coachmann

Quick question; do you use proprietary concertina corridor connections or make your own?  I have a few to do on an upcoming 00 project and having used black paper in N gauge I was wondering if something similar was in order or if there was a better solution...

Thanks

David

Modellers Mecca make mine to a design I sent. They are listed as type 'LG' (4mm scale) and are scale width. They are not forced off-centre by the steps on brake ended coaches.

The LMS port hole stock & the hawksworths have to be my favourite carriage designs

I agree they are neat designs and it is pretty handy they are done by Bachmann and Hornby. I wonder if people have really studied the amount of detail carried by the RTR coaches. The Hawksworth is particularly good in this department.

The 'neat touch' droplight was forced on me. I usually repeat the original number when doing resprays so this one slipped through!

More resprays for Greenfeld Mk.V or whatever it will be called. I got busy yesterday and managed a handful although the Gresley Restaurant Car was a lot more time-consuming and only got finished this morning. This is the sole BR Mk.I on my layout (to date) with Comet brass sides and used in the Eastern Region Liverpool-Newcastle set....

post-6680-0-93602900-1405341915_thumb.jpg

A Gresley end door brake third (Bill Bedford sides).....

post-6680-0-36004100-1405341917_thumb.jpg

If I have one favourite coach it is this one, an elderly ex GNR brake composite, and not one I would build or glaze again! Slightly weathered.....

post-6680-0-69166800-1405341918_thumb.jpg

The Gresley 1920's Kitchen Dining Car. The cream on this was too light so the body was carefully removed and the glazing stripped out before giving it a complete respray in my 'Bachmann' colours. The opportunity was taken to correct a mistake and paint the seats and curtains green...

post-6680-0-94860800-1405341920_thumb.jpg

When built a few years ago, I assumed the first class interior would be blue...as you do.....

post-6680-0-90390700-1405341919_thumb.jpg

And finally another ex GWR coach, a 1930-built high window brake composite for the West of England excursion from Greenfield.....

post-6680-0-43783000-1405341922_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Coach, have you though of the 'looking through some trees and other things' approach using a shoulder level(ish) set up (like Albion Yard but bigger)?

No very good for exhibitions but fine for home use. I have not seen many layouts where the viewer is actually looking across/up to see trains, only posed shots of lovely coaches like yours. This could be an interesting approach which would show off the stock but mean 'distance' scenery can be kept really simple, with the foreground embankment and area being whatever you want really. Could be urban or rural.

Phil

Larry,

What lettering are you using, and do you varnish the coaches afterwards to stop them coming off?

I have always used PC Models/HMRS 'Methfix' transfers. Customer coaches are varnished to protect them and tone down the gloss paint I use. For my own stock I do not varnish the matt colours and the transfers stick like glue. I know this from trying to remove them last week when a coach was the wrong colour!

Mallard60022, Various options are running through the old cranium at the mo, although the appearance of an extended diorama looking up an embankment at trains does appeal enormously.

Larry,

I'm thinking of building a layout based on the Standedge route. I wonder if you know how the two pairs of tracks were used in steam (c1958) days? From the photos I've seen it seems  that the southernmost were for goods and stopping passenger and the northernmost for express passenger. Is that correct or was there variation?

Also, if you can point me to any useful publications on this route I'd be very grateful.

Thanks for all your inspiration,

Ian

Larry,

I'm thinking of building a layout based on the Standedge route. I wonder if you know how the two pairs of tracks were used in steam (c1958) days? From the photos I've seen it seems  that the southernmost were for goods and stopping passenger and the northernmost for express passenger. Is that correct or was there variation?

Also, if you can point me to any useful publications on this route I'd be very grateful.

Thanks for all your inspiration,

Ian

I never studied how the tracks were utilised Ian. They were merely paired Up and Down tracks and the stations were rebuilt on the Diggle-Huddersfield section to suit. But the tracks were split down to Stalybridge. Trains from the original Greenfield route and those over the Micklehurst Loop line could be crossed over at Diggle in either direction. It was important that stopping passenger trains were put onto tracks serving Greenfield and Mossley at Diggle. Much freight went via Micklehurst and the timetabled expresses generally hammered up through Greenfield on the old route. Non-stopping extras used either route from Stalybridge. When I worked the Oldham Clegg Street- Mirfield parcels job, we were diverted at Diggle onto the old tracks via the single-bore tunnels, so maybe there was a general ruling or maybe there was another reason.

Books covering the route or part of the route are:-

Miles Platting to Diggle (via Ashton) by Jeffrey Wells (Challenger Publications).

Delph to Oldham by myself and Jeffrey (Foxline Publications/Booklaw)

Pennine Steam by Field and Stephenson (Ian Allan Ltd)

The Leeds Huddersfield & Manchester Railway by Martin Bairstow Publications.

I never studied how the tracks were utilised Ian. They were merely paired Up and Down tracks and the stations were rebuilt on the Diggle-Huddersfield section to suit. But the tracks were split down to Stalybridge. Trains from the original Greenfield route and those over the Micklehurst Loop line could be crossed over at Diggle in either direction. It was important that stopping passenger trains were put onto tracks serving Greenfield and Mossley at Diggle. Much freight went via Micklehurst and the timetabled expresses generally hammered up through Greenfield on the old route. Non-stopping extras used either route from Stalybridge. When I worked the Oldham Clegg Street- Mirfield parcels job, we were diverted at Diggle onto the old tracks via the single-bore tunnels, so maybe there was a general ruling or maybe there was another reason.

Books covering the route or part of the route are:-

Miles Platting to Diggle (via Ashton) by Jeffrey Wells (Challenger Publications).

Delph to Oldham by myself and Jeffrey (Foxline Publications/Booklaw)

Pennine Steam by Field and Stephenson (Ian Allan Ltd)

The Leeds Huddersfield & Manchester Railway by Martin Bairstow Publications.

Many thanks, Larry.

At some time or other I have had all these in my library but unfortunately it tends to be a not very well organised public library and books get lent and never returned! 

Another Amazon expedition is called for!

Ian

• RMweb Gold

All I would say Coach is that every time in the past you have laid down Peco you have then had the urge to rip it all up and replace with C&L.

Could history repeat itself here? Might be worth the extra effort up front to lay C&L?

All I would say Coach is that every time in the past you have laid down Peco you have then had the urge to rip it all up and replace with C&L.

Could history repeat itself here? Might be worth the extra effort up front to lay C&L?

Don't listen to him, Coach! Us Peco-Niños don't want to lose you!

Archived