Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Mk3 coach production

DapolDave

• RMweb Premium

I'm guessing that most Dapol Mk3s will end up in HST sets. If that is the case I wonder why they went for the loco hauled RFB rather than a HST TRUB or TRSB?

How many RFBs were there compared to TRUB or TRSB?

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Apart from twin packs, there are no buffered Mk3 stock in this production.

This was done to avoid potential (what is and what isn't buffered) problems.

The list published previously here is accurate for (apart for the twin packs) non buffered HST Mk3 coaches.

I'll worry about buffered versions for the next production runs after Chinese New Year, giving time for the HST ones to soak through the market.

If I didn't, you'd be stunned at the confusion buffered and non buffered stock make with the public and stockists alike.

Hope ths helps

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

Quick question regarding HST stock in original Virgin livery, these don't appear to feature in the 'immiment releases' list, though earlier in the thread it is inferred they will be produced at some point. Is their omission an oversight or are they not scheduled to be released in the near future ?

BR,

Andrew

Edited by kias

Eeeeek, I missed the virgin HST buffet from the list, sorry.

There are no Mk3 HST coaches in the current production batch, or the next I'm afraid.

Some will come though, but with CNY looking a bit strange staff wise in China, I wouldn't like to say when we can fit them into a production schedule.

Cheers

Dave

I'm guessing that most Dapol Mk3s will end up in HST sets. If that is the case I wonder why they went for the loco hauled RFB rather than a HST TRUB or TRSB?

How many RFBs were there compared to TRUB or TRSB?

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

They have not gone for the RFB but for a RFM/TRSB/TRUK hybrid.

The RFB is very similar to the TRUB/TRFB with three bays of seating. There were 28 RFBs and 58 TRUBs

The four seating bays types TRSB/TRUK/RFM are, in the main, similar. They are different but even I would struggle with differentiating them without reference to context and livery.

There were 28 TRSBs and 20 TRUKs built

58 RFMs were converted from TRUKs (12), FOs (18) and RFBs (28).

The Dapol hybrid is a better match for the ex TRUKs and ex RFBs, The corridor side of the FO conversions looks significantly and obviously different.

Given that Farish have only ever produced the TRFB/TRUB then going for a four window type is likely to be lead to more sales since those who want to have something which looks different to the GF model will buy them and those who don't mind will still purchase them.

Edited by Bomag

[if I didn't, you'd be stunned at the confusion buffered and non buffered stock make with the public and stockists alike.]

Dear Dave;

Very dismissive statement there...very unlike you these days.  I'll admit that I cannot speak for stockists but the general buying plebians (ie, your customers) are quite well read on these matters, judging from previous narrative on said subjects.

May I suggest that you publish your production list and allow your customers to add their 'gap' wishes as appropriate??

Looking forward to the buffet escapades (although I have previously stated my support for a single RFM moulding)....

Later..STU

Edited by Stu from EGDL

Dear Stu,

Very rude of you to call any modeller that hasn't got the technical knowledge you have 'plebeians' , as you would find, should you care to look, a 'broad church' of modelling knowledge out there in this regards.

Dapol will never take this rather poor view, but will, when we understand that we have inadvertently caused confusion, as we did with customers and stockists alike with the initial models of both types being released at the same time, endeavour to try and make customer purchases easier. I would hope that other modellers both on this forum and not, can see this.

I'm afraid that you do not have any idea of the amount of confusion buffered and non buffered MK3 coaches have caused in our initial releases. This has been problematical due to, as I'm sure you remember, there only being 'buffered MK3 coaches available from Farish previously (granted with the option to remove them if required).

This is a simple expedience to stop that, and I'm sure that most modellers can see this virtue and understand that we are trying to be helpful, not, as you quite wrongly allude, dismiss them as, as you poorly put it, 'plebeians'.

Our current production list has been published (see above), as buffered MK3 coaches have yet to be confirmed and ordered from China.

Not 'later' but regards

Dave

• Like 4

I have a fair number of spare buffered mk3 coaches. Can I just swap chassis with these and non buffered buffets or is there more to it?

Hallo,

Theoretically yes, the body will obviously have the same window pattern. however you will find that some livery variations will have 125 after the words Inter City which are of course referring to the HST.

...and to DapolDave, please forgive me if I am being too naive. An accurate production description avoids confusion. The description of the original 6 versions announced were for me very clear. Why did you not keep this format (coach / livery / buffers or not)? 

es gruesst

PC

Hi Dave;

With a product (ie the buffet coaches) some 3 years in the gestation, I would have thought a succint and clear listing of what is and isn't scheduled for production/release wouldn't have been too difficult.  Your previous listing does help but two differing stock numbering systems only clouds the issue further.

Personally, my depth of technical knowledge doesn't work here as I will use the Mk1 eyeball method of looking at what is in the box at a model shop or show to see what I want....I realise this is not possible for mail order customers.

I only want W&S and GC buffets anyway as Bachmann service my other Mk3 coach requirements. But that is my personal choice and I can live with that!!

Later;

STU from EGDL

i have recently purchased some mk3 intercity execuitve coaches for my swallow liveried HST. This is because i do not know if they are going to release the same ones in the swallow livery. I do know that the forthcoming buffet car will be in the swallow livery. As a young boy of 12 i can remeber seeing 125's coming into plymouth in the swallow livery with the old executive livery coaches making up the train formation. There are indeed many pictures of this. I bought these coaches just in case they do not release them and therfore i am short. Does anyone know if they are forthcoming ??? i guess they must be. Please advise.

Paul

Dear Stu,

Very rude of you to call any modeller that hasn't got the technical knowledge you have 'plebeians' , as you would find, should you care to look, a 'broad church' of modelling knowledge out there in this regards.

This is a simple expedience to stop that, and I'm sure that most modellers can see this virtue and understand that we are trying to be helpful, not, as you quite wrongly allude, dismiss them as, as you poorly put it, 'plebeians'.

Not 'later' but regards

Dave

Dave

I think you may be confusing 'plebeian' with the pejorative 'Plebs'. Given that stu said that the 'plebeians are quite well read on these matters' would, to me indicate that the usage is on the lines of its historical usage i.e. 'of the people' and would indicate that he may be suggestion that just because some customers or retailers the majority should not be considered as not able to tell the difference. On the other hand  Stu could be misusing the word.

• Like 2

Glad to see the Pretendolino buffet twin pack is on the way. I hop it does not arrive in the next 3 weeks as, although i have it on order, i will be on holiday and it would be just my luck to get home and find they are all sold out..

For Dapoldave - when are you expecting the pretendolino buffet twin packs to be in the shops?

Apart from twin packs, there are no buffered Mk3 stock in this production.

This was done to avoid potential (what is and what isn't buffered) problems.

The list published previously here is accurate for (apart for the twin packs) non buffered HST Mk3 coaches.

I'll worry about buffered versions for the next production runs after Chinese New Year, giving time for the HST ones to soak through the market.

If I didn't, you'd be stunned at the confusion buffered and non buffered stock make with the public and stockists alike.

Hope ths helps

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for that Dave. sorry if I opened a can of worms though..

That gives me some wallet recovery time before my loco hauled passengers get a catering upgrade.. :senile:

Looking forward to the 12 coaches on the list already!

Cheers

Mark

• 1 month later...

Hi DapolDave,

I've seen some websites listing the following FGW HST coaches:

2P-005-000 MkIII coach 1st Class 41103 'G' in First Great Western livery
   2P-005-001 MkIII coach 2nd Class 42083 'E' in First Great Western livery

Can I ask: are the 3 listed in your post quoted below in addition to, or instead of the 2 above? There are a few sites that have all 5 item numbers, so I was hoping to know what to expect from Dapol to figure out what to order... On the subject of what to order, do you know yet what letters the 3 FGW coaches below will carry?

Thanks.

Hi guys,

just starting to update this list, so at the time of posting its not definitive, but being very busy i'll come back ... and add to it...

cheers

Dave

HST non buffered coaches

2P-005-330  FGW 2nd class #42261

2P-005-331  FGW 2nd class #42280

2P-005-320  FGW 1st class #41133

• 2 weeks later...

DapolDave,

No doubt you'll now be giving some thought to BR(Sc) and ScotRail liveried Mk3s now that Bachmann/Farish have announced DBSOs and 47/7s?

Continuing that train of thought, in cases such as this, do Dapol see a noticeable bump in sales of, in this case, the 26/27 when another company releases other such iconic models that make a 80s ScR layout more attractive and more likely to move off the day dream drawing board to reality?

Angus

• Like 1

I am sure manufacturers can feed off one another's ranges Dapol's Souhern locos and Bulleid coaches from Farish. No doubt some MKIII.Scotrail coaches would help Farish with its sales of 47/7s but that would only work in that one livery and I doubt Dapol would chance.a range of loco hauled sc prefixed MKIIIs in blue grey which is a very narrow window.