coachmann

Do you know what? I always wondered who took that photograph...

Found this postcard in a suitcase in my Dad's loft

sorry, spilt coffee on it...

Brilliant.

I know photoshopping in smoke effects gets a mixed reaction, but how could anyone look at that image and not be impressed. That is one of the very best I've seen and, too me at least, truly enhances the superb quality of the modelling.

totally agree

The claggy Fowler 7F 0-8-0 was appropriate as one of the final images seeing as memories such as this in the 1950s inspired me to build Greenfield in the first place. That the layout didn't quite 'do it' in the way I hoped is just another of life's many adventures. In reality, much freight also went via the Micklehurst Loop but I conveniently forgot it existed! 

The new layout will be a narrow plank built very much like a diorama to facilitate photography using an SLR and to allow as much light as possible onto the tracks. The viewpoint will in from the opposite side of the tracks to Greenfield looking down from the hillside, but a hillside in the foreground would lead to unwanted shadows, and it will begin where Greenfield station left off. The line is still on a ledge cut into the hillside with very little visible immediately behind the layout save for the tops of walls, trees, minor grassy embankments and bridge parapets. A photographic distant hillside could be pasted onto the backing screens but I will probably use model trees to hide the 'join'. Seeing as past signal boxes at the front of the layout have been knocked to the floor (I've lost one!), this structure might have to switch to the Up side. Track will be C+L and Peco points. PGH has given me point motors. Working signals will also be fitted this time as part of the operational play value.

The period is 1957-ish as a basepoint, as I want more BR maroon around, but it will have to be flexible seeing as the Delph Branch will have remained open after 1955........The little lies are kicking in already! The Fowler 0-8-0's left Lees,Oldham in 1957. However, some of the ex pre-grouping coaches will have to go to new homes as being out of time or simply surplus. There is no point in going into more detail here. When work actually starts, a new thread will be started in case it is of interest.

Cheers,

Larry G.

• RMweb Gold

Larry, you have kept us enthralled not only by the standard of your modelling, but the artistry of your camera work and the little snippets of history about the area and its trains. Beyond that there have been so many tips on what to use, where to get it and how to do it that I am sure we will all be following your new project with the same interest that Greenfield has generated.

Eric

• RMweb Gold

If you keep the signal box the correct side of the line, you only need to place it in situe when taking photos that would / should include it. The rest of the time it can be kept safely out of the way, and the hole in the ground can either be edited out, kept out of the shot altogether, or have a fill-in piece of matching ballast.

• RMweb Gold

I have to say that, even though it's sad to see it go, watching Greenfield gradually dismantled gives a great representation of the end of life of so many stations. Even in pulling bits off you're creating fantastic scenes for the camera!

And as for the coaching stock... spectacular... another walk through history one coach at a time!

Neil

Surely to close the station there has to be a public hearing  with local board or what ever or perhaps there could be a few coach trips to view and have a cup of tea? Like the coaches you have repainted the rake in the station looks very impressive .

Surely to close the station there has to be a public hearing  with local board or what ever or perhaps there could be a few coach trips to view and have a cup of tea? 

Ha ha.....but the real station is still open and so the model station isn't closing. It will continue to exist 'off stage' with the station overbridge acting as the scenic break in place of the present 'sloping' bridge near the doorway.

• RMweb Gold

Whilst all your coaches are pristine, would the real ones not have suffered the same fate of repainting, and thus would also be somewhat patchy ?

( Not that I can see which is definitely the resprayed panel...).

Whilst all your coaches are pristine, would the real ones not have suffered the same fate of repainting, and thus would also be somewhat patchy ?

( Not that I can see which is definitely the resprayed panel...).

The the ones on the far end of the coach are slightly darker. Probably rather realistic as you say.

Maroon -ER stock looks excellent - will you be selling the remaining blood and custard?

The Eastern Region stock that remains in blood & custard will be kept on the basis that I couldn't face building them again! Those already done rubbed down quite satisfactorily and so I don't need to strip the brass sides. Some blood & custards will remain in order to create the right balance for 1957. 

Are you sure you really need all those Gresleys Larry? I could find a very good home for them. :jester:

If I ever turn my back on railways altogether I know where to send my coaches now!  :biggrin_mini2: I am not well up on withdrawal dates of Gresley coaches so a question mark hangs over my early LNER Kitchen dining Car.

• RMweb Gold

The Eastern Region stock that remains in blood & custard will be kept on the basis that I couldn't face building them again! Those already done rubbed down quite satisfactorily and so I don't need to strip the brass sides. Some blood & custards will remain in order to create the right balance for 1957. 

If I ever turn my back on railways altogether I know where to send my coaches now!  :biggrin_mini2: I am not well up on withdrawal dates of Gresley coaches so a question mark hangs over my early LNER Kitchen dining Car.

If ever that is the case then you know where to send the Midland/LMS ones!!

Archived