Bachmann City of Truro

Implacable

Interesting comment.

Personally I think ??150 is too expensive for a loco that does not have DCC fitted as standard.

And a basic-but-adequate chip is what, just under a tenner? That's a pretty fine value judgement to make on a model as offbeat as this :huh:

• RMweb Gold

Apologies if this has already been said.

The NRM commissioned Bachmann to make CoT, much like anyone who commissions a third party, the use and the copyright remains with the originator, not the manufacturer so any further use of the moulds is down to the NRM and not Bachmann, therefore it's extremely unlikely this will ever become a normal production model (I guess the NRM could donate the moulds to Bachmann but I also guessed I'd won the lottery last night - I was wrong about the lottery).

I think, for the quality of the model and the amount of work, that the price is very reasonable - I wish the NRM could commission a 175 :lol:

Interesting comment.

Personally I think ??150 is too expensive for a loco that does not have DCC fitted as standard.

If you consider that a large amount of CoT will end up in display cases, why bother fitting a chip? So long as the loco has a DCC socket its fine for collectors and allows the DCC iser to install their own preference of chip

If you consider that a large amount of CoT will end up in display cases, why bother fitting a chip? So long as the loco has a DCC socket its fine for collectors and allows the DCC iser to install their own preference of chip

Has anyone fitted a SWD 2-cylinder GWR chip yet...?

• RMweb Gold

I rang the NRM earlier this week to check on availability, and the nice lady said that they had over 1000 still in stock, so I think I will wait until after Christmas.

I meant to ask whether the price will increase in the New Year (apart from the VAT, of course), but forgot!... :rolleyes:

The NRM commissioned Bachmann to make CoT, much like anyone who commissions a third party, the use and the copyright remains with the originator, not the manufacturer so any further use of the moulds is down to the NRM and not Bachmann, therefore it's extremely unlikely this will ever become a normal production model

Not necessarily true. The ownership of the IPR will have been stated in the contract, it does not automatically belong to either party. For example, Bachmann might agree to do the production at a lower cost of they gain ownership of the IPR after a specified period of time. Alternatively they might gain ownership with the proviso that they do not release any models of CoT but can do other class members.

A good example would be Ixion Manor which has been produced by Dapol. Part of the work included the production of a 3500 gallon Churchward tender drive. I do not know the details of the arrangement between Ixion and Dapol but I would hazard a guess that Dapol have the rights to the tender drive since they are planning to release a 38xx with the same tender drive. This would not be possible if Ixion automatically owned the copyright. My guess is that Dapol gave Ixion a discount on the production of the Manor in reutn for the right to use the tender drive behind other locos.

Please note that I am not saying any of the above actually happened. I am just pointing out that the IPR is a commodity like any other and the ownership will be specified in the contract and related to the price.

My City of Truro arrived sound and safe today, after having been in a warehouse in Holland since Friday, delivery probably delayed due to the snow.

It's a beautiful model and it has been worth the wait and the money, and I'm also happy to support the NRM, having had free access on the several occasions when I visited York.

I am looking forward to the next NRM release, maybe the Stirling Single or the MR compound.

Leen.

There's nothing preventing Bachmann from negotiating with NRM in a couple of years over the tooling- If they see a market and are prepared to pay the NRM enough then they could buy the tooling/rights to use the tooling. Same goes for the Deltic. I can see more future in the C.O.T tooling than the Deltic though, as the Deltic was a one off!

My CoT arrived at 16.30 on Christmas Eve, and went under the tree. I have had time to open it, detail it (except for the plates) today. The coupler box had to go, surprisingly the second one in the detail pack is identical, I had thought it might be without the box.

The model is superb, after running in it was quite happy on 8 coaches of Bachmann/Hornby/mainline origin. It looks superb at the head of it's "special" of Bachy choc/cream Mk1s!

Yes it was expensive, especially after shipping to Oz, but it immediately rekindles memories of seeing the real thing at Birmingham Moor st. in 1960?? with Caley 123. If only Hornby's Caley were this good!

Glad to support the NRM, had my free entry with 45568jnr last October, no idea what will be next, I would prefer the Director to be a mainstream model, I need a couple! :rolleyes:

Cheers, Peter C.

Maybe I'm being thick, but how did other overseas members aquire their models? I went to the NRM shop but got the message that they don't ship outside the UK (including the Channel Islands!) :huh:

It really does look like a nice model.

Mark.

Maybe I'm being thick, but how did other overseas members aquire their models? I went to the NRM shop but got the message that they don't ship outside the UK (including the Channel Islands!) :huh:

It really does look like a nice model.

Mark.

Hi Mark,

The NRM have made arrangements for non UK residents to purchase the model; you just can't do it online. However, don't ring the number on the website as you will be told to ring the retail department. The direct number for international orders is 01904685730. Ring after 10am UK time, if you want to talk to a real person - if you ring earlier and leave a message they will call you back.

Postage is not cheap but you get a deduction for VAT.

My model arrived on Xmas eve after I placed an order on Dec 17. Beautiful model and IMHO worth every penny

Seasons greetings to all

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If anyone is looking to convert to the more accurate gauges, I've now had mine dismantled and there is plenty of room.

Have to remove the break gear (which will need slimming down before it will fit), driving wheels are on 3mm axles, so the 22 spoke GW wheels with outside cranks from Ultrascale will definitely do the job (hopefully Gibson will have something suitable as well).

Tender wheels could be a bit more of a problem, having 27mm long stub axles, and the lack of sides to the tender chassis means something like the Masokits sub chassis would be too visible. At the moment my thinking is towards fitting a set of brass bearings into the existing holes so that hopefully a 26mm pinpoint axle will fit ok...

Bogie wheels are very easy, 2mm axles held in place by the keeper plate

Hi Mark,

The NRM have made arrangements for non UK residents to purchase the model; you just can't do it online. However, don't ring the number on the website as you will be told to ring the retail department. The direct number for international orders is 01904685730. Ring after 10am UK time, if you want to talk to a real person - if you ring earlier and leave a message they will call you back.

Postage is not cheap but you get a deduction for VAT.

My model arrived on Xmas eve after I placed an order on Dec 17. Beautiful model and IMHO worth every penny

Seasons greetings to all

Dave

Many, many thanks for that, Dave.

I'll try and give them a call early Monday morning. I really shouldn't be spending $300+ so soon after Christmas, but............... ;)

If anyone is looking to convert to the more accurate gauges, I've now had mine dismantled and there is plenty of room.

Have to remove the break gear (which will need slimming down before it will fit), driving wheels are on 3mm axles, so the 22 spoke GW wheels with outside cranks from Ultrascale will definitely do the job (hopefully Gibson will have something suitable as well).

Tender wheels could be a bit more of a problem, having 27mm long stub axles, and the lack of sides to the tender chassis means something like the Masokits sub chassis would be too visible. At the moment my thinking is towards fitting a set of brass bearings into the existing holes so that hopefully a 26mm pinpoint axle will fit ok...

Bogie wheels are very easy, 2mm axles held in place by the keeper plate

Nice one Rich........................keep us posted if you are to be the first one 'ouf of the traps'!

Regards,

Andy.

• RMweb Gold

Nice one Rich........................keep us posted if you are to be the first one 'ouf of the traps'!

Regards,

Andy.

Will hopefully get some more done soon, though I suspect its going to take me forever to get the wheels painted once they arrive. Think ready painted steam wheels would be a good idea for Gibson........

Thanks Rich,

Any chance of some pics of the chassis and the tender underside? Am I correct in thinking this is tender drive and if so is it a motorised tender (ie self contained power unit) or a shaft to the loco? Are the loco driving wheels geared together or rely on the rods to keep them in synch ?

Cheers Tony

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rich,

Any chance of some pics of the chassis and the tender underside? Am I correct in thinking this is tender drive and if so is it a motorised tender (ie self contained power unit) or a shaft to the loco? Are the loco driving wheels geared together or rely on the rods to keep them in synch ?

Cheers Tony

Its loco drive with gearing on both wheels. there are some photos showing the underside a couple of pages back, will end up taking some of mine once I start dismantling it which will show it a bit clearer, but I dont want to start doing that until I have the wheels.

• RMweb Gold

Just a word of warning, on mine one of the pins holding the con rods has decided to leave the loco and has gone missing! :angry: Having paid ??150 for it I am left rather irritated by the problem. I shall contact Bachmann when they re-open (Tuesday?) and see what to do next. At least it is nothing terminal like the motor giving up.

Are the outside cranks metal or plastic? Plastic one have always given problems on models I have had in the past. Though I suppose with twin gear driven axles I don't suppose there will be too much strain on the cranks themselves. Still swithering over getting one of these or Tornado. Spose that could wait til Glasgow in feb where I might get a deal.

• RMweb Gold

I've been able to find the pin but it still doesn't feel secure in the plastic crank I'm considering gluing but I'll probably do more harm than good.

Update

Its going back. The pin dropped out again and has once again gone missing. Although I've pointed this out in my previous post but for ??150 you wouldn't expect parts to fall off it! So I'm non too pleased. But A new one will probably be an improvement as the quartering was off slightly. grrrrrrrrrrrr. Never mind

If the quartering was slightly off then that's probably what worked the pin out. As the wheels are both geared then there really shouldn't be any strain on the cranks, pins n rods at all. Roco did a class 2095 narrow gauge diesel with outside cranks and very few stayed attached or at least with a full set. Plastic cranks and quartering to power wheels is always a very bad idea.

• RMweb Gold

Are the original driving wheels also lined, Rich?

No lining on the model's wheels, thankfully looking at a couple of photos of the prototype the wheels are so weathered that you can barely see the colour (which if I can find some more photos showing the same sort of colour (dirty brown) then modelling aught to be a lot quicker as there will be no need to buy red paint for them!)