expoEM North 15th -16th September 2012 - New Venue

DerekEm8

Arrived home at 7-00pm after the hall being totally cleared and everyone was away by 6-30pm. (2 hours must be a record for us)

My thanks go to the layout owners & operators, demonstrators, traders, stewards, visitors and all others who supported us this weekend.

I would also like to thank all the above posters for their messages of support for the show and our choice of venue.

As can be seen from the above messages (and contrary to certain doom laden posts/prophesies earlier) we had no problems at all with the venue and particularly no problems with the parking which goes to prove don't believe everything you read.

We (the team) had a very enjoyable weekend and from the positive comments we had from visitors and exhibitors alike we must have got something right.

Plans are in hand for next years expoEM North at the same venue, the same weekend (14th-15th September 2013)

• RMweb Premium

Home safe and sound and all unloaded and ready to get back to real life again!

Well done and a big thumbs up to Derek and the team. The show was a cracker.

I just hope that the "doom & gloom" merchants can be big enough about it to say "Sorry, we were wrong". I do wonder if they were responsible for putting anybody off going. If they did, I hope, one day, they organise an exhibition or two and we can all return the favour by giving out dire warnings about their chosen venue. Just what an exhibition manager, doing his first show in a new venue, really needs!

Enough griping! Here to enjoy myself etc.

We got away with murder on Mansfield. Heven't some people ever heard of the Narrow Road (Broad Street) to Mansfield via Potter's Bar commuter service? Well, they have now!

Many thanks for all the kind comments and chat. Nobody spoiled my weekend. Dave's Fairburn tank ran like a dream, so I let him keep it black. Pete's GCR ROD did some useful turns on the GCR fish train, pretending to be an "Immingham" but looking somehow like a 2-8-0 on a rake of very mixed box vans. Must get my eyes tested!

When I unpack the camera will put a photo or two up, just to prove that the words "Great Central" did actually appear on a number of locos.

Anyway, we made it there, talked and played trains all weekend with some good friends and some people we have never met before and all the hard work of the last few weeks has paid off.

Here's to next year...... Not with a new layout, but one that has been in store and unseen for many years.

Tony

Certainly enjoyed the show....plenty of folks stopped for a natter and to ask plenty of questions; and they might be surprised to know that we demonstrators often learn much from the visitors too!

And have to echo all the above posts about the venue and the lack of problems forecast by the doom merchants earlier........on this weekends evidence, it works well.

• RMweb Gold

Recovering after a tiring weekend.

Well done to Derek and the team, definitely an excellent exhibition.

Apologies for the long somnambulistic periods on Shoreham Street, my fellow operator was struck down with glandular fever, so being on my tod was a bit of a stretch, and covering the middle bit and two ends solo was a bit of a gallop. Thanks to Mike, Peter, Carl and anyone else who joined in the fun for assistance allowing me to eat, the traders suffered though cos I spent nowt, apart from last thing sunday night when I was tempted by Mr Lanarkshire's free tunny bar.

To the doom and gloom merchants, I await your public apologies, and one to Derek would be good. Speaking as a Nottingham resident, if all the problems which we were assured existed at Manchester, parking, social deprevation, poor catering etc etc, were true, then don't bother coming to the Nottingham exhibition, on paper at least, it's worse here.

Was part of the SHMRC crew on Ogden Fold and Kitehouses. Despite the trauma of getting there, a most enjoyable and great weekend. Thanks to all organisers who made us all feel most welcome and were most helpful.

We all got back home safe and sound with no problems.

Cheers

Phil

To the doom and gloom merchants, I await your public apologies, and one to Derek would be good.

As one of contributors who raised the parking issues, I was clearly wrong and I apologise to Derek et al.

I am absolutely stunned. This is the first time I have ever known an event at Carnall’s that did not descend into traffic chaos.

The last weekend event I attended there resulted in police clearing cars from Kingsway as the buses could not get through, with cars parked everywhere. Now I only visit Carnall’s to deliver my niece and nephew to their many sporting activities (still cannot persuade them to have a train set!)

Of interest I was at Didcot yesterday, for their big gala and the expectation was the car parks would be full early on. Having been to the Swindon show first, we were all surprised to find the car park with less than 50 vehicles present. When we went inside it was clear to see why with a very poor attendance. We rode the steam rail motor most of the afternoon with only a few runs with it being full.

I am meeting one of the EM show traders later on and I am interested to hear his comments on the weekend's event.

I am still very surprised, no amazed, the parking was sufficient, after over thirty years of using the venue; my comments are based on bitter past experience of being blocked in, broken wing mirrors and long queues to get in and out, and not from a ‘Doom Merchant’ perspective.

Once again, sorry to Derek and the others and I am pleased from the posts that you had a good show.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium

A few photos from the weekend. Sorry for them just being of Mansfield Markt Place, I didn't stray far from the layout all weekend, just in case it all fell apart!

I have included one of our star "Guest operator" Richard, who had a good couple of hours with us on Sunday afternoon and did a splendid job.

The line up of locos includes a couple of mine (N5 & J11, both kitbuilt), Pete's Bachmann O4, and 4 of Malcolm Crawley's scratchbuilt beauties, D6, C5, C13 and Sacre Class 7. All the work on the layout was worthwhile just to give that lot somewhere to run!

The carriages etc in front of the mock up station building are scratchbuilt from wood and paper by Peter Denny and were borrowed from Buckingham. They are stunning examples of modelmaking. Even the wheels are from discs of postcard with wire wheels.

post-1457-0-21048300-1347868949.jpg

post-1457-0-30197700-1347868952.jpg

post-1457-0-91497700-1347868954.jpg

post-1457-0-56659200-1347868957.jpg

A splendid show with a nice collection of layouts and trade.

Its just a shame for me that I was not feeling 100% for going around the show, let alone helping as I had hoped to do.

Lets just say that I came away shattered but satisfied that I had got a few things off of my mind for 3 hours.

Even trying to take some proper pictures was an effort mind... :cry: :banghead: :sadclear:

For that especially, as well as the quality of the show, thanks to Derek and his band of helpers. A credit to the EMGS and the hobby.

Sláinte

I attended on Sunday.

I found the guys a friendly lot, with loads of enthusiasm for EM.

I was almost tempted from the dark side (OO).

There was lots of interesting stalls, with not a box shifter among them.

I was tempted by a London Road L&Y 0-6-0ST, and a Judith Edge NBL Shunter, but they will have to wait until I can save up.

I did however come away with a book, some plastic sheets, some austerity tank bits from RT models, and my best find was some nameplates from Ambis for the austerity tanks.

Initially I was not sure I was at the right place as the signs led you into a sports hall with people playing badminton, then you realise that round the corner is the expo.

I did not realised there were three rooms until i was leaving, I had missed the members sales upstairs, and the book sales along the corridoor.

As one of contributors who raised the parking issues, I was clearly wrong and I apologise to Derek et al.

I am absolutely stunned. This is the first time I have ever known an event at Carnall’s that did not descend into traffic chaos.

The last weekend event I attended there resulted in police clearing cars from Kingsway as the buses could not get through, with cars parked everywhere. Now I only visit Carnall’s to deliver my niece and nephew to their many sporting activities (still cannot persuade them to have a train set!)

Of interest I was at Didcot yesterday, for their big gala and the expectation was the car parks would be full early on. Having been to the Swindon show first, we were all surprised to find the car park with less than 50 vehicles present. When we went inside it was clear to see why with a very poor attendance. We rode the steam rail motor most of the afternoon with only a few runs with it being full.

I am meeting one of the EM show traders later on and I am interested to hear his comments on the weekend's event.

I am still very surprised, no amazed, the parking was sufficient, after over thirty years of using the venue; my comments are based on bitter past experience of being blocked in, broken wing mirrors and long queues to get in and out, and not from a ‘Doom Merchant’ perspective.

Once again, sorry to Derek and the others and I am pleased from the posts that you had a good show.

Mike Wiltshire

Mike,

the only traffic problem I experienced was after the show on saturday evening, when the footy balls fans caused some traffic jams. The answer is simple, footy balls should be banned at venues near worthwhile activities and events.

From a traders perspective, some found the show rather "slow", but the change of venue and predictions of gloom may have had some impact on that.

Jol

Old Trafford is a stone's throw away and United were playing at home!

That's why i was gone by 4:00pm Saturday!

Martin,

one of the hotels used for exhibitors and trade was just past that den of iniquity where Manchester Untied waste their fans time and money, so we had little choice but to get stuck in the traffic after the show on Saturday (guess who doesn't like this nation's and it's media's obsession with footy balls). I suppose we could have gone to the Trafford Centre or to the pub over the road to waste an hour or two.

Jol

Here are some photos (using the cam corder so as not have to try to resize the photos to put on here)post-6328-0-20398100-1347915851_thumb.jpgpost-6328-0-27506700-1347915895_thumb.jpgpost-6328-0-19327500-1347915945_thumb.jpgpost-6328-0-33126600-1347915995_thumb.jpg I took on Sunday morning before the show opened and I had to man my stand. This is the reason there are not many trains about..

For the sales side I had a very good show and glad the people who were complaining over the car park was proved wrong. I was in a block where 4 out of 5 stands owners are on here. Will be back next year and have already booked my accommodation.

post-6328-0-20398100-1347915851_thumb.jpg

post-6328-0-27506700-1347915895_thumb.jpg

post-6328-0-19327500-1347915945_thumb.jpg

post-6328-0-33126600-1347915995_thumb.jpg

post-6328-0-08804900-1347916060_thumb.jpg

post-6328-0-77841000-1347916118_thumb.jpg

post-6328-0-71151000-1347916204_thumb.jpg

post-6328-0-33198900-1347916288_thumb.jpg

post-6328-0-24162600-1347916385_thumb.jpg

post-6328-0-57444900-1347916481_thumb.jpg

post-6328-0-24501100-1347916538_thumb.jpg

post-6328-0-02535700-1347916592_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

P.S. Tony (Gee), what prototype is your station building mock-up based on?

Sorry I missed that bit when I posted before!

The building is based on Chesterfield Market Place (hence the Mansfield Market Place layout name!) The mock up was created in about three hours from a photograph and a footprint size on the layout plus some foamboard, brickpaper and a couple of dozen windows, drawn on the computer and printed out. The real station is much more ornate and I am quite looking forward to doing a "proper job" on it sometime not to far in the future. There isn't room (or the desire) to do an exact copy. I will have to shrink it and try to keep some proportions about right but after all, we are modelling the slightly smaller terminus proposed at Mansfield, not the big real one at Chesterfield!

Regards

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Mike Wiltshire

Well said that man!

I do wonder if the reason your fears weren't realised is because of the size of the show and the attendance. I can't recall exact figures but I am pretty sure that previous EXPO EM North events had an attendance of around 500 over two days. So if that is 250 per day and allowing for a good number travelling together, the danger of the parking coming under pressure was quite slim.

I am sure swapmeets and other such event would attract higher numbers than that.

It does cause me to wonder how the parking would cope if, as has been suggested, the show is extended to use more of the hall. More hall space would mean more stands/layouts and therefore more exhibitors vehicles and a larger show would hopefully mean more visitors.

So I ask myself if there is a sensible limit to the size of the show and the expectation of visitor numbers, which we shouldn't look to exceed?

• RMweb Gold

Shoreham Street is one layout Ive never seen so far but I love the name :)

And you couldn't miss it either with that b****y vacuum cleaner going off each time! :jester:

I'm now expecting a telling off at another show in just under 2 weeks :scared:

Archived