMU's with the occasional 165/166 to Gatwick.

All those people om platform 2 look like they are waiting for the 06.33 FCC train. i avoid that one as it has often been standing room when I have tried to use it.

However, if i had known I would have got there early as its not often you see 4 class 73's on the same train!!

Nice video.

ian

Yes the 06.33 FCC came in to platform 2 at 06.40, behind the 06.37 empties from Three Bridges that forms the 06.39 Redhill to Reigate had departed.  Then the 06.42 Tonbridge to London Bridge via Redhil came in on platform 1a instead of 2 as planned.  I assume the FCC was delayed behind the 73s?

It was all a bit manic as it looked like the late 0633 was going to be held behind the 0642 but then the station announcer mentioned that the 0633 was going first and fast to East Croydon so there was a mass exodus and ours was the quietest I've seen it for ages.

The 73's couldn't go into 3 as the 0640 Tonbrige was due in, and the Reading - Gatwick was stuck in 1a.  Not sure why they didn't just slide it up the freight loop by platform 1 out of everyone's way.

We did the 0633 one morning last week and had no problems finding a seat.

• RMweb Gold

Ok, not strictly "at work" but not worth starting a new thread, been stating in the north east for a few days before i head back tomorrow in readyness for work at the weekend, the holiday park we are staying in is just north of hartlepool and tge van backs right on to the mainline to sunderland

Realtime has been very useful this week so i could wander over to the fence and get a few pics and videos of passing trains, its all northern units, grand central hst's and 180s and a regular procession of GBRf 66s heading to and from the tyne coal terminal to various power stations

null-2019.png

null-1484.png

null-2005.png

I work in a large office at the rear of Cardiff Central, from the front of the building you can see lots of activity through the station, unfortunately my desk is at the rear of our building

Does the front of your building have this view?

RTC again - visible from London Road (and above!)

Cheers,

Mick

Aye!  A silver 67 has been moving about within eyeshot of my window today - 026 maybe?  Went into the EDU on Tuesday (IIRC) and emerged earlier with some yellow stock of repute :angel:

That reminds me of the time when I arrived at school one morning and found a Networker coach on a low-loader stuck outside the school gates. I was at a school not too far from Hither Green at the time, so presumably the errant coach was enroute to be repaired. Needless to say I brought my class out to pose for photos in front of it.

Hi

I live in hither green and have done for 14years

I was wondering what school it was ?

Many thanks

HSTFAN13

Archived