The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Getting close to wildlife - literally

Guest 34008Padstow

• RMweb Gold

Keeping an eye on me, whilst watching him out of the shed window . .

I snapped one a couple of years ago in the garden at work, they're always following us around. There can be up to three of them, regularly having a scrap to settle their differences.

post-7104-0-64354100-1356039093.jpg

post-7104-0-39483400-1356039108_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

In another thread, I've posted winter views from our apartment window. In spring and summer, we often look out and see this little chap.

post-16235-0-40570600-1356042579.jpg

Sometimes, he brings a friend.

post-16235-0-82464100-1356042641.jpg

This is a residential area well inside a town of some 20,000 people. I've been here three years. So have they and probably longer.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I thought I'd lost this picture, not the best quality I'm afraid, but my best attempt at a Brown Longeared bat that catches the insects drawn to our terrace lighting. He/She has become quite fearless and flies beside our heads as we sit with a drink in the evenings.

post-106-0-12107500-1361300837_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-53608000-1361301006.jpg

His/Her ears move independently, 

http://www.arkive.org/brown-long-eared-bat/plecotus-auritus/

Doug

Edited by Chubber
  • Like 7

I thought I'd lost this picture, not the best quality I'm afraid, but my best attempt at a Brown Longeared bat that catches the insects drawn to our terrace lighting. He/She has become quite fearless and flies beside our heads as we sit with a drink in the evenings.

You did well to get that.

I have not even attempted it.

Some of the family group that inhabit my roof emerged yesterday evening for the first time this year, for a few laps of a big yew tree in my garden.

No sign of 'em tonight as it has turned much colder again.

Bernard

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It was a bit of a Jasper Carrot moment on my 313 at Littlehampton the other morning when I returned from the mess room suitably refreshed to find the platform staff in high-vis waving brooms around the rear carriage.  Further investigation of these mysterious movements revealed that they were attempting to chase out a rat that had decided to hitch a ride and had been seen by both the staff and also a passenger,

I never saw this alledged rodent and so looked on with some incredulity and wondered when backup in the form of a fitter in a van with a mongoose was going to turn up...

Edited by John M Upton

• RMweb Premium

It was a bit of a Jasper Carrot moment on my 313 at Littlehampton the other morning when I returned from the mess room suitably refreshed to find the platform staff in high-vis waving brooms around the rear carriage.  Further investigation of these mysterious movements revealed that they were attempting to chase out a rat that had decided to hitch a ride and had been seen by both the staff and also a passenger,

I never saw this alledged rodent and so looked on with some incredulity and wondered when backup in the form of a fitter in a van with a mongoose was going to turn up...

A Jack Russell terrier would do the job.

• RMweb Premium

During the recent spell of very cold weather we had up here, one of the many red squirrels that live in the nearby woods found his way to our garden and, in particular, to the birds' peanut feeder.

He was very wary at first:

post-6160-0-40607100-1361442895.jpg

But it wasn't long before he got down to business.

post-6160-0-22790700-1361442995.jpg

However, over the next few days he decided that it would be much easier if he was to knock the peanut feeder off the tree

post-6160-0-97242000-1361443058.jpg

which he duly did.

He's now a regular visitor, even though the peanut feeder is now much more firmly secured.

DT

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

During the recent spell of very cold weather we had up here, one of the many red squirrels that live in the nearby woods found his way to our garden and, in particular, to the birds' peanut feeder.

He was very wary at first:

attachicon.gifsquirrel1.jpg

But it wasn't long before he got down to business.

attachicon.gifsquirrel2.jpg

However, over the next few days he decided that it would be much easier if he was to knock the peanut feeder off the tree

attachicon.gifsquirrel3.jpg

which he duly did.

He's now a regular visitor, even though the peanut feeder is now much more firmly secured.

DT

Thanks DT,

I just love the little story that comes with these photos.

Kev.