coachmann

My Goodness!

This thread has been one of the most enlightening I have ever read about railway modelling!

I came upon it last night after SWMBO went to sleep and I have just completed the whole extraordinary switchback ride - it well beats the Bobs at Belle Vue.

I've learnt a huge amount......

Thank you so much.

dh

Coachman

It may be you answered this on another thread, but with your coaches,do you put the handrails, handles, door catches etc on before you paint the coach or after, and if after, how do you get the paint off them?

Phil

Coachman

It may be you answered this on another thread, but with your coaches,do you put the handrails, handles, door catches etc on before you paint the coach or after, and if after, how do you get the paint off them?

Phil

Handles are almost always put on during construction before painting. The only time I differed was when building Thompson corridor brake thirds as it was easier to paint and line the coaches without having to dodge round handles. I resprayed such a coach today and the handles were a nuisance to line around. Paint is removed with a craft knife.

Hi Larry, just popped in for a quick catch up by looking at the pics, and was dismayed to see some track lifted and talk of it all going, its WONDERFUL, MARVELOUS, FANTASTIC, SUPERB, BRILLIANT, so why dismantle it all so soon?

Don't answer that I will go back and try to read the reasons, hahah

All the best and please keep the pics coming in.

Cheers.

Hi Larry, just popped in for a quick catch up by looking at the pics, and was dismayed to see some track lifted and talk of it all going, its WONDERFUL, MARVELOUS, FANTASTIC, SUPERB, BRILLIANT, so why dismantle it all so soon?

Don't answer that I will go back and try to read the reasons, hahah

All the best and please keep the pics coming in.

Cheers.

It had to be built and almost finished to discover Greenfield wasn't what i envisaged or wanted. At least I learned some crafts along the way. Knocking wagons about in a yard does not appeal to me so thats out. Because the date has changed from 1953-4 to 1957-8, the balance is being altered commencing with the coaches.

Larry,

I particularly liked the shots of the ex.LNWR M52 50' Toplight driving trailer. Whilst I am a GWR man I have a liking for autocoaches of all of the big 4.

Looking at the quality model you have there I really get the feel of what they were like in the flesh, lets face it the coaches of this period had some real character.

Superb modelling!

Dave.

I have to agree about the character of early BR days Dave with the multitude of inherited coaches. Whether it's something to do with my creeping years or whether I have become disenchanted with early BR or not I don't know. But I am finding myself more attracted to the later 1950's and have been for some time. It is this period I was most familiar with through having started work and commuted into Manchester six days a week. Although maroon by no means ruled, it was nostalgic seeing as it was really a return to LMS colours that I saw as a boy.

Agree with you about the maroon coaches. When I bought the stock for Danemouth I purchased rakes of both B & C and Maroon, but over time the B & C hardly ever come out of their boxes as I now prefer maroon, and the do look nice with green diesels.

Regards,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

The maroon (and chocolate & cream for some of us) came as a very noticeable break from what seemed a dreary and increasingly 'dead' look which seemed to hang around blood & custard stock.  Maybe it didn't help living somewhere that had carriage sidings into which were tipped around 50-60 vehicles for a big part of the year and which just sat there getting ever muckier in the weather but for some reason the livery change was rather refreshing.

Sadly I don't think the same could be said about the arrival of the 'blue period', particularly the unrelieved spray painted blue finish on so many vehicles of lower than top flight stock.

The balance has been well and truly skewed today because so many preserved branchlines equate chocolate & cream Mk.I's with nostalgia when the reality for most of us in steam days was we never saw them unless on hols in the right place. 

• RMweb Premium

No that's Mike Edges' "other" layout ... I just help him play with it and provide the odd bit of stock...  a view under the umbrella at Watford Show..

post-7650-0-11157200-1404724018.jpg

I have knocked out some CLC coaches for the layout in dirty brown plus one of the LMS corridor PI coaches rebuilt in 1947 with the corridor connections blanked off as a CLC rake.. these GC coaches may be in keeping with the pre LOR closure period the layout now operates in.. 

and a shot into Brunswick shed..

post-7650-0-09116000-1404724336.jpg

Time to get Mike to do  layout topics on this and Carlisle

Baz

No that's Mike Edges' "other" layout ... I just help him play with it and provide the odd bit of stock...

Time to get Mike to do  layout topics on this and Carlisle

Baz

I remember being taken completely by surprise when seeing Herculaneum Dock at Warley some years ago. An exquisite recreation of a highly distinctive prototype - all power to your elbow with the campaign for a layout topic on here, Barry. :superman:

Oops - sorry for the thread invasion, Coach :punish:

• RMweb Premium

Interesting Larry, I like the idea of the adapter sitting ontop of the bogie and pivoting on the bolster pin.

Have you though about closing the gap up between the coaches as well, or does the tightness of your track prevent this?

What material are the bogies made of, as the sides don't seem to be as smooth as w/metal ones....

Cheers

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

An alternative might be to use an F shaped 'hook', where the bar sits between the two legs, so both the pushing and pulling action is by the hook and not the buffers or corridor connection.

Larry,  - are your coaches shown in the last but one pic actually a scale distance apart, or do you need to scrap the Bachmann couplings to achieve that?

I wouldn't think they were scale distance apart. Real coaches are screwed up with buffers touching but then they don't have to negotiate the equivalent of 27 inch radius curves ha ha. They could take some pushing closer together I suppose, in fact some of my coaches have the leading edge of the Bachmann loop in line with the buffers, but I dare not let them get together or else they'll derail on the first loop. Once I build the next layout and put together some fixed formations, I'll take a more scientific look at the Bachmann couplings to see where they can be pushed back a little.

• RMweb Gold

Greenfield's latest new toy, a Bachmann 'Porthole' composite (with some mods). I doubt the glazing will come out so thats put paid to repainting any in BR maroon... :unsure:

That's a shame.

I've ordered one B/C all 3rd to have a look at but as I would want more maroon coaches I was hoping they might be fairly straight forward to repaint.

Never mind, I'll just have to wait for the maroon issue.

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't think they were scale distance apart. Real coaches are screwed up with buffers touching but then they don't have to negotiate the equivalent of 27 inch radius curves ha ha. They could take some pushing closer together I suppose, in fact some of my coaches have the leading edge of the Bachmann loop in line with the buffers, but I dare not let them get together or else they'll derail on the first loop. Once I build the next layout and put together some fixed formations, I'll take a more scientific look at the Bachmann couplings to see where they can be pushed back a little.

Quick question; do you use proprietary concertina corridor connections or make your own?  I have a few to do on an upcoming 00 project and having used black paper in N gauge I was wondering if something similar was in order or if there was a better solution...

Thanks

David

Archived