RMweb

The CLC through Stockport

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What a wonderful thread, and answers many a question I have swimming through my mind every time I go to pick the little one up from school. Woodley junction isn't even a shadow of its former self...I should note that I currently live split between Birmingham and Woodley, and live my weekends about 50 yards from the junction here...but I still find time to catch the remaining trains on what is left of the line in to Bredbury as it throws up occasional class 60 haulage, which is somewhat a rarity network wide thesedays. When I get chance I may have to take a mosey on down to Bredbury McDonalds and trace what I can of the line, plus I still need to figure what the bridge abutments immediately after the junction and before the Smithy Green bridge used to carry.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

even if there is no evidence of York Walton freights passing this way it would mean they went via Manchester Oxford Road?

need a freight timetable of the area if anyone knows of one.

nice shot of a class 40 in the 80s.

12535089325_61889e3ac5_b.jpg
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Im going to have a steam hauled trip along the remaining section (Skelton Junction - Northenden) in July

Four of us are Booked on the coast to coast express from Liverpool to Scarborough which travels via Runcorn, Northwhich, Altringham and Stockport to get to Stalybridge. so looking forward to that.

• Like 1

It's Altrincham, but I'll let you off as generally people pronounce it like you spelt it.

So not only do you get the last remaining bit of the Tiviot Dale route through South Manchester but you also get to traverse the Denton route in something more comfortable than a Pacer. Remember to shut your eyes though when you get to Guide Bridge, it's not a pretty sight.

Im going to have a steam hauled trip along the remaining section (Skelton Junction - Northenden) in July

Four of us are Booked on the coast to coast express from Liverpool to Scarborough which travels via Runcorn, Northwhich, Altringham and Stockport to get to Stalybridge. so looking forward to that.

What date are you travelling. I am usually on the platform at Denton when they take water on( from a water hydrant on the bridge ).

Denton is a bit of a sad place a short island platform when once upon a time it boasted 4 platforms.

Edited by johnd

5th of July, sorry about the spelling, yes I did realise it would use the Stockport-Guide bridge route which ive never travelled over either, Guide Bridge will still be of interest with being interested in the Woodhead route so even things like overhead gantries will be of interest, in fact I dont think Ive travelled over most of the whole route apart from Liverpool-Runcorn part. if I have I would have been very young.

Guide Bridge - Now Two Platforms, buildings on the down line, bus shelter on the Up/Bidirectional line, the signal box is still sat there set back in the middle of nowhere. the other platforms/buildings now long gone in fact a car park. that's it.

The old gantries are still there supporting the 25KV wires which when it was 1500 DC BR said it couldn't be done.

Edited by johnd

Too many happier memories of Guide Bridge to want to spend any time looking at its sorry state. It needs completely rebuilding and the redundant land put to good use.

There's a new ticket office on the Manchester bound platform.

http://onbeer.wordpress.com/2014/02/21/guide-bridge-revisited/

I don't know the fate of the old building once the new office is brought into use. It is used for other offices too so it may survive, unlike the old platform buildings which I photographed getting on for forty years ago.

http://http://onbeer.wordpress.com/2013/12/16/a-trip-down-memory-lane/

Edited by TR2335

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is about the CLC lines - but is there much film available of the MR Manchester Central - CLC junction section through Didsbury and Heaton Mersey village?

Just wondering...

• 1 month later...

Looking for photos of  track maintenance gangs, machinery, wagons, in use during the 1960s  on this line, I recall seeing them in the early 1960s on regular sunday workings.

Edited by paul 27

• 1 month later...