expoEM North 15th -16th September 2012 - New Venue

DerekEm8

• RMweb Gold

And you couldn't miss it either with that b****y vacuum cleaner going off each time! :jester:

I'm now expecting a telling off at another show in just under 2 weeks :scared:

I shall bring said item to Scaleforum especially for you, might as well upset some posh proper modellers as well :locomotive:

I shall bring said item to Scaleforum especially for you, might as well upset some posh proper modellers as well :locomotive:

Having suffered from your vacuous cleaner antics at expoEM North, I would suggest that you don't overdo it at Leatherhead. Several customers I was on conversation with when you "let off" found it very annoying.

And the reference to "posh " modellers? Clearly you enjoy influencing people and making friends.

Jol

Well said that man!

I do wonder if the reason your fears weren't realised is because of the size of the show and the attendance. I can't recall exact figures but I am pretty sure that previous EXPO EM North events had an attendance of around 500 over two days. So if that is 250 per day and allowing for a good number travelling together, the danger of the parking coming under pressure was quite slim.

I am sure swapmeets and other such event would attract higher numbers than that.

It does cause me to wonder how the parking would cope if, as has been suggested, the show is extended to use more of the hall. More hall space would mean more stands/layouts and therefore more exhibitors vehicles and a larger show would hopefully mean more visitors.

So I ask myself if there is a sensible limit to the size of the show and the expectation of visitor numbers, which we shouldn't look to exceed?

Does any one know how full the car park was? I doubt that it would become an issue, that only seems to happen at non scale society events and where there are other popular activities in or near the venue (Railex, for example).

While having few visitors and a relatively empty venue may be nice for some, it doesn't help traders. More exhibits and a bigger hall needs more income, therefore more visitors and traders. It is an important balance to get right, especially with the surfeit of shows that we have in this country.

Jol

Sorry I missed that bit when I posted before!

Thank you for that, Tony. I am looking forward to seeing how the layout develops, as I will be building something of the same scope in Bradford North Western.

I was also very impressed with the potential of Glaisden but I wished I had spent more time looking at its platform roof. I will need to build an overall roof for BNW and have looked at the different approaches taken in the threads here on Liverpool Lime Street and Manchester Central. I am rather scared of the high-tech approach taken on the former and wonder if the builder(s) of Glaisden, if they are on RMWeb, could explain their approach, since it seemed to be successful. However, I guess that the real difficulty on a complex project like this will be getting off my butt and starting - and keeping going till I stop. :no:

Thanks again to all who were involved in making the show so successful.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Having suffered from your vacuous cleaner antics at expoEM North, I would suggest that you don't overdo it at Leatherhead. Several customers I was on conversation with when you "let off" found it very annoying.

And the reference to "posh " modellers? Clearly you enjoy influencing people and making friends.

Jol

"Annoying" is probably what he is best at! Many years of perfecting the art and now reaching some of the highest levels!

The worst thing is that he will probably take that as a compliment!

"Annoying" is probably what he is best at! Many years of perfecting the art and now reaching some of the highest levels!

The worst thing is that he will probably take that as a compliment!

Tony,

Mike annoying ? where on earth do you get that impression from ?

He's such a delicate,quiet, unassuming little chap. :O :o :O

• RMweb Premium

As one of contributors who raised the parking issues, I was clearly wrong and I apologise to Derek et al.

I am absolutely stunned. This is the first time I have ever known an event at Carnall’s that did not descend into traffic chaos.

I am still very surprised, no amazed, the parking was sufficient, after over thirty years of using the venue; my comments are based on bitter past experience of being blocked in, broken wing mirrors and long queues to get in and out, and not from a ‘Doom Merchant’ perspective.

Once again, sorry to Derek and the others and I am pleased from the posts that you had a good show.

Mike Wiltshire

May I endorse Mike's comments as I had also raised the possibility of parking issues. As he has explained, the concerns were only raised in the light of previous experience at the venue and I am delighted to say that they were unfounded. The show was well up to the usual standard and I would give a particular mention to Foundry Lane and Shoreham Street but that doesn't in any way reflect on any lack of appreciation in the other exhibits. I suspect that the Tony Gee/Keith Hill layout factory will have another winner on their hands with Mansfield Market Place and I look forward to seeing it develop.

Well done to everyone involved and I look forward to next year.

David

I was also very impressed with the potential of Glaisden but I wished I had spent more time looking at its platform roof. I will need to build an overall roof for BNW and have looked at the different approaches taken in the threads here on Liverpool Lime Street and Manchester Central. I am rather scared of the high-tech approach taken on the former and wonder if the builder(s) of Glaisden, if they are on RMWeb, could explain their approach, since it seemed to be successful.

Ian

Ian you have a PM on the subject above - as one of the Glaisden team!

Looks like he should go to this then. http://www.broadgaug...ib_newbury.html :yes: :bye:

Paul,

perhaps I should point out my views about all things GWR. It ranks with other over rated things such as footy balls and those pale fizzy fluids that masquerade as beer, which are enthused over by the unthinking masses, as something to be avoided at all costs. :onthequiet:

Jol

A final few snaps. Thanks to all operators for good-humoured co-operation and patience while I footered about with my point'n'shoot. Every layout was a highlight, and the Tony Gee and Ken Hill performance was as entertaining as ever. Nice too, to speak to Derek Evans and put a face to the name. I look forward to next year, with a faster journey time now I know where I'm going...

post-7286-0-25893800-1347978470.jpg Alkham

post-7286-0-87130900-1347978631.jpg Ogden Fold

post-7286-0-67065900-1347978655.jpg Kitehouses

post-7286-0-67567300-1347978723.jpg Kitehouses

post-7286-0-99906000-1347978766.jpg Hemyock

post-7286-0-84446900-1347978819.jpg Foundry Lane

post-7286-0-19021600-1347978880.jpg Foundry Lane

(Edited to re-attach unattached attachments)

• RMweb Gold

I certainly enjoyed myself where there was quality layouts and modelling all round, I even sat in front of a demonstrator asking about scenery.

It was also good to meet both members of this forum and also existing and new customers.

Must admit I wasn't feeling my best that weekend but still enjoyed myself.

Roll on next year.

Guest oldlugger

Some lovely layouts on display with plenty of originality. The only one I've seen in person is Merthyr Riverside (2004 BRM exhibition, Doncaster).

Simon

Shoreham Street is one layout Ive never seen so far but I love the name :)

Seeing the name on the list, my first thought was that it would be based on the ex-Midland (or possibly the MS&L) lines in the Sheffield area, so I was at first puzzled by the outside third rail and the green ground of the station nameboard... I checked on Streetmap when I got home, and Sheffield's “Shoreham Street” is the only one of that name in Britain. Cracking layout, though; I do like lines that thread their way through the congestion of an urban landscape.

(Click on the picture for a larger view, but don't look too closely at the perspective!)

post-7286-0-10683300-1347998006_thumb.jpg

I like that picture - how is the achieved?

Totally OT

Shoreham St in Sheffield is named after Shoreham by Sea......Presumably part of the Duke of Norfolk's estates........ most of Sheffield was/is owned by His Grace

I simply stood as far back as I could, lined up with the middle of each of the two halves of the layout to get two pictures, then cobbled them together in Photoshop. The perspective didn't match – the bridge in the middle should be square on, but I used the image from the right-hand picture so it looks angled, and there are other bodges if you look closely. It was only a spur of the moment thing, late Saturday afternoon at the expo. There are various things I can try to make a better job next time.

The street I used to live in is one of a dozen in Sheffield named "Binsted"- this, that, or the other after the Duke's home estate in Sussex. I'm interested in place names, but I hated that ugly appellation, and I got fed up of telling people that no, there's no "a" in "Binsted". (rant over).

Ian you have a PM on the subject above - as one of the Glaisden team!

Well thats over for another year. Ive been going to Expo EM North since Moby Dick was still a tadpole and i thought I'd really miss going this year. I toyed with the thought of going on Sunday morning if only to have a play with Glaisden (which I did miss along with the banter that goes with attending - always a highlight) but decided better of it, which as it turned out was a very wise idea. Not only that but it's confirmed my resolve to save money on things I don't get a lot out of - as I was nowhere near the membership secretary I couldn't relent and renew my subscription to the EMGS!

Andy,

Is the above post really relevant to this thread or is it just sour grapes.?

If you have a gripe please take it somewhere else. (which I believe you already have, so why repeat it here ?)

• RMweb Gold

Seeing the name on the list, my first thought was that it would be based on the ex-Midland (or possibly the MS&L) lines in the Sheffield area, so I was at first puzzled by the outside third rail and the green ground of the station nameboard... I checked on Streetmap when I got home, and Sheffield's “Shoreham Street” is the only one of that name in Britain. Cracking layout, though; I do like lines that thread their way through the congestion of an urban landscape.

(Click on the picture for a larger view, but don't look too closely at the perspective!)

post-7286-0-10683300-1347998006_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your comments kind sir :thankyou: :blush: :blush:

The bridge actually goes from right to left! Nice shot though.

Archived