coachmann

Those were the days, when one coach would suffice for a railtour!

Those too were the days when everything we had taken for granted since birth was slowly ebbing away. I had my last ride on the Delph donkey in that coach one hot Saturday in 1955 little knowing it would cease running a week or two later.  :cray_mini:

Larry, it occurs to me that you could leave Greenfield, build your open line/junction where the fiddle yard is at present with a branch leading to a FY underneath. You could use Greenfield to reverse trains to send them back to the FY.  Just seems such a shame to condemn Greenfield to such  a short life.

Ed

Larry, it occurs to me that you could leave Greenfield, build your open line/junction where the fiddle yard is at present with a branch leading to a FY underneath. You could use Greenfield to reverse trains to send them back to the FY.  Just seems such a shame to condemn Greenfield to such  a short life.

Ed

It isn't what I thought it would be unfortunately, and incidentally I dislike inclines.  I've tried the various operating potentials and they leave me cold.I suppose I'm not really a player of trains.........More your lineside train watcher.  Sitting in a deckchair watching trains going round the garden was the original concept, then a shed was added and 50 years of latent ideas started taking over. Greenfield station has been an adjunct since it was built.

So now I know what I don't want, it is easier to work out what I do want next time.  A stretch of line where I can watch trains plus a branch for when I feel like operating will do me nicely. It could probably be built and scenic'd in a week, but there is no hurry. I am glad people asked to see pictures of trains as they are taking my mind off the big saw!   :sarcastic:

• RMweb Gold

Ed

In Larry's shed the gradients would be too severe for a double-decked layout, only the shortest trains would be able to climb them, causing Larry even more frustration

It is 9pm and while folk at home are listening to Henry Hall on the BBC radio North Home Service, or enjoying a pint or two over dominoes in the local, a general merchandise trains is making its way over the Pennines. The train is unfitted of course and reshuffling the wagons makes no difference when a Fowler 'Austin Seven' is up front. The guard will have his work cut out on this trip!

[+ photties!]

What a grand trainspotting experience! Sitting by the lineside on a pleasant day, watching a stream of interesting trains to the accompaniment of an informed commentary. To borrow a line from a John Conelly song, you "brought me back the childhood land of summers long ago", Coach! 

Larry - at the point you're tempted to get the saw out, please give me a call - Greenfield as is would make a perfect station for the Waverley Route which I', planning as you know!

I am sure anyone could replicate the track layout. The vinyl hillsides can be used on the next layout, as the material is easily remoulded with a heat gun...........It is actually easier than working with brand new material. So in reality there isn't much of Greenfield to dispose of apart from the station building and a few overbridges (not the one across the station).

It is simpler for me to remove the plywood base, put in a new front 3" X 1" x 14' runner and start afresh with a new plywood top on a narrower baseboard. I will also lower it all by 3" to protect models in front of the windows and to make the layout viewable when I'm sat down.

I'm back working for a crust at the mo and so the enforced break only makes the prospect of a new layout even sweeter. I am very short of modern L M Region coaches to make up the top expresses and so some building for myself is on the cards as well. There is even a weathered Garratt on pre-order..........I don't think I would have bothered had it not been for the images on RMweb.. ...But Bacup, Llanbourne and Peterborough haven't got one!   :whistle:

Absoloutly loving the latest pictures from Greenfield, the whole layout just oozzes realism through its modeling. The LNWR motor coachs stand out for me, just beautiful, though they would look better in full LNWR livery ;)

More pictures please Larry until such time as the big saw appears, although one thing you could possibly do is a sealed bids chairty auction for Greenfield, seems a shame for it to be cut up after so much work has gone into it......

Looks like an ex-L&Y van at the head of the double headed goods train. Also interested in the 12 wheel ex-GC push and pull coach. Someone kindly gave me the equivalent in 7mm scale; it just needs restoration. An amazing bit of kit, and just the job for a branch line. A nice change from the stereotypical GWR version anyway. By the way, I have seen a photo of a JII hauling one of these with an ordinary coach - I believe it was Sunday service on the Glossop line when the C13s were having their wash-out, or whatever regular maintenance it was. So you do have another option.

Greenfield looks great - but if it doesn't do what its owner requires, it's the right decision to replace it. No doubt the new layout will be of equal quality.

Looks like an ex-L&Y van at the head of the double headed goods train. It is...A David Geen kit I think.  Also interested in the 12 wheel ex-GC push and pull coach. Someone kindly gave me the equivalent in 7mm scale; it just needs restoration. An amazing bit of kit, and just the job for a branch line. A nice change from the stereotypical GWR version anyway. By the way, I have seen a photo of a JII hauling one of these with an ordinary coach - I believe it was Sunday service on the Glossop line when the C13s were having their wash-out, or whatever regular maintenance it was. So you do have another option. I agree. I have a photo of one coupled in between Mk.I corridor stock at Sheffield with passenger on board so it was on the mainline! 

Greenfield looks great - but if it doesn't do what its owner requires, it's the right decision to replace it. No doubt the new layout will be of equal quality. Thanks.

Absoloutly loving the latest pictures from Greenfield, the whole layout just oozzes realism through its modeling. The LNWR motor coachs stand out for me, just beautiful, though they would look better in full LNWR livery ;)

More pictures please Larry until such time as the big saw appears, although one thing you could possibly do is a sealed bids chairty auction for Greenfield, seems a shame for it to be cut up after so much work has gone into it......

As you know, big saws come easy to me. It is often much easier to remove everything and store it (track is ruined of course). This makes building a Mk.II or whatever version easier and quicker. But this time is different, as none of the buildings will be needed. For the new layout a new all-timber station (halt) will have to be constructed along with a few stout stone bridge abutment walls to represent under passes and a short stretch of viaduct. Fortunately I have a Skaledale LNWR signalbox but I cannot bring myself to dispose of the Greenfield box.

Wow, superb pics Larry and the layout is actually still here after I've been away for nearly a week, thank goodness.

I trust you enjoyed your break Dave. The layout was saved by the fact that it is time to get some customer-work done. If I were honest, I am champing at the bit to get started on the new layout while the weather is great for working outdoors. Instead, I'm sat in the garden watching the grass grow while waiting for paint to dry!  :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

I trust you enjoyed your break Dave  Mike. The layout was saved by the fact that it is time to get some customer-work done. If I were honest, I am champing at the bit to get started on the new layout while the weather is great for working outdoors. Instead, I'm sat in the garden watching the grass grow while waiting for paint to dry!  :sungum:

We were enjoying it quite a lot although when our ship had to help with a couple of unconscious divers (who were in fact probably dead) on Saturday it took away a bit of liveliness for a while and getting a message on Sunday that our son had been rushed to a cardiac unit meant we had to rush home - once we could get back ashore that is - however he was released from hospital yesterday and seems to be quite bouncy although on various medication for some time to come.

But you don't often get to see one of these (in the middle of the English Channel in this case) up close and from this angle -

post-6859-0-45222000-1403026109_thumb.jpg

(sorry to pinch space on your thread)

Archived