coachmann

Fellow member PGH came round today to see the layout before its demise and had a play even though it was 100 degrees even with the door open and the lid off the tunnels. A spider came belting out of one of the 'tunnels' no doubt spooked by the Austin Seven, but he got deaded. Dismantling has already started as the 'era' creeps beyond 1953 into late 1954.... Pictures to follow. I'm not repainting that lone Gresley...It looks rather neat in maroon. I always did like this livery. Anyway the new layout will likely be 1956-ish as there are no defining landmark alterations to contend with like there were at Greenfield. If I can capture the location, it should look familiar to anyone visiting the area today. The actual trains rather than buildings will help define the period.

An Austerity speeds through Greenfield on the down as one of Lees's two Fairburn Tanks is halted at imaginary signals with the daily goods from Delph.......

post-6680-0-16842600-1403044511.jpg 

While waiting to move forward to the points,  another freight trundles past behind a Crab......

post-6680-0-96245400-1403044513.jpg

The wagons have been dropped in the yard and the crew have left 42115 in the headshunt and gone for a cuppa....Or maybe even fallen down the 'hole' into the underpass.....

post-6680-0-84461200-1403044515.jpg

Well refreshed, the crewe have continued down to the Royal George to collect the empties. In real life, the Royal George was the name of the Down lye-bye sidings and the mill was called the Charlotte.....

post-6680-0-40392200-1403044517.jpg

It's a good job you got plenty of photographs of this before dismantling. I really don't know how you could dismantle such a masterful work of modelling and not just once, but twice!

This must be the best layout that's never made it to the magazines… and it's a crying shame that the headline "This month's top layouts include Greenfield…" will never feature :)

Like everyone else, I'm really enjoying the photographs, and it's especially lovely that it's an area of the country that I grew up in. I was having a discussion with my Dad last night about Clegg St station which is in This months Railway Modeller apparently. There were FIVE railway stations in Oldham at one point, and now, not one - it's one of the few major English towns that's not connected to the main railway network - Yes they've now got the tram running through the old Mumps station site, but it's not the same

I was pleased to be asked to supply the photos for that article on the OA&GB line in RM seeing as my good friend Brian Green (who owns the negs) was not able to assist.  I was fortunate to have known Oldhams five stations, although i use the word fortunate figuratively, as I hated living in Oldham. At least it's railways gave it a charm up to 1955. But the town is on a hill and all the railways had difficulties getting up there. Once industrial decline set in, the town was doomed as far as railways were concerned. It simply wasn't on the TransPennine link, nor was it convenient to deflect some of the main Lancs-Yorks services via the tenuous Park Bridge and Lees branches. 

It doesnt matter if the layout is demolished now. I have more than enough photos of the layout to do an article and indeed three editors have shown interest. But summer is not the time to sit indoors writing and burning 300dpi tiffs on CD's. What it doesn't have is signals, simply because I stopped construction.

It's a good job you got plenty of photographs of this before dismantling. I really don't know how you could dismantle such a masterful work of modelling and not just once, but twice!

This must be the best layout that's never made it to the magazines… and it's a crying shame that the headline "This month's top layouts include Greenfield…" will never feature :)

Like everyone else, I'm really enjoying the photographs, and it's especially lovely that it's an area of the country that I grew up in. I was having a discussion with my Dad last night about Clegg St station which is in This months Railway Modeller apparently. There were FIVE railway stations in Oldham at one point, and now, not one - it's one of the few major English towns that's not connected to the main railway network - Yes they've now got the tram running through the old Mumps station site, but it's not the same

The trams don't even do that now, street running is the order of the day.

Larry,

Am enjoying seeing your photos and informative captions very much. Shame the layout is coming/has come to an end - all that work! Still, Delph Junction/Moorgate will be a grand place to watch the trains go by.

I wouldn't make the new boards too low or you'll have to crawl in on hands and knees and it won't look right when standing. Why not just get a higher chair?

Cheers,

Dave.

Fellow member PGH came round today to see the layout before its demise and had a play even though it was 100 degrees even with the door open and the lid off the tunnels. A spider came belting out of one of the 'tunnels' no doubt spooked by the Austin Seven, but he got deaded. Dismantling has already started as the 'era' creeps beyond 1953 into late 1954.... Pictures to follow. I'm not repainting that lone Gresley...It looks rather neat in maroon. I always did like this livery. Anyway the new layout will likely be 1956-ish as there are no defining landmark alterations to contend with like there were at Greenfield. If I can capture the location, it should look familiar to anyone visiting the area today. The actual trains rather than buildings will help define the period.

Ah yes, a sad day indeed.  As I watched possibly the last train from Greenfield disappear into the distance (through the hole in the shed wall actually) the demon layout wrecker builder stood poised with axe in hand  :butcher: (saw actually, but axe sounds more dramatic) ready to wreak havoc on the scene before me.

Still I can look forward to seeing the next reincarnation - about the end of next week ? 

Now who was it I wonder who said many years (and layouts !) ago - I'm not interested in building a layout I just want to get it over and done with so I can watch the trains going round.  :scratchhead:

Larry,

Am enjoying seeing your photos and informative captions very much. Shame the layout is coming/has come to an end - all that work! Still, Delph Junction/Moorgate will be a grand place to watch the trains go by.

I wouldn't make the new boards too low or you'll have to crawl in on hands and knees and it won't look right when standing. Why not just get a higher chair?

Cheers,

Dave.

Hi Dave. There is more to lowering the layout than to avoid getting direct sunlight on the storage sidings.  I think Moorgate will be a good place to watch trains go by and, like you, I will turn a blind eye to the Delph trains finishing in 1955. Moorgate Halt will be a small affair so that it doesn't overshadow everything else like Greenfield did.

Ah yes, a sad day indeed.  As I watched possibly the last train from Greenfield disappear into the distance (through the hole in the shed wall actually) the demon layout wrecker builder stood poised with axe in hand  :butcher: (saw actually, but axe sounds more dramatic) ready to wreak havoc on the scene before me.

Still I can look forward to seeing the next reincarnation - about the end of next week ? 

Now who was it I wonder who said many years (and layouts !) ago - I'm not interested in building a layout I just want to get it over and done with so I can watch the trains going round.  :scratchhead:

PHG will have "fond" memories of the last axe session cos' he wus there! Another friend, ex of Northstar, called by to see what was going on and found the layout in bite size chunks against the wall. But at least this time I don't have to build a new baseboard frame.

This is the loco I would like to see from Bachmann, a push-pull fitted BR Standard Class 2 2-6-2T. Those who already have the LMS Ivatt version might buy an upgraded version but the BR Std. version would be new a new market to everyone. Lees 26F got two Ivatts and two BR Std's in 1954, but the service they were drafted in to work was withdrawn nine months later.....

post-6680-0-51256400-1403102814.jpg

New coaches have been built for the rush-hour Stockport train. Ideally the loco should be the smaller Fowler 2-6-2T provided by Lees shed, but I have to make do with a 2-6-4T. Pictured in the Oldham bay......

attachicon.gifWEB Trains 62.jpg

If this platform looks somehow different, it is because it is 1954 and the BR had removed the dilapidated canopy. Oldham Central lost its footbridge at around the same time.....

attachicon.gifWEB Trains 63.jpg

The train is an ex LNWR non-corridor set to D283 and D333 built around WWI with slender buffers... (the roof had not been put on properly)....

attachicon.gifWEB Trains 64.jpg

Just scanning through the last few posts of Greenfield as we know it and my immediate reaction to those 2 coaches was Mick Bryan had turned you onto Network Rail 'yellow'...!

Actually went through Greenfield yesterday, to Leeds and back. The 4mm version knocks spots off the real one, the branch to McArdles, the signal box, the goods shed. Even the mainline out under the bridge towards Yorkshire curves the wrong way in real life.

Looking forward to watching progress with whatever you've got up your sleeve next.

Ian

I shot through Greenfield today, nice sunny day on a nice First transpennine express, sat on one side going and the other side coming back to get a quick look at Greenfield as Ive never been on the route although ive always been interested in the route having lots of steam era videos of the line. Looks a nice station still.

Will be going through again next month although this time hauled by A4 Union of South Africa.

Actually went through Greenfield yesterday, to Leeds and back. The 4mm version knocks spots off the real one, the branch to McArdles, the signal box, the goods shed. Even the mainline out under the bridge towards Yorkshire curves the wrong way in real life.

Fear not my friend, on the next layout the mainline will curve to the left the right way. 

I shot through Greenfield today, nice sunny day on a nice First transpennine express, sat on one side going and the other side coming back to get a quick look at Greenfield as Ive never been on the route although ive always been interested in the route having lots of steam era videos of the line. Looks a nice station still.

Will be going through again next month although this time hauled by A4 Union of South Africa.

What date and time Michael? I'd like to see that.

In 1955 the Oldham Loop line is added to the list of lines planned for conversion to DMU operation from 1958. The North West Transport Users Consultative Committee had asked that DMU's be put on the Oldham-Delph branch but BR would have nothing of it. And so the committee submitted ideas that might stem the £28,000 a year losses. To their surprise BR agreed. Greenfield would lose it terminal facilities and instead, trains would go to Diggle to reverse (much as they do to this day), although Saddleworth Station would be served by Up and Down trains. This in itself allowed the good folk living east of Uppermill direct access to the West Coast services at Stockport, while Delph was connected to the Stalybridge and Guide Bridge service operated by the Eastern Region. Under the new 1955 summer timetable, all trains that previously terminated in Greenfield either reversed in Diggle or were added to the Delph service, which were reprieved until 1959, and the Oldham Bay at Greenfield lost its rail connection. 

And so it is now 1957 and brake vans, with their easy access, were being increasingly requested on branchline tours. BR was only too pleased seeing as many unfitted vans were readily available, but these were pioneer days!  Lees's Stanier 'big tank'  2-6-4T was used and the special started out from Oldham Road Goods Depot in Manchester, pictured here approaching Greenfield.......

post-6680-0-17560500-1403204627.jpg

.........And passing the disused Oldham platform....

post-6680-0-72289800-1403204629.jpg

The brakevan special halted in the down main platform before propelling the vans over the crossover direct into the goods yard.....

post-6680-0-08660100-1403204631.jpg

There was some concern over buffer locking seeing as the Stanier Tanks did not usually traverse this line, but the train reached the Royal George Mill without mishap.....

post-6680-0-95561000-1403204631.jpg

While the train laid over, the boys took advantage of a photo opportunity from the lane below....

post-6680-0-61849400-1403204633.jpg

To be continued...

This one is for first generation diesel afficianos.....

Were the Derby Sulzer Type 2's (class 24's) ever given the two-tone livery as carried from around 1964 by some of the flush-sided class 25's? I checked my Haresnape books and came up with now't....

• RMweb Premium

Were the Derby Sulzer Type 2's (class 24's) ever given the two-tone livery as carried from around 1964 by some of the flush-sided class 25's? I checked my Haresnape books and came up with now't....

Try this page Larry: http://www.derbysulzers.com/5053.html

Love the pics...

David

• RMweb Premium

D5005, D5037, D5038, D5040 & D5053 any use - confirmed by photos in my database?

(If these aren't Class 24s, ignore me - all this TOPS-speak goes over my head).

Regards

John Isherwood.

Larry,

Although rather sad I am really enjoying these pics charting the declining final years of Greenfield (minor) - a great idea and thanks for the images.

Thanks Mike. Wearing my photographers hat has been fun. I could really do with one of those compact Canon's that Andy Y and Gilbert uses to poke into corners and obtain track level shots.

Quite a lot of planning is going into the next layout. It will be simple but that is only a by-product of the chosen location. "Simplicity" for it's own sake isn't the object, as everything on Greenfield runs perfectly over all the pointwork and slips and the electrics work well (surprised me!). But unfortunately, Greenfield had to be completed before I realised it was not what I wanted. Serves me right for not wiring it earlier. The new layout will be wired immediately the track is down.

The only question remaining, having settled everything else is, which three points and diamond to adopt. The Peco Code 75 Insulfrog diamond is notorious in my book for stalling locos on the dead bits. If I adopt the Peco Electrofrog diamond or handbuilt points and diamond, someone is going to have to sort out the wiring 'cos it's beyond my understanding. PGH......Help!   :O

Thanks David Grafarman and John cctransuk. I didn't realise any 24's were done let alone more than one. I photographed some new 25's in the two-tone livery in 1965 but that was all. The model is D5085, which is not on your respective lists. It was loaned to me yesterday and a sat watching it go round last night for ages. The models of diesel locos definitely interest me.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike. Wearing my photographers hat has been fun. I could really do with one of those compact Canon's that Andy Y and Gilbert uses to poke into corners and obtain track level shots.

Quite a lot of planning is going into the next layout. It will be simple but that is only a by-product of the chosen location. "Simplicity" for it's own sake isn't the object, as everything on Greenfield runs perfectly over all the pointwork and slips and the electrics work well (surprised me!). But unfortunately, Greenfield had to be completed before I realised it was not what I wanted. Serves me right for not wiring it earlier. The new layout will be wired immediately the track is down.

The only question remaining, having settled everything else is, which three points and diamond to adopt. The Peco Code 75 Insulfrog diamond is notorious in my book for stalling locos on the dead bits. If I adopt the Peco Electrofrog diamond or handbuilt points and diamond, someone is going to have to sort out the wiring 'cos it's beyond my understanding. PGH......Help!   :O

The wiring shouldn't be too difficult - it's all a matter of working out (on a sketch is best) which rail is the positive, which is the negative, and which bits have to switch from one to the other.  Then work out which bits are affected by whichever route is set through them so might require switching from two different sources.  The latter is helped, I think, by understanding a bit (only a bit) about interlocking because that in turn will rule out setting conflicting movements which rules out having to account for them in the wiring.

Does that make sense?

Archived