Bachmann City of Truro

Implacable

Looks superb - I wonder if a new livery will be appearing from York before long? (I quite fancy the idea of having a 'Truro' for Christmas two years in a row cool.gif ).

But what a shame they've got white painted lamps on it sad.gif

I agree, that livery does look nice. Suits it =)

Trains these days need to have a white headlamp, otherwise you don't see them coming...apparantly!

(Which is true to some extent. Sticking a white A4 sheet of paper to the tender of a black loco a mile away made an ENORMOUS difference to its visibility...)

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just seen the footage of CoT on 'Countryfile' tonight - rather sympathetic coverage of the heritage railway movement, plus some fantastic shots of CoT herself, including working the first passenger train over the re-laid Stanway Viaduct on the Glos & Warwicks line....

• 3 weeks later...

Well, just by chance I saw the CoT at the Bachmann stand at the Ally Pally show. I didn't even realise they'd made one, since I don't usually get the model press or scan these pages for hours.

I'd been trying for about 40 years to motorise the Airfix one and had done some work on it about a year ago (started in 1974), so managed to get the last one from the NRM stock.

What a superb model. The only criticism is the front coupling fitting means the coupling sticks out miles. I managed to modify the spare bogie so it's now a more realistic length. mine will happily pull 10 Mk1s on my layout. Well done Bachmann.

The £140-odd was a price worth paying for such a lovely model.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I was able to get the coal load out without any cutting...just unscrew the 2 screws and unclip the tender body from the chassis, then you can insert a small rod/toothpick/screwdriver into the small hole under the coal load on the inside of the body and just pop the load off.

Another question, Is it possible to remove the coal load from the tender? looks a bit too shiny, and the shape of the coal pile rather reminds me of the look of those old tender drive locos that had the huge coal pile to clear the top of the motor.

• 1 month later...

Excuse my ignorance. Although I appreciate steam locomotives, I'm more of a diesel man (although, ironically when I first got interested in trains many years ago it all started with steam trains :lol: ).

I've just spent a couple of hours reading through this topic. And I'm in need of some clarification....

The version with red frames that the NRM have done, I understand that the model portrays the locomotive as it was until it's recent repaint. But would that version be the same as the post-1985 livery she carried?

Also, the version with black frames is how the locomotive is painted now. But would that also be the same livery it was painted in 1962?

Sorry if this may have been discussed before - although I can find no reference of it in the previous 20 pages.

I've just spent a couple of hours reading through this topic. And I'm in need of some clarification....

The version with red frames that the NRM have done, I understand that the model portrays the locomotive as it was until it's recent repaint. But would that version be the same as the post-1985 livery she carried?

Yes.

Also, the version with black frames is how the locomotive is painted now. But would that also be the same livery it was painted in 1962?

No, I think it was repainted with red frames when resurrected from York museum in the 1950's when it saw alot of use on the Didcot-Southampton route), and carried this livery until this year (apart from the quick BR black relivery in 1985 which doesn't count).

The 1962 livery is a THIRD variant which the NRM has not yet done on the model. The frames and sandboxes were 'Indian red' but the story goes that no genuine Indian red was on hand at the time, so the painter mixed buffer beam red and freight bauxite to an approximation of how he thought Indian Red looked. Contemporary colour slides show it as much lighter and more vivid than the proper Indian Red applied in 1985 and used on the NRM model. Sorry, but I think it looks boring in the present black frame livery and I'd love to see the real thing and the Bachmann model in the 1962 red. After all, its a legitimate service livery for the loco - it was in daily service working trains in that colour scheme - AND its a period which a lot of people model.

CHRIS LEIGH

I'd love to see the real thing and the Bachmann model in the 1962 red.

If they do it then I will have to buy it for my line, until then it won't stop my first issue model running on Leeds Weeklyn Hill after working a railtour (god bless the SLS, excuse for anything)

Sorry, but I think it looks boring in the present black frame livery and I'd love to see the real thing and the Bachmann model in the 1962 red.

CHRIS LEIGH

I prefer it in black, with a more simple livery it is easier to appreciate the elegance of it's design. The problem is tho, if i'd known they would model this variant I wouldn't have brought one of the first releases. The credit card is now looking worried....

Just goes to show that liverywise, you can never please everyone. I just thought that it'd make a nice change from 3440 whilst being historically more correct than either the 1985 "show livery" or the red 1962 version. I'm going to give up and go and paint the Crab red. Oh...hang on... :lol:

• RMweb Gold

The 1962 livery is a THIRD variant which the NRM has not yet done on the model. The frames and sandboxes were 'Indian red' but the story goes that no genuine Indian red was on hand at the time, so the painter mixed buffer beam red and freight bauxite to an approximation of how he thought Indian Red looked. Contemporary colour slides show it as much lighter and more vivid than the proper Indian Red applied in 1985 and used on the NRM model. Sorry, but I think it looks boring in the present black frame livery and I'd love to see the real thing and the Bachmann model in the 1962 red. After all, its a legitimate service livery for the loco - it was in daily service working trains in that colour scheme - AND its a period which a lot of people model.

CHRIS LEIGH

That would be great fun I think Chris, definitely a variant which appeals to me too.

What would also be interesting - although probably rather dull - is to see it in an historically absolutely accurate livery for its final (everyday) operational mechanical condition. The NRM marketeers could run and run with this one without spending on new body tooling.

(BTW are we to assume that this year's NRM model is the GC 8K and not some new, more exotic, tooling I wonder?)

• RMweb Gold

Just goes to show that liverywise, you can never please everyone. I just thought that it'd make a nice change from 3440 whilst being historically more correct than either the 1985 "show livery" or the red 1962 version. I'm going to give up and go and paint the Crab red. Oh...hang on... :lol:

Hopefully both versions are still available, Sir Haydn, please? (for those of us who like to take our time making our minds up!... :D )