Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Your club sales stand best buy...

• RMweb Gold

What has been your best find on an exhibition club sales stand, AKA 'Loot Stand'.

Mine has to be a Wills/SEF J39 for £25. It had a Portescap RG4 in it which was sold later for £20 (replaced with a High level Road Runner and Mashima motor). This was about 10 years ago but still a bargain then.

• RMweb Premium

A few years ago I bought a bagful of 'kit bits' for 25p at the Shenfield exhibition. Included in the contents was half a dozen complete sets of parts for bogies from the Cambrian 'Seacow' kits, the kits having alternative bogies. The bag itself was about A4 size and absolutely packed with bits including brake gear and wagon sides. Also at a swapmeet I picked up a built Airfix Railbus and a Ratio bolster wagon for £3 the pair.

• RMweb Premium

It's got to be old magazines!

I'm a real sucker for buying bundles of them...once bought a year's worth of RAIL from 1990 for the princely sum of £3 at a show...heaven!

A real snapshot in time, just love looking at the old adverts and liveries, political comment etc, superb and for me, more appealing than any model I've ever bought from a show so far!

On a couple of occasions I've picked up two 'non-runners' for very little, combined the best bits of both to make one good runner...

Then there was the time I bought a book for a couple of quid and when I got home found an old type £5 note tucked inside! (it went to a relevant charity that was collecting old coins/notes)

• RMweb Premium

Another swap meet bargain I acquired was a Ratio SR goods van fitted with brass buffers, 3-link couplings and scale (OO) wheels for 50p! However it was not very well built so I broke it up for the components, getting £1 for the couplings, the wheels and buffers went into my spares 'stash'.

Recently picked up a decent sized bag of 'assorted transfers' for £1.50 on the off chance that 'there might be something of use inside, if not I can probably sell it on and break even'... Opened it up to find a pair of EWS logos inside - did considerably better than breaking even on those alone! :good:

What has been your best find on an exhibition club sales stand, AKA 'Loot Stand'.....

I don't think I've ever knowingly bought anything from a club stand.

By contrast, I have had some very good bargain finds from traders such as "Steam Age", which usually have quite a few P4-related kits/wheels/etc. for not very much money. I picked up kits for a Black 5 (Brassmasters), a "Schools" (SEF), a "Lord Nelson" (Craftsman) and Ultrascale P4 wheel packs for the latter two, over the years.

A biscuit tin of loco wheels. At a local show, the club was disposing of a deceased member's items, EM wheels didn't seem to be very popular so the tin came down in price at the end of the day, when I spotted it it was a tenner. The tin had a selection of Romford drivers and a whole load of Ultrascale bogie and tender wheelsets, I gave twenty quid to the club and we were all happy. The Romfords went to friends for a pint or two and the Ultrascales have had the drivers added to make up all the wheelsets for my Black 5s, 8Fs and a Mucky Duck.

Nice.

Dave Franks

• RMweb Gold

Can I claim this one?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/236/entry-9255-abs-5-plank-wagon-done/

bought out of Ian Morton's "tat box" at the Mansfield Show for the princely sum of £10, cost me a few stamps to get the missing bits from ABS - list price £22.50 and it came with an extra set of wheels and loads of 3 link couplings :)

Nothing I can remember but I do have a story like this.

I went to see a collection at a friends house a vast collection of model railway bits and part locos, mostly Wren passed on to him by a relative whose husband had recently died.

He wanted an instant sale so I gave him £300.

The Wrens turned out to be rare and I sold one for nearly £300. I felt really bad about it and went back to him with more money.

I'll never be a business man!

Jack

I went to see a collection at a friends house a vast collection of model railway bits and part locos, mostly Wren passed on to him by a relative whose husband had recently died.

The Wrens turned out to be rare and I sold one for nearly £300. I felt really bad about it and went back to him with more money.

Jack

OK you might not 'be a business man' but you did the right thing and that counts for more, especially in the circumstances! (also PLD and the 'fiver').

On a couple of occasions I've picked up two 'non-runners' for very little, combined the best bits of both to make one good runner...

Then there was the time I bought a book for a couple of quid and when I got home found an old type £5 note tucked inside! (it went to a relevant charity that was collecting old coins/notes)

Was the charity located in Walton Street? :)

steve

Maybe last weekend at Expo EM, where I found two kits for the monster total of £35.

£15 was for an untouched Crownline Conversion kit for Duke of Gloucester. The first or second loco I converted when returning to the hobby a couple of years ago was a Golden Arrow DoG and I was planning to use a new loco drive Hornby Brit for an attempt at improvement as I can certainly justify one. Some of the bits will be gently discarded but some are excellent, at least at first glance - etched brass BR1J tender sides, lost wax brass caprotti shafts, etched cylinder covers, the one-off DoG smoke deflectors in etched brass, and an entire etching for a replacement front end. Whether it will all fit a new style Hornby Brit and how much more work I need to do remains to be seen. It does also include a whitemetal BR1B/C/D tender plus coal pusher, which seem to go for about £13 on their own.

£20 was for a kit marked up as a Crownline Std 5 Caprotti conversion including a set of wheels. I've converted one myself from Bachmann Std 5, mainly from scratch, and I can only tenuously use one as a visitor on Camden Shed anyway, so did I really need another? It did seem too good to walk away from.....When I opened the box at home, the wheels are a set of P4 Gibsons, and I can't seem to find many bits missing that would be needed to build a complete loco AND tender. Motor and gearbox obviously, and a small matter of expertise.....but that's it.

I've not always been so lucky, or indeed sensible!

Iain

......£20 was for a kit marked up as a Crownline Std 5 Caprotti conversion including a set of wheels. I've converted one myself from Bachmann Std 5, mainly from scratch, and I can only tenuously use one as a visitor on Camden Shed anyway, so did I really need another? It did seem too good to walk away from.....When I opened the box at home, the wheels are a set of P4 Gibsons, and I can't seem to find many bits missing that would be needed to build a complete loco AND tender. Motor and gearbox obviously, and a small matter of expertise.....but that's it.

Now that is interesting. I picked up a full Crownline kit for the Walschaerts Std. 5 a while ago. The etched footplate has allowances designed in for those wanting the Caprotti version - you just snip out the relevant gaps!

One point to note: the Crownline resin boiler is a bit too short.

Jack

Businessman, no. Gentleman, yes.

Geoff Endacott

Two absolutely beautiful scratch built GC 3 plank wagons in 7mm scale for £15 apiece. Don't know who built them, but he must have been a top, top modeller.

I am still kicking myself for not buying a box of similar wagons I could have had for £120. Thing is I only wanted one of the wagons, and it didn't occur to me at the time that I could have sold on the remainder for a handsome profit. There were 9 or 10 wagons in the box, and anyone would have thought £25 each an absolute bargain. Like I said, still kicking myself to this day.

Not a club stand but my young son went to a car boot sale with one of his friends and family. He came home with ' I bought a coach for your trains dad and it was only 10p but it does not have any couplings'. That was about all that was wrong. It was a rare Exley LMS 6 wheel coach, in fairly good nick and with all wheels and buffers intact. Not much use in GWR Wiltshire.

I sold it for a remarkable three figure sum. The money was split between my son and his friend who put the money towards a DS computer game they were both saving up for.

Unfortunately evrything he has brought home since has been junk, though he did find a Kitmaster Diesel shunter unbuilt for £1 recently so you never know.

Mike Wiltshire

Archived