The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Getting close to wildlife - literally

Guest 34008Padstow

• RMweb Premium

You don't many of these in the middle of a city, but this sparrow hawk decided to eat a pigeon in our back garden a few years ago. I was still finding it's feathers a year later!

I had the same a few years ago, it left nothing but the head, a small pool of blood and the feathers.

I found a sparrow hawk in the green house unfortunately it hadn't bothered to open the door first so it was a bit stunned, it recovered and flew off later.

In the garden We get deer (several varieties) who eat the plants and juniper trees and ignore the weeds.

squirels who keep eating all the hazel nuts before they are ready for me to pick.

rabbits, pheasants, partridges. stoats, owls and woodpeckers as you can guess I live in the middle of nowhere. hence the animals but also no broadband so sorry no pics.

I find the deer most worrying as a pass them once or twice a week on my motorcycle I definately don't want to meet one at speed....

The Q

• RMweb Gold

Is the newt called 'Tiny' after all he is my-newt?

Tim (gettin' his coat)

I thought it was "un-commonly minute" too!

:)

Kev.

• Like 1

I haven't hit a deer while driving, but that isn't for lack of trying (on their part). We did nerf one with the rally car I was codriving, but there was no damage on either side.The closest I came while driving was abut 2 ft, braking hard as deer #1 ran across in front of me followed by looking in the mirror to see deer #2 run across behind me.

On the way back from the cottage last weekend I pulled over to move a turtle out of the road. Fortunately it was just a small painted turtle rather than a snapper - they can get quite aggressive if they've been sunning themselves all day (guess how I know that...).

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

Sadly, these things are not only twice the size of Newts but they are also about 200,000 times more common!

Kev.

But in their favour they always, and I mean always, make my wife scream every single time! :)

post-12815-0-96167400-1338299447_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I lived on a farm in the 80s with some really aggressive resident geese. The ringleader used to run alongside my car ( a rover P6 ) pecking the hubcaps so hard you could hear the clanging inside the car.

One day it stood in front of the car and made me stop. I waited for several minutes for it to move away then drove forward dead slow (wasnt getting out of the car to check - it would have had me!) It was too determined for its own good and stood its ground. P6 is quite a heavy car :O)

The rest of the goose gang were much more amenable after the ringleader died and started laying eggs so the lady of the manor forgave me!

• Like 1

Somewhat unwelcome BBQ guest.

Quite cute really, until they start running around indoors ...

Or when they decide to nest in the barbecue over the winter... They didn't this winter - I think the neighbor's cat has been culling them.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

Unintended passenger this morning:

post-6910-0-56262300-1338986189_thumb.jpg

Possibly got too close whilst reading the notice next to him about not riding on the outside of the train. His mate was firmly lodged in the coupling socket!!!

• Like 1

Somewhat unwelcome BBQ guest.

Quite cute really, until they start running around indoors ...

Ahhh - cute - it's a harvest mouse so one of the good ones - and if you've got these then there are no rats about..............

Coming back from work the other night I managed to account for a least 2 young rabbits (not deliberately) but managed to swerve around the badger..............