expoEM North 15th -16th September 2012 - New Venue

DerekEm8

After a 14 hour session today, I am pleased to report that big chunks of the layout are up and running. Just the 14 crossing nose switches to sort out and some cross baseboard plugs and sockets and we should have an operating layout. We had a slight panic when we found out that the lever frame was electrically live to the track, on each of the rails. Just goes to show that it doesn't matter how many layouts I may have built, I still don't get it right every time! The last bits of wiring will hopefully get done on Thursday, so that gives us a week to see what we can do with the scenery. The platforms are well advanced but that is about all so far.

At least we have a fighting chance of having something to play with at EXPO.

Yes Tony, the digit should have been removed months ago...... See you there, if I can find a parking space... only kidding Derek.

Dave Franks

Ah were going to keep mi brass ont' reight side ont' Pennines - as a protest tha knows - but ah suppose there's no sense in cuttin' off mi nose t' spite mi face, and ah suppose one or two ont' layouts might not be too rubbish. But t' get best price on an least expensive advance rail ticket (£5.95 return, dear God!) I can't get train home til 21.43, so I'm going ter 'ave t' stop off int' “Jolly Angler”, suppin' Hydes beer or some other stuff that no-one's ever 'eerd on and listenin' ter folk music (and I'll bet nobbody bar me knows words ont' "Dalesman's Litany"). Ah won't enjoy mi sen, but that'll likely be about only satisfactory thing about day out...

(Edited for accuracy)

No Dave, it should read "if Borders Agency let me through immigration at Gretna...."

Andy, I think you've got that a bit wrong, the immigration control is to stop you lot coming to our green and pleasant land. Us, well we can go anywhere, with or without Tunny bars.

As an aside, Sue Pollard was talking on the radio the other day and mentioned panto where they would throw sweeties to the audience who sometimes threw them back but at a certain Scottish venue it was Tunnocks Caramel Wafers.... Only in Glasgow eh....

Ar ra best,

Dave Franks

Ah were going to keep mi brass ont' reight side ont' Pennines - as a protest tha knows - but ah suppose there's no sense in cuttin' off mi nose t' spite mi face, and ah suppose one or two ont' layouts might not be too rubbish. But t' get best price on an least expensive advance rail ticket (£5.95 return, dear God!) I can't get train home til 21.43, so I'm going ter 'ave t' stop off int' “Jolly Angler”, suppin' Hydes beer or some other stuff that no-one's ever 'eerd on and listenin' ter folk music (and I'll bet nobbody bar me knows words ont' "Dalesman's Litany"). Ah won't enjoy mi sen, but that'll likely be about only satisfactory thing about day out...

(Edited for accuracy)

Bl**dy Yorkshiremen

Andy, I think you've got that a bit wrong, the immigration control is to stop you lot coming to our green and pleasant land. Us, well we can go anywhere, with or without Tunny bars.

As an aside, Sue Pollard was talking on the radio the other day and mentioned panto where they would throw sweeties to the audience who sometimes threw them back but at a certain Scottish venue it was Tunnocks Caramel Wafers.... Only in Glasgow eh....

Ar ra best,

Dave Franks

Bl**dy Scotsmen.

'ang about, isnt there a commonality here, short arms, deep pockets ? :scratchhead:

Anyway I hope you both enjoy your time in god's own county, as I'm up Ramsbottom (The town not the Herdwick) that weekend I unfortunately wont be there to exchange banter with you both But come back two weeks after that for the Manchester Show !

As somebody put in the local Village Mag where I lived in then.

"Wanted builder to repair Hadrian Wall"

As a broad joke at all the Celt's who had moved onto the village.

To quote Jimmy Edwards, playing a Roman centurion fifty-odd years back: "I told Hadrian he was wasting his time building that wall - they just tuck their kilts in and paddle round the end!"

• RMweb Premium

If we are getting a vist from some of the "Scots Gits" (I hope that is acceptable language and I apologise in advance if it isn't but it is the collective noun for a bunch that come down to play trains on Retford every once in a while. I think they coined the term themselves) I really had better get my finger out! I would normally expect some grief from that direction on a good day, so if things are not as they should be I will really catch it!

If you want to run some of your lovely locos on the layout, Dave, feel free to bring some along. I may have to repaint them GCR Green when you are looking away but I am sure Robinson would have designed a Fairburn style tank eventually.

12 out of 14 crossing noses now switched and the first train ran all the way down the layout today, so thing so are looking slightly (much!!) better than they did a few days ago.

A week in model railways is a long time............

<If we are getting a vist from some of the "Scots Gits" (I hope that is acceptable language and I apologise in advance if it isn't but it is the collective noun for a bunch that come down to play trains on Retford every once in a while. I think they coined the term themselves)>

I think you'll find it was that man 'Jackson' that coined us 'The Scots Gits'. It's writ large on the photo of us all.

<I really had better get my finger out! I would normally expect some grief from that direction on a good day, so if things are not as they should be I will really catch it!>

Aye. (trans. Oh Yes)

<If you want to run some of your lovely locos on the layout, Dave, feel free to bring some along. I may have to repaint them GCR Green when you are looking away but I am sure Robinson would have designed a Fairburn style tank eventually.>

I might but I'll be confiscating the paint brushes...

<12 out of 14 crossing noses now switched and the first train ran all the way down the layout today, so thing so are looking slightly (much!!) better than they did a few days ago.>

It would have been easier with the 'Red Arrow' system.

<A week in model railways is a long time............>

Aye, again.

Dave Franks

And a Lancastrian is a Yorkshireman with his sense of humour removed...

Should be there on the Saturday.

(Yorkshire and proud)

We Lancastrians all have an excellent sense of humour its just that Yorkshiremen (and other Johnny Foreigners) happen to have a different one living where they do. :scratchhead: :scratchhead: :scratchhead:

...Sheffield is not realllly in Yorkshire in the sense of "ee by gum me whippets et me flat cap"

Ah, but you claim to live in one of the posher areas of Sheffield, Mickey - I bet you don't even pronounce it "Sheffeld". Next time I visit the family out in S26, I'll take a snap of the sign in the entrance of Swallownest Miners Welfare Club: "No Whippets on Fridays". Any other day is OK.

Bl**dy Yorkshiremen

Bl**dy Scotsmen.

'ang about, isnt there a commonality here, short arms, deep pockets ? :scratchhead:

Anyway I hope you both enjoy your time in god's own county, as I'm up Ramsbottom (The town not the Herdwick) that weekend I unfortunately wont be there to exchange banter with you both But come back two weeks after that for the Manchester Show !

Mr Cooper as an ex-exhibition manager I would expect you to get your sums and dates right

15th/16th September +14days =2 weeks = 29th/30th September

Manchester Show is THREE weeks later on the 6th/7th October. :no: :no: :no:

You can always tell a Yorkshireman,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but not much.

A favourite quip in Yorkshire, and, actually, this chestnut is widely used: Norwegians say it of Swedes, Swedes of Norwegians, Americans of Texans, etc. - and Germans say it of Germans!

And, from the George Formby song book:

"North or South, when I open my mouth, they know that I’m not Dutch,

They can tell I come from Lancashire, but they can’t tell me much." ("A Lad from Lancashire").

Archived