expoEM North 15th -16th September 2012 - New Venue

DerekEm8

• 2 weeks later...

Traders list amended to add Blacksmith Kits to the Coopercraft entry.

(Advised by Paul being owned by Coopercraft as of the 7th July)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

From the flyer

There is ample free parking.

REALLY! As anyone who has been to a swopmeet at this venue will tell you, parking is dreadful. I called in Carnall's at the weekend on my way home from my Mum's and I understand that regular sports activities are taking place so the 'ample free parking' is shared with regular sports people and I do not advise parking up in the Kingsway estates based on past experience. By the time exhibitors vans/cars and sports folk have parked, there will be little room left for visitors.

I have been a regular Slaithwaite vistor for many years but based on transport, I may give this one a miss.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium

From the flyer

REALLY! As anyone who has been to a swopmeet at this venue will tell you, parking is dreadful. I called in Carnall's at the weekend on my way home from my Mum's and I understand that regular sports activities are taking place so the 'ample free parking' is shared with regular sports people and I do not advise parking up in the Kingsway estates based on past experience. By the time exhibitors vans/cars and sports folk have parked, there will be little room left for visitors.

Absolutely agree. I've given up going to the swapmeets due to the parking difficulties and public transport isn't much of an option. Much closer than Slaithwaite for me but not sure how much of an advantage that will be. I shall still go as it would be perverse not to when it is only 10 miles away but it will be with gritted teeth.

David

From the flyer

I do not advise parking up in the Kingsway estates based on past experience.

Mike Wiltshire

Unfortunately thats a very fair comment and would advise finding somewhere else if the car park is full - it may be worth parking up on the Trafford Centre where car parking is free and legging it from there, a shortish hike but a damn sight safer.

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately thats a very fair comment and would advise finding somewhere else if the car park is full - it may be worth parking up on the Trafford Centre and legging it from there, a bit of a hike but a damn sight safer.

Oh dear, I don't like the sound of this.

From the flyer

And as posted in another thread, Old Trafford is only a couple of miles away and it's Man Utd vs. Wigan on the 15th. 15:00 kick off might make leaving the venue interesting at five o clock.

Something the organisers couldn’t have foreseen and a minor inconvenience for visiting, what looks to be a good shindig?

Porcy

Come on Guys we are not holding a swApmeet with both halls full of 60 -70 plus secondhand stalls and their associated vehicles, We are trying to to run an exhibition for serious railway modellers without people putting the mockers on it. There is ample free parking on the site - I have been to a swapmeet there and had no problems parking Plus this a two day show where swApmeets are only on Sundays with the usual early crush to get a 'bargain' and they soon quieten down.

The regular sports facilities apart from 2 hours on the Saturday morning (in part of the adjacent hall) are all away from our area and we have sole use of one large hall and other smaller rooms.

I agree it is a serious show for serious modellers, but as someone who lived four miles from this venue for over thirty years I do not consider this a serious venue. Public transport is a non starter leaving road transport and the question mark over the parking. In two weeks time it will be proven just how 'ample' the parking is. A quick count of the satelite image shows less than 300 spaces.

MIke Wiltshire

I agree it is a serious show for serious modellers, but as someone who lived four miles from this venue for over thirty years I do not consider this a serious venue. Public transport is a non starter leaving road transport and the question mark over the parking. In two weeks time it will be proven just how 'ample' the parking is. A quick count of the satelite image shows less than 300 spaces.

MIke Wiltshire

Mike,

hopefully all will go well at expoEM North. Despite the gloomster's predictions (a national trait, honed to perfection for London 2012 Olympics) I am optomistic that it will, as I shall be travelling from Suffolk to help out one of the regular traders. The parking capacity at S4N (THornes Park, Wakefield) doesn't seem much different. It's been several years since I went to Slaithewaite but I don't recall that there was a large car park.

However, this illustrates that we have very few "local" proper exhibition facilities in the UK. Other than the NEC or the WLMRS at the NAC, every show I have been to has been to has been in a sports hall, school or college, town or church hall, racecourse, etc.

Very few of them have facilities suited to a show or exhibition. Parking is sometimes a problem, trader and exhibitor access is usually poor, catering overpriced/inadequate, etc. Sometimes the facility layout is quite unsuitable (St Albans and York especially come to mind). Public transport is usually poor. Ever tried getting back from Slaithwaite to Northampton when the first train in your planned journey is cancelled as you stand on an unmanned station late on a Satirday afternoon?

Sports halls have become the least worse option and they too usually and ironically have poor public transport links. The answer is to put on special transport (Railex), but that may not be viable for expoEM North.

Jol

MIke Wiltshire

For all your predictions of gloom I don't see two weeks time as a problem (7th and 8th September) ExpoEm North is a week later - 15th and 16th September.

Perhaps with your superior knowledge of economic venues (with more than 300 parking spaces and all the 'missing' facilities) you could suggest a suitable one for future consideration?

BTW Slaithwaite had less than 50 parking spaces on site and limited on street parking certainly a heck of a lot less than 300.

For all your predictions of gloom I don't see two weeks time as a problem (7th and 8th September) ExpoEm North is a week later - 15th and 16th September.

Perhaps with your superior knowledge of economic venues (with more than 300 parking spaces and all the 'missing' facilities) you could suggest a suitable one for future consideration?

BTW Slaithwaite had less than 50 parking spaces on site and limited on street parking certainly a heck of a lot less than 300.

Yes, I am wrong it is three weeks not two.

Slaithwaite has a second council car park further down the road, the on street parking has not been so limited in my experience nor the side roads, whereas both Kingsway is zigzag, bus stop and double yellow restricted until you get close top the estates and Lostock Road has no parking at all due to the centre hatch markings. Clearly we are going to have a difference of opinion on this but I find I am not alone.

I have just spent the day at Blythe where, without any prompting, your choice of location has been the main topic of conversation all day including two of your attending traders with similar issues to those I have raised.

Much discussed was alternative venues the concensus of opinion was a requirement for PT access especially rail and the three favourites appeared to be NRM York, Darlington College and Shildon. All have access to ECML, the latter appeared to be favourite with both major car parking and easy access to ECML and Shildon station. ( well we were in the North East!)

For the Lancashire side of the Pennines, Wilmslow leisure centre is next door to the station with local and Pendolino services. Several local car parks, but I admit they fill up with the footballers wives at a weekend.

In the past I have been invloved with conferences and exhibitions at Old Trafford cricket ground (my brother even had his wedding reception there) with large rooms, has both extensive car parks and tram service to the door.

Personal favourite Crewe Heritage Centre, large halls for hire, large car parks and trains to - well everywhere.

Mike Wiltshire

Its a bit late to be holding this discusion on the whys and wherefores of this venue, that should have been done early doors. If you enjoy Expo's then just go, its a good line up. Ive suggested an alternate safe parking spot, and unless theres a mega mega turnout it appears it is unlikely you will need that.

Mike,

Thanks for your helpful comments and support for the Society.

I am more aware than you of the pluses and minuses for Slaithwaite having been involved with the organisation of since expoEM moved there.

You may have missed my point about an ECONOMIC venue I dont think Wilmslow and Lancashire Cricket Ground fit into that category after all we are only a Society organising an Expo and not a Company organising a Conference.

I am fully aware of the comments from East of the Pennines.

A really well thought out suggestions of the NRM York and Shildon with their FREE admission. How do you then cover the layout transport costs, accomodation, meals etc; and presumably the NRM would charge the traders who attend and of course there is ample free parking.

I assume you are a Society member so presumably you will (with your experience and knowledge and living locally to your personal preference Crewe) be volunteering at the AGM next year to organise expoEM North in the future.

BTW Crewe should go down really well with those East of the Pennines who think that Manchester is too far to travel.

Thanks once again for being so helpful.

This discussion is going nowhere so these are my last words on this particular direction of the topic.

And shared those spaces with the local swimming pool if I remember correctly.

As someone who doesn't know any of the shows organisers or committee members (as far as I'm aware) can i just say, "Come on guys give it a chance".

More layouts, more traders, further to travel for some, (me included) less for others. Pros and Cons all the way but isn't that the nature of the beast?

It's now different organisers and different venue so I'm looking on it as a "New Show" but with lots of familiar faces.

Seems like some are passing judgment before the trial has begun. Never a good thing.

I have just spent the day at Blythe where, without any prompting, your choice of location has been the main topic of conversation all day including two of your attending traders with similar issues to those I have raised.

Much discussed was alternative venues the concensus of opinion was a requirement for PT access especially rail and the three favourites appeared to be NRM York, Darlington College and Shildon. All have access to ECML, the latter appeared to be favourite with both major car parking and easy access to ECML and Shildon station. ( well we were in the North East!)

Two sides to every coin.

Like you, I have I've spent the full day at North Shields. I wonder if we were at the same show?

Spent some time with one EM North Trader. (Tea and Scones). Had a long conversation (normal activity called taking the p*ss out of one another) with a different EM north trader and had plenty of contact with other EM'ers and folk that are planning a trip to Manchester and not once was any concerns aired.

Well that’s not strictly true, as one guy had a moan because for the first time, his missus wants to travel with him to a show but only because she wants to be dropped off at the Trafford Centre!

Lets face it there were plenty of complaints about parking at North Shields venue last year and it adjoins one of the most notorious housing estates in Europe. Despite people having to resort to on street parking I’ve never heard of no problems with car damage etc.

Regarding your alternative suggestions I would think the NRM and Locomotion are non starters. Shildon NRM showed it's bigger brother the way to go when it noticed an appreciable hike in visitor numbers on Modelmania days. This is despite Shildons (OK I’ll call it Locomotion) automatic door counters adding the same visitor multiple times due to the layout of the museum. I agree, both York NRM and Shildon Locomotion would make fine venues for Finescale shows but the main problem that makes them non starter.

Ahem. Admission fee!

And I bet you’d get plenty complaints about the cost and quality of their contract caterers. That’s before you think about having to compete with Joe Public for the limited seats and tables.

BTW Shildon MRC are having their annual show at Locomotion over the weekend of 13/14 October. It’s a first for them moving from the nearby Civic Centre. They are regulars providing Locomotion with layouts for other events but it’s quite different show to say an, expo type event.

What they lose by not being able to charge admission fees, they save by not having to pay for two lunch sittings per day, and other overheads.

I would also think that the EM North venue will need to be comparatively close to at least one of the organisers purely for logistics.

Tis a pity you couldn’t have aired your concerns and local knowledge to the organisers before the event was finalised but as I intimated earlier, can we not get the show over before making judgement.

As with most things in life and to use that often misquoted phrase: You can please some of the people some of the time but… …ad infinitum.

I, like all of the folk I spoke to today and have spoken to over the last few weeks are looking forward to the show and wish the organisers well.

Porcy.

EDIT In the time it's taken me to compose this missive I see two further posts have come in making similar points to me but far more succinctly.

I’m still posting purely because doom and gloom merchants bug me.

I have listened, understood and appreciated all your responses and hopefully you can report back that parking was fine and I was talking rubbish. What started as a concern regarding parking based on past experience of the venue, has ignited far beyond the original point (actually mentioned by an earlier post)

NE alternative suggestions came from conversations today and Lancashire suggestions as an immediate response to Derek's post- given a few days I would no doubt find others and yes Porcy Main, we were at the same show. Derek, I am not an EM member as I model a different gauge, I visit the EM shows, happily paying the higher admission fee to appreciate what EM modellers have accomplished.

Any doubts about EM North have now been rectified. It is clearly too serious a show for me (and some others). There are three layouts I particlularly wanted to see. Hopefully i will see them elsewhere. Four of us are now going to Swindon Festival, Didcot and Woking for the weekend.

As it is now 4:15 in the morning and I need to finish some work before I can go to bed for a 7am start, like Derek, I will not be posting further on this topic.

Enjoy your show.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium

Must get around to building a trainset........

Mansfield Market Place has all the track down (finished last Wednesday) but isn't fully wired up yet. Point motors attached to the fiddle yard points today and all the station points are working from the lever frame but we are really up against it this time.

It certainly won't be finished by EXPO weekend but I hope that Ken and I can at least get it working properly and perhaps get a few scenic items done. I am quite pleased that I said it might be a "work in progress" in the write up for the brochure.

Ah well, as the song goes, when the going gets tough.........

• RMweb Premium

After a 14 hour session today, I am pleased to report that big chunks of the layout are up and running. Just the 14 crossing nose switches to sort out and some cross baseboard plugs and sockets and we should have an operating layout. We had a slight panic when we found out that the lever frame was electrically live to the track, on each of the rails. Just goes to show that it doesn't matter how many layouts I may have built, I still don't get it right every time! The last bits of wiring will hopefully get done on Thursday, so that gives us a week to see what we can do with the scenery. The platforms are well advanced but that is about all so far.

At least we have a fighting chance of having something to play with at EXPO.

After a 14 hour session today, I am pleased to report that big chunks of the layout are up and running. Just the 14 crossing nose switches to sort out and some cross baseboard plugs and sockets and we should have an operating layout. We had a slight panic when we found out that the lever frame was electrically live to the track, on each of the rails. Just goes to show that it doesn't matter how many layouts I may have built, I still don't get it right every time! The last bits of wiring will hopefully get done on Thursday, so that gives us a week to see what we can do with the scenery. The platforms are well advanced but that is about all so far.

At least we have a fighting chance of having something to play with at EXPO.

Tony,

If you stopped having early nights and cracked on with it you might have it finished in time. :O :o :O

Archived