Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

• RMweb Gold

Personally I think the whole ethos of members sales is to give fellow members a chance of a bargain, not to allow traders to hoover up cheap goods and re sell them at a healthy profit.

I know the items I have bought at good prices I have been very grateful to other society members for.

I don't know how it could be policed, it would need some sort of soul searching by certain traders, and let's face it, that ain't gonna happen. Maybe traders should only be allowed to buy in the last 10 minutes of an exhibition?

Just my 2 cents worth.

Mike.

• Like 2

Personally I think the whole ethos of members sales is to give fellow members a chance of a bargain, not to allow traders to hoover up cheap goods and re sell them at a healthy profit.

I know the items I have bought at good prices I have been very grateful to other society members for.

I don't know how it could be policed, it would need some sort of soul searching by certain traders, and let's face it, that ain't gonna happen. Maybe traders should only be allowed to buy in the last 10 minutes of an exhibition?

Just my 2 cents worth.

Mike.

That is a good idea for society shows (EM, P4 etc) and should be policed by the organisers, but at club shows the members do have the first pick !!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That is a good idea for society shows (EM, P4 etc) and should be policed by the organisers, but at club shows the members do have the first pick !!

Nothing to stop a suspect trader, being a member of the club/society.

The wheelsets in the recently-acquired Finney Dean 3000 gallon tender were flogged on eBay for a tenner, so a net price of £31 for the kit itself. Rather more expensively, a Finney City kit has joined it!

Quite often I have bought/won lots where some of the items are not required, its always worth buying these lots as what one person does not want another does and can reduce the net cost considerably. Looks like you did well out of the deal

....worth buying these lots as what one person does not want another does and can reduce the net cost considerably. Looks like you did well out of the deal

Helps if the photos clearly show what you need to get rid of, though!

The wheelsets were Ultrascales, but were EM profile so I couldn't make use of them. Bloke in Hemel Hempstead bought them.

Helps if the photos clearly show what you need to get rid of, though!

The wheelsets were Ultrascales, but were EM profile so I couldn't make use of them. Bloke in Hemel Hempstead bought them.

I find the best buys are when the seller puts in a c**p/wrong description and a poor quality photo, this seems to put most off, I don't mind EM wheels its those fiddly P4 ones that give me head aches, admittedly you take a gamble this way but I normally fine it works out fine with the odd not too expensive unwanted item. BUT if you explain clearly what you are selling (warts and all) someone will fancy them and buy.

ps  is my RG4 worth 3 figures yet?

Are you going to Railex, if so I will be helping out C&L as Peters back is playing up, may even have a bit of P4 track on the go !!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

5 coaches and 9 wagons for £21 + postage, that will do very nicely. Given some of the coaches and wagons in this lot I would normally see go for £18 - 20 each seemed like a good deal. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

If you're in the market for a decent compressor / tank for airbrushing, keep an eye out on Ebay for airbrushsupplyonline.

post-2274-0-78056600-1466239472.jpg

Mini Twin Airbrush Compressor With Tank - AS196 Kit : retail price with delivery - £108.00.

Just won one - brand new : including delivery - £71.06.

Both from airbrushsupplyonline at the identical address.

And it seems that you get a twin action airbrush thrown in free!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 2

I have been tempted by East German steam superpower again, in the shape of a Roco DR 01.5 oil-fired pacific, which hopefully can be renumbered as one of the preserved ones (but not "519" which has a conical smokebox door). Also need to have a look at the wheelsets to see how Roco made them, again with a view to P87 replacement.

RRP is somewhere around £220 / 230, but an eBay find was £154. Doesn't appear to have been run, either.

post-6879-0-08532000-1466589025_thumb.jpg

Looks like it will have to be 01.509, then.

Added another King Arthur to my roster - at 53 quid and DCC installed (Hornby decoder) seemed like a VERY good buy. Missing the accessory pack, BUT, unpainted crew installed in cab.

attachicon.gif30800-1.gif

I think you can still buy the accessory pack separately anyway.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 2

I have been tempted by East German steam superpower again, in the shape of a Roco DR 01.5 oil-fired pacific, which hopefully can be renumbered as one of the preserved ones (but not "519" which has a conical smokebox door). Also need to have a look at the wheelsets to see how Roco made them, again with a view to P87 replacement.

RRP is somewhere around £220 / 230, but an eBay find was £154. Doesn't appear to have been run, either.

Looks like it will have to be 01.509, then.

I think you can still buy the accessory pack separately anyway.

If you know of anywhere, please let me know. I've currently tired all the usual sources (including my preferred Peters) and no-one seems to have any :(

If you know of anywhere, please let me know. I've currently tired all the usual sources (including my preferred Peters) and no-one seems to have any :(

What, have they sold out of the packs already? Which ref. numbers have you tried?

What, have they sold out of the packs already? Which ref. numbers have you tried?

Both X5899 (standard) and the X5899W (weathered), I'd have taken either, not fussed. I was contemplating the X5899G as I'd be prepared to paint the steps, but I also want the cylinder drains and it doesn't look like those are included in that pack, they have 5 of those is all...

Of course the S15 pack would work for me too, but no-one has any of those either!

Edited by Ian Abel

• RMweb Gold

Both X5899 (standard) and the X5899W (weathered), I'd have taken either, not fussed. I was contemplating the X5899G as I'd be prepared to paint the steps, but I also want the cylinder drains and it doesn't look like those are included in that pack, they have 5 of those is all...

Of course the S15 pack would work for me too, but no-one has any of those either!

I was short of a Hornby component that wasn't available from anywhere, so I posted in the 'Wanted' bit. Half an hour later I was contacted by somebody who had what I needed. Result.

Auferstanden Aus Ruinen (der Brexitvote):

post-6879-0-56877100-1466865553_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-54415400-1466865595_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-83095000-1466865682_thumb.jpg

Going secondhand saved about £70 to £80 off the usual retail price. It's astonishingly detailed. Spare parts support is available directly from Roco, and I see that etched plates are available from them at only a few quid to renumber it to ÖGEG's preserved 01 533, as well as parts to change the cab and convert the tender from oil to coal.

Doesn't look like it's ever been run other than on test, and that manifests itself in a droning motor (which is quite loud) and driveline. Motor is tender-mounted, driving tender outer axles and a cardan shaft to a gear tower in the engine.

Tender has room to take a big Maxon or Faulhaber. Don't like the worm gear; three worms drive this model - yuk. Please someone come up with a replacement bevel or contrate-and-pinion system.

• Like 2

Last couple of months have been quite good for bargains.

Two Bachmann A2's , about £65 each, once fitted decoders are  sold on  less than £60 each or even less.

Hornby A3 Book Law £60 and latest Apple Green version of the B1 for £75 both brand new.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

1 x Dapol panner (a very good runner too), 2 x latest farish mk1 coaches, 2 x older Farish mk1 coaches, 1 x older Farish mk1 full brake and 4 assorted GWR Farish and Peco wagons all for a grand total of £71 inc postage. Not a bad deal. The older coaches will be sold straight on as will the wagons, so its likely I will end up paying about £20 for a loco and 2 coaches.

A nice little find from a seller that seems to come up with some gems, all for £22.70 inc postage

post-1131-0-08256100-1468486565_thumb.jpg

A set of Gibson 02 frames and Perseverance hornblock compensation set (all be it 2 mm). A pack of Perseverance small bushes. Also a Perseverance pick up set and a pack Kemp hornblock alignment jigs

3 packs of Jackson brake standards, Crownline brass door handle, W&T crank pin set. A pair of Hamblings whitemetal splashers and a pair of whitemetal sand boxes. A small pack of PB pickups. The 2 K's packs seem to be crank pins (might be useful on older Romford wheels)

A Perseverance etch of a Stanier cylinders

Finally what I can only assume is a 7 mm hornblock etch (this will go back on eBay) no markings as to make

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've just received two Parkside grampus kits, an unboxed but reworked chassis Dapol grampus, a Cambrian dogfish kit and associated handwheel etches and transfers for the princely sum of £15.45.

The gulf red fleet looks set to expand, precision paint arrived today too.

Neil

• Like 2