coachmann

• RMweb Premium

Yup - I'm keen to see some of Larry's coaches in action, and some new photo locations.

As for the gloom in the shed you often mention - how about some directional lighting?  The mine in the corner of my layout was like the black hole of Calcutta, even with the concealed strip lighting I use, but a directional spot really livened it up.

Not a great photo but taken with available light only, no flash.  This corner was horrid before I fitted the light.  Sorry about the US subject in your thread!

post-10195-0-55708000-1402691561.jpg

Now, what have we got here, an excellent layout built (several times) by a bloke what knows a thing or two about coaches.

Some folk may remember a thread that featured all sorts of useful information and wonderful models of coaches.

Might it be an idea if some pictures of these coaches running through Greenfield were to appear from time to time (daily perhaps) with informative captions. The best of several worlds.

Just a thought.

I think Greenfield was also one of the few locations where fully lined LMS stock was seen in the 1950s.

Directional lighting is on the way thanks to a friend. I'll be picking it up over the weekend. Sandside makes a point and so I will post pictures of trains. But I got a few surprises when I attempted to set up the crack Liverpool-Newcastle set yesterday and found I had sold too many of my own coaches over the years. One LMS porthole compo and two 68' diners do not make a train so i'll have to get busy again. The Eastern Region sets are intact because most of the Gresleys use Hornby donors and are quite valueless.

I think Greenfield was also one of the few locations where fully lined LMS stock was seen in the 1950s.

I certainly saw some in the late 1940s when I was but a lad (flush sided non-corridors with 1930s pseudo panelling) but I suspect 1950s would be stretching it. But when I photograph the trains I will point out the diagrams if this helps.

• RMweb Premium

There is very little that can be added to this Greenfield thread now. I could post pictures of the 10.15 to Delph or the 14.00 from Newcaste etc, but it would look pretty silly without any form of signalling. I'm not buying any until I see something operational that I like, and they would be for my next layout anyway.

And so if it's okay I will commence a new thread at some point to give a wee overview of the new location and my aims. Once work starts it should be a quick layout and the new wiring will be re soldered to new track as it is laid.  But for the moment though I am studying photos and pondering a few tiny niggles.

Please start the thread early and let us in on your thought processes - so we can try and confuse you with daft alternative suggestions.

The first daft suggestion is make it portable, so when you've built it you can pass it on / sell it to someone who likes running trains on beautiful layouts more than building (or trying and failing to build) beautiful layouts.

• RMweb Premium

Directional lighting is on the way thanks to a friend. I'll be picking it up over the weekend. Sandside makes a point and so I will post pictures of trains. But I got a few surprises when I attempted to set up the crack Liverpool-Newcastle set yesterday and found I had sold too many of my own coaches over the years. One LMS porthole compo and two 68' diners do not make a train so i'll have to get busy again. The Eastern Region sets are intact because most of the Gresleys use Hornby donors and are quite valueless.

Try putting some on ebay I think you may be supprised it won't be a lottery win but someone will buy them.

Get well soon Andy. Eye operation I presume?

I've had a full days running session today. Bearing in mind that RTR locos are designed to go around very sharp curves, it amazed me that some derailed their bogies on 27" radius through catching moulded-on front steps. Another occurrence is hunting and waddling in a most toy-like fashion. RMwebbers mention detail but never if a loco runs in a straight line or not. In future this will determine whether I buy particular locos or not.

It has become obvious I have set some Bachmann couplings not far enough ahead of the buffers heads, resulting in derailments and buffer locking. So quite a bit of remedial work is looming!

This is so much better than rakes of matching carriages, every coach here tells a story of its place in design, development and operation.  There is such a sense of place and time. I'm getting so much pleasure from looking at those pictures, thanks you.

• RMweb Premium

I would say that as long as the wheels are metal in bearings, haulage will be just as easy, if not better than rtr all plastic coaches. I'll give an example, I inherited a really old LNWR all brass coach I fitted it with ratio plastic LNWR bogies with the plastic wheels. Result, the thing could be barely moved.

I recently rebuilt the underframe in styrene to take some weight out of it, and fitted all metal Hornby wheels running in brass pin-points. The coach still weighs in at about the same as two or three rtr ones, but it is so free running now that you can move it using a feather!

Andy G

Larry - You might think the Gresleys are of little value - can I have a chance to decide that for myself?

Tell me more - I'm building up the stock for Waverley when it starts to rise from its ashes later this year and with 30' x10 I'm going to need a lot of stock...

ATB

Peter

Larry - You might think the Gresleys are of little value - can I have a chance to decide that for myself?

Tell me more - I'm building up the stock for Waverley when it starts to rise from its ashes later this year and with 30' x10 I'm going to need a lot of stock...

ATB

Peter

Hi Peter. What I should have said is, if I'm going to sell a coach it might as well be one with a high monetary value. The Gresley's take ages and have less value being part plastic. I did quite a lot for Greenfield thank goodness, as I couldn't go through it again.

Are most of these coaches metal or metal sided ?  If so, how does that affect the pulling power of the locos ?

Some of the Hornby Gresley non-corridors are very light indeed even with etched brass sides., nevertheless, most of my own coaches are lighter than the average because they were designed to be. They will be even lighter soon. But my earliest coaches like the M49 and M47 already illustrated are heavy with their purpose etched seats ad multi-layer parts. When I entered the RTR brass coach market 14 years ago I had much to learn, but I much prefer it to painting & lining for a living. I cannot do any haulage comparisons as I don't have any RTR plastic coaches. Mind you, that is about to change because now i have a layout I'm not too worried about the plastic lozenge windows any longer!

Get well soon Andy. Eye operation I presume?

I've had a full days running session today. Bearing in mind that RTR locos are designed to go around very sharp curves, it amazed me that some derailed their bogies on 27" radius through catching moulded-on front steps. Another occurrence is hunting and waddling in a most toy-like fashion. RMwebbers mention detail but never if a loco runs in a straight line or not. In future this will determine whether I buy particular locos or not.

It has become obvious I have set some Bachmann couplings not far enough ahead of the buffers heads, resulting in derailments and buffer locking. So quite a bit of remedial work is looming!

Hi Larry, still looking in at the pics, wonderful coaches, re the eyes, I had a Minor Stroke last weekend brought on by over doing things since the house move and some stress. Just got double vission at the moment the but CT scan  showed no damage to the old brain box so thats good news, MRI scan week after this.

Love the B & C Coaches and the low level pics, Thanks.

Guest bri.s

Hi Larry, still looking in at the pics, wonderful coaches, re the eyes, I had a Minor Stroke last weekend brought on by over doing things since the house move and some stress. Just got double vission at the moment the but CT scan showed no damage to the old brain box so thats good news, MRI scan week after this.

Love the B & C Coaches and the low level pics, Thanks.

Glad your on the mend andy,

And your certainly living up to your name coachman , awesome modelling

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Some of the Hornby Gresley non-corridors are very light indeed even with etched brass sides., nevertheless, most of my own coaches are lighter than the average because they were designed to be. They will be even lighter soon.

Larry, you're teasing us again. Are your new offerings going to be of composite construction?

Archived