coachmann

Will there be a 'last train' with a wreath on the engine? (And a fusillade of detonators of course.)

I was loaned a diesel and someone was going to bring over a crane for track-lifting(!), but I suppose there can't be a 'last train' seeing as the line is not closing, but merely switching focus to the a section of line beyond the station overbridge.

Oh dear, it looks as though the shadows are lengthening in more ways than one.

Aye. To me, the scene below pretty much captures the feel of Greenfield as the pace of change quickened. By 1966 it was difficult to imagine the bustle that had taken place here at peak times only a decade or so before. Naturally the remaining passenger services are in the hands of diesel power, but freight too is changing as Stanier 8Fs and Standard 2-10-0's sweep in alongside the newer motive power. The familiar 'hee-haw' horn heralds the passing of a Derby Type 2 Bo-Bo in the familiar dark green on westbound vans.... 

post-6680-0-66912000-1403538872_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Aye. To me, the scene below pretty much captures the feel of Greenfield as the pace of change quickened. By 1966 it was difficult to imagine the bustle that had taken place here at peak times only a decade or so before. Naturally the remaining passenger services are in the hands of diesel power, but freight too is changing as Stanier 8Fs and Standard 2-10-0's sweep in alongside the newer motive power. The familiar 'hee-haw' horn heralds the passing of a Derby Type 2 Bo-Bo in the familiar dark green on westbound vans.... 

attachicon.gifWEB Trains 80.jpg

Amazing picture Coach, one of your best I think; really hard to tell it's a model...now let's move it on a year or so and watch an all-green type 4 whistle through... :locomotive:

David

Thanks guys. The backdrop is the Moors but is actually above Waterhead waterworks. English Electric Type 4's actually started working over the Standedge route in the spring of 1961 but the Sulzer Type 4's took over a few years later. I've run out of photos now but not ideas.   :biggrin_mini2:

Hope you don't mind, but here it is in black and white.

post-15-0-43492900-1403593133.jpg

Could I just add.

While all your pictures of Greenfield have been very good, the last few since you started lifting track have,in my view, been the best. Reminds me of how I saw the railways as a child.

• RMweb Gold

If anything, it looks even more believable in B & W, and it was pretty damn good to start with!

I'd like to see your version with grain and scratches though Larry.

It really is a superb photo, almost impossible to identify as a model.

• RMweb Gold

Whenever I see that Greenfield has new content I eagerly click through as the photos of exquisite stock on one of the best photographic backgrounds is always a joy to behold. But each time the heart beats faster as I know it may be the last time I see photos of this fantastic layout.

It may not have been what you wanted from a layout from an operational viewpoint, but your modelling has been an inspiration and has provided a great backdrop for some spectacular photographs. I look forward to more of the same standard in the new layout, but mourn the passing of Greenfield.

Regards, Neil

One of the 'old boys' captured driver 'Cannonball' struggling to coax Fowler class 7F 0-8-0 No.49618 through Greenfield with empty wagons for Healey Mills in 1957. No doubt fireman Bottomley was watching helplessly as his precious toil flew out the chimney....

post-6680-0-34945600-1403630459_thumb.jpg

Do you know what? I always wondered who took that photograph...

Found this postcard in a suitcase in my Dad's loft

sorry, spilt coffee on it...

post-7286-0-49581600-1403631512.jpg

Could you have another sort through that suitcase, please, freebs? I live in hope that irrefutable photographic evidence exists that Gresley's P2 No.2001 in original condition once stormed through Wadsley Bridge station on a Manchester London Road - Sheffield Victoria Express!

• RMweb Gold

One of the 'old boys' captured driver 'Cannonball' struggling to coax Fowler class 7F 0-8-0 No.49618 through Greenfield with empty wagons for Healey Mills in 1957. No doubt fireman Bottomley was watchingattachicon.gifWEB Trains 79.jpg helplessly as his precious toil flew out the chimney....

attachicon.gifWEB Trains 79.jpg

Now that is what I call a smoke effect - wound right down and regulator open and bit of steam leaking off the injector as well as the front end being a bit less than tight somewhere.  And for once sound is really there in a 4mm engine, I can see it as well as hear it!

• RMweb Gold

I know photoshopping in smoke effects gets a mixed reaction, but how could anyone look at that image and not be impressed. That is one of the very best I've seen and, to me at least, truly enhances the superb quality of the modelling.

Archived