coachmann

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike. Wearing my photographers hat has been fun. I could really do with one of those compact Canon's that Andy Y and Gilbert uses to poke into corners and obtain track level shots.

Quite a lot of planning is going into the next layout. It will be simple but that is only a by-product of the chosen location. "Simplicity" for it's own sake isn't the object, as everything on Greenfield runs perfectly over all the pointwork and slips and the electrics work well (surprised me!). But unfortunately, Greenfield had to be completed before I realised it was not what I wanted. Serves me right for not wiring it earlier. The new layout will be wired immediately the track is down.

The only question remaining, having settled everything else is, which three points and diamond to adopt. The Peco Code 75 Insulfrog diamond is notorious in my book for stalling locos on the dead bits. If I adopt the Peco Electrofrog diamond or handbuilt points and diamond, someone is going to have to sort out the wiring 'cos it's beyond my understanding. PGH......Help!   :O

Hi Larry,have a go at making your own. I'm sure somebody on here will do a Templot template for you if you cannot get your head around Templot that is. That way you can have it to your own requirements and not what Peco offers. I believe C&L's website has information on how to wire up turnouts

• RMweb Gold

The wiring shouldn't be too difficult - it's all a matter of working out (on a sketch is best) which rail is the positive, which is the negative, and which bits have to switch from one to the other.  Then work out which bits are affected by whichever route is set through them so might require switching from two different sources.  The latter is helped, I think, by understanding a bit (only a bit) about interlocking because that in turn will rule out setting conflicting movements which rules out having to account for them in the wiring.

Does that make sense?

The thing about live diamonds is that they need to isolated from all other track and fed separately via a change-over switch.

I've been using Peco point motors with the add on switch to flick the polarity as required, but only when I can't use a trusty H&M because they come with that ability built in. The Peco wiring diagrams for the three way point took a while to work out, but nice you get it in your head they're not difficult to do.

Thanks gents. Looks like I'll have point motors next time. There is a workaround that I've used many times before....... That of putting in an Insulfrog single slip in place of a diamond......Fewer plastic bits and locos never stall and a DPDT switch would ensure the Delph Branch could be operated from either the Up or Down controller

Some photos have come to light in a shoebox (no, not the one I was born in!).  Early morning at Greenfield in the late summer of 1956 and two photographers were on hand to record the surprise appearance of 71000 Duke of Gloucester bringing in the ECS for a Greenfield-Newquay relief....

post-6680-0-79770300-1403282562_thumb.jpg

The trackside pass was wasted on Ivor Ladder, somebodies stepson, who was always on the roof of something. These West of England summer/wakes workings were the province of the wealthy of Saddleworth and brought Western Region stock to the area.....

post-6680-0-23754600-1403282575.jpg

It was fortunate the North West had the equivalent of a Mike Longridge who energetically photographed carriages as well as locos. The leading coach is a GWR Hawksworth corridor Brake Composite (Comet sides on a Hornby donor).....

post-6680-0-72579600-1403282573.jpg

Next up is a late 1930's 'Sunshine' corridor Third. (Comet sides on scratch chassis)....

post-6680-0-43450100-1403282572.jpg

Another Hawksworth vehicle followed, this time a corridor Third, the number still at the LH end.....

post-6680-0-70846500-1403282570.jpg

Last but not least, a 1930-built high waist corridor brake composite (Comet sides with scratch chassis).....

post-6680-0-54920300-1403282569.jpg

The early morning sun is beginning to make itself felt as the train waits for the signal to proceed to Diggle to reverse....

post-6680-0-99214400-1403282567.jpg

The unique 8P 'Duke' is in as-built condition with its original Tender. Departure from Greenfield is imminent although it would be back within 15 minutes to pick up its suitcase-laden passengers....

post-6680-0-27843000-1403284514.jpg

The Duke only worked the train as far as Stockport, whereupon the four coaches were attached to the main train out of Manchester London Road. 71000 then presumably turned and worked back to Crewe with a local passenger.

Coachman

Great to see the enjoyment you are getting from the layout, with all the effort you have put in its worthwile. Not forgetting those of us who not only admire your layout building skills, but being able to see your wonderful coaches.

Thanks for all the pleasure you are giving us

The models of diesel locos definitely interest me.

Larry, STOP. That way lies the Dark Side. Now, take deep breath and say "belpaire, clack valves, reach rod, coal, notching up." There. Now come away, there`s nothing to see here.

Perhaps I am impressed because the diesel behaves and looks a miniature of the real thing. Maybe my subconscious is expecting steam and smoke with steam locos, who knows. We ran the Bachmann Class 24 and the Hornby DoG this afternoon, both of them very heavy locos and quite silent performers. 

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps I am impressed because the diesel behaves and looks a miniature of the real thing. Maybe my subconscious is expecting steam and smoke with steam locos, who knows. We ran the Bachmann Class 24 and the Hornby DoG this afternoon, both of them very heavy locos and quite silent performers. 

Coach, you gonna have to enter the 21st century and go DCC, that way your steam engines can sound like steam engines, my 3F sounds great. You'll need to get some more coaches made though to pay for it!!

If you dislike added affects, look away now....

Leeds United were playing Oldham Latics in 1964 but it would be touch and go if the spectators from Yorkshire got to the ground before kick-off. Fortunately, a Stanier 8F was on hand at Huddersfield to assist the ailing Class 24.  This Footex will be one of the last over the Oldham Branch before closure. Future White Rose supporters would go via the L&Y Calder Valley route and via Rochdale into Oldham....

post-6680-0-31284100-1403372969_thumb.jpg

The smoke, sky and seagulls are from over Abergele, drifted in over the natural painted backboards.

I trust you are feeling much better Andrew.....

Getting better by the Day thanks Larry, just looking at pics on here helps as reading is still difficult.

Cheers and keep the pics coming, there a recovery tonic, hahhah.

Hello, Coach.

I normally loathe most "'shopped" images, but the smoke from the 8F is so very convincing - blower on, injectors to follow? Or does the topography at Greenfield deny me that scenario?

Whatever, my rating is as much for the 'darkroom* dark arts' as the smashing modelling!

Cheers,

BR(W).

* metaphorical, of course.

It isn't always sunny in Greenfield! No sooner had this breakfast time thunderstorm receded down the valley towards Stalybridge than the sun momentarily broke cover and a Class 24 chugged through the deserted platforms with empty-stock in this mid 1960's view.....

post-6680-0-67187000-1403389191.jpg

Did you really wet the platform surfaces to get that wonderful effect Larry?

No. Some platform surfaces had been missed by the matt varnish spray and were quite reflective. I spotted this after taking the picture of the Class 24 and added a wee bit more computererilly after deciding it would be a thunderstorm picture.

x snip x

"I am fast running out of pictures and restructuring is equally fast approaching so this thread will close shortly."

x snip x

Encore!     Encore!     Encore!

Well, it works at concerts...

A hopeful,

BR(W).

Archived