The CLC through Stockport

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

some from me yesterday, also im my work thread

cheadle heath station area

150D9E64-19DD-4B13-BE73-A802CBA8E057.jpg

the waterworks on the remaining curve between cheadle heath and northenden

AEE52C93-7BD6-44AE-B52B-3A8E909CA26A.jpg

looking back towards the tiviot dale line from northenden direction, compare this to the picture of the box on the previous page

BF33A1FF-1484-4A38-B708-0014C7FBC666.jpg

nice milepost still in situ

C0D26654-349F-47C8-9125-05515ACB2EAD.jpg

• Like 4

Incredible 'before and after' photos with only the electricity pylons as a reference. I can recall the M63 motorway being built through Stockport and the disused sidings at George's Road still extant around this time.

Edited by Jim76
  • Like 1

Incredible 'before and after' photos with only the electricity pylons as a reference. I can recall the M63 motorway being built through Stockport and the disused sidings at George's Road still extant around this time.

Yeah, there was a rail connected scrap yard there with it's own shunter which I think was still open at around the time that the motorway was built.

6287099471_ed725523f9_b.jpg

40117 at Georges Road Scrap yard - 18th November, 1977 by Arnie Furniss, on Flickr

4270595624_4ce4cf67c6_b.jpg

25184 on T29, Georges Rd scrap yard - June, 1978 by Arnie Furniss, on Flickr

• Like 6

When did the scrap yard close? I am aware the main line closed in 1982. Another cracking photograph here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64731573@N05/9166865043

I don't know, but I have seen an aerial photo of the site from 1982 and the scrap yard looks like it had already been cleared, so it may have been earlier than I first thought. I believe that the location was tripped using the 6T29 AKA Target 29 train, so perhaps someone with a Working timetable might be able to tell us.

Edited by bennyboy

I don't know, but I have seen an aerial photo of the site from 1982 and the scrap yard looks like it had already been cleared, so it may have been earlier than I first thought. I believe that the location was tripped using the 6T29 AKA Target 29 train, so perhaps someone with a Working timetable might be able to tell us.

started as a trb stockport area november 1981 target 29 covered bells waggon works stockport yard and northenden jn and could run as class 6,7,8 or occasionally 9 usually with a 25 on the front  iirc never had it wired for Georges road so suspect it had closed by that time do remember that the track was extant tho the box was by this time a burned out shell 

started as a trb stockport area november 1981 target 29 covered bells waggon works stockport yard and northenden jn and could run as class 6,7,8 or occasionally 9 usually with a 25 on the front  iirc never had it wired for Georges road so suspect it had closed by that time do remember that the track was extant tho the box was by this time a burned out shell 

In the thread below Jim76's post, it mentions that the line was closed by a cutting collapse from the M63 works, I remember you telling me this at the time. I can also remember that (going slightly OT) the section of motorway from the viaduct to the Lancashire Hill bridge was used as an overspill car park one Christmas, before it was opened. Parking in Stockport is still a nightmare; I've wondered about using my old fogey's travel pass to use the 330 to get there (if i was on my own)!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've just found a couple of small pictures of the shunter at the George's Road scrapyard. From what information I can gather it seems to be one of those Hibberd Planet 4wDM locos No. 4006 which thankfully was preserved and ended up on Garw Valley Railway.

4478114149_0f1f9113f5_z.jpg

Stockport Scrap by Alastair Wood, on Flickr

4374756834_ffd5291be0_b.jpg

Kodak Instamatic photo of Georges Road Scrapyard shunters - 1972 by Arnie Furniss, on Flickr

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've been to Decathlon in Stockport a couple of times recently to take a look at progress on the new bit of road to avoid the low bridge on Georges Road. The first was in April  just after the work started and the second was earlier this month. The tunnel is rapidly becoming history.

post-9767-0-63319000-1532376577_thumb.jpg

post-9767-0-63693400-1532376639_thumb.jpg

Photos C E Steele

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks for highlighting these Michael. It's been a good few years since I looked at the Stockport Library image archive although I spent a long time going through the card files in pre-digital days!

Did you ever work out what route the Walton-Dringhouses freights took in the period you're modelling?

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another site to add to the "you wouldn't believe there was ever a railway here" file.

Mike.

It's becoming common but if all our towns and cities were full of derelict railway lines it wouldn't say much for progress.

It surprises me that the route from Ardwick to Victoria still survives, that part of Manchester must still be waiting for it's building revolution.

It's becoming common but if all our towns and cities were full of derelict railway lines it wouldn't say much for progress.

It surprises me that the route from Ardwick to Victoria still survives, that part of Manchester must still be waiting for it's building revolution.

Especially the bit of viaduct at the bottom of Ashton Old Road opposite viaduct Street  ! unless its gone in the last few months. Not the bridge but the bit that carried the lines into the old yards near London Road (Piccadilly), have a look at some old maps and you'll see a lot of railway yards around there.

The old midland line from Ashburys to Miles Platting is still well used. Northern etc use it a fair bit for movements to and from Newton Heath TMD(26A).

Edited by johnd