A question about the Bachmann 85 for those not buying them

Guest jim s-w

247 members have voted

1. 1. For those NOT buying a Bachmann 85, why not?

• I am just not interested in them
    • I am interested but I dont want OHLE on my layout
    • I am interested but I want RTP OHLE to go with it
    • I have a different reason

Has no place in a layout based on ex-LYR/LMS/LMR outside 3rd electric area (Liverpool/Southport/Otmskirk).

Nice models tough . . .

Stan

Has no place in a layout based on ex-LYR/LMS/LMR outside 3rd electric area (Liverpool/Southport/Otmskirk).

Nice models though . . .

Stan

Guest Max Stafford

Jim, as a modeller of the last fifteen years of the Waverley Route, i'm sure a psychologist would have a wonderful time trying to figure out why I bought one of each!

Actually, I love electrics and I want to encourage the production of more, especially of this calibre!

And one other thing; I will run them, OHLE or not!

Dave.

Is the lack of OHLE really stopping people from buying this model?

Hi Jim

Myself and Mr Hanson discussed this very issue today. Brian is of the opinion that the 85 is a bit of a 'one off' as it were, and I can see his point. It is a little limited in it's scope, where as an 86/87/90 may have had a wider appeal. Certainly the lack range/ availiblity of Ready-to-Plonk OHLE it's going to help, but I really don't think it's a major obstacle. I'm inclinded to say perhaps the general modeling community need to see some more layouts featuring OHLE (in action), which will perhaps in turn spur more people on too give it a go.

I've obviously bought a couple of 85's, and plan on buying a couple more. With my period and area of interest being the WCML in 1974, and with 40 of the prototype the 85 will be a staple of my fleet. But a fair amount of work is invloved in back dating the 026 model. Unfortunatly Bachmann's timing hasn't helped with this release, and in my current situation as I'm perpairing to enter an Engineering Appensticeship in september, as well looking to complete my driving test/ continue taking driving lessions in August. All while my hours are being cut back at work. I've worked in the laundry industry for 8 years and this is the quitest summer I've ever wittnessed. (Having hours cut in January is one thing, but mid june/ july really shows what this combination of bad weather and recession is capable of doing).

I really would love to go out and buy 5 more 85's, but money is tight ATM, and so is modeling time when factored in with my working evenings (wittness how long it's taken me to get to this state since the model's release, and it's still no where near finished):post-6926-0-61870800-1341870265_thumb.jpg

The work isn't massively taxing, it's just a bit long winded. So with the current releases, I'm not in a huge hurry to model all 40 prototypes, and I'm inclinded to hang in for maybe an airbraked/ refurbed rail blue 85 with either E numbers or TOPS.

In short, I do hope this model sells at a steady place any maybe in time things will pick up for OHLE electric modeling. But I'm inclinded to say that untill we start seeing heavy discounts on these model's, there is no evidence that they are selling 'badly' st this stage, espically considering the current state of the economy.

Regards

Matt

• RMweb Gold

Yes I bought one Jim, but wouldn't buy OHLE as it would spoil the look of my hydraulics!

Bring on 81-84 (and a decent 86/87).

Strangely though I passed on the 76s although I loved the old girls, just too pricey.

Neil

Guest Max Stafford

Matt. Without wishing to blow smoke anywhere inappropriate, I really do hope the 85 becomes a steady seller as Bachmann took their time developing this model with the attendant risk and still they produced a model that in my opinion is one of their very best, and not just in terms of boldness.

Dave.

Matt. Without wishing to blow smoke anywhere inappropriate, I really do hope the 85 becomes a steady seller as Bachmann took their time developing this model with the attendant risk and still they produced a model that in my opinion is one of their very best, and not just in terms of boldness.

Dave.

Hi Dave

I completely agree, the problems with the model come down to only 4 things in my book;

The glazing (which EVERY RTR model suffers from, and which a nice set of laser cut inserts from Brian at shawplan would fix), this is a pretty subjective point too.

Mould seams (again, something every RTR offering has).

Sandbox fillers beeing a little proud (I think this is a fairly easy fix, sand them back and use some rivet detail decals. hardest job is going to be the repaint)

Brake actuators being a little undersized (fixable, and TBF probably by just a good paint/ weathering job).

I'll happily tout this as the best RTR modern image release to date. Which is very much why this is the probably going to be the first P4 model I'll very well finish! Even my desire to have fully sprung everything, is tamed by the stablity of the Bo-Bo chassis. So that can sit on the back burner for a while.

Regards

Matt

• RMweb Premium

Lovely models but they simply don't fit with my theme. I'm not currently in a position to simply collect display-only models simply because I like them so "Other reason" is the best fit for my vote.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

I completely agree, the problems with the model come down to only 4 things in my book;

The glazing (which EVERY RTR model suffers from, and which a nice set of laser cut inserts from Brian at shawplan would fix), this is a pretty subjective point too.

Mould seams (again, something every RTR offering has).

Sandbox fillers beeing a little proud (I think this is a fairly easy fix, sand them back and use some rivet detail decals. hardest job is going to be the repaint)

Brake actuators being a little undersized (fixable, and TBF probably by just a good paint/ weathering job).

I'll happily tout this as the best RTR modern image release to date. Which is very much why this is the probably going to be the first P4 model I'll very well finish! Even my desire to have fully sprung everything, is tamed by the stablity of the Bo-Bo chassis. So that can sit on the back burner for a while.

Regards

Matt

You missed out the box on the roof being only half the height it should be... (oh, and that it can't actually move, the brakes are moulded in the on position)

That said, I have got four of them sat here now.

Andi

I absolutely love the Bachmann 85s and have purchased two. I do not have OHLE (yet) and as I model the current era they don't fit in at all alongside my 60s and 66s, but the 85 is such a fine model how could one resist? The AL5 looks simply stunning in its 'Electric Blue' and makes a refreshing change to my usual EWS & Freightliner liveried purchases. I actually feel that it is healthy to own something outside of one's usual 'comfort zone', "variety being the spice etc..." and I'm looking forward to further detailing the AL5 for display and of course I'm sure I'll find an excuse to run it from time-to-time. :imsohappy:

All that said, the 85 was a curious choice for Bachmann when the more commonplace 86, 87, 90 & 92 would surely have proved to be stronger sellers? Clearly they didn't wish to replicate existing, albeit outdated models of the aforementioned types, but I still can't help feel that a super-detailed 86, 87 or 90 at least up to the fine standard of the 85 would still have been a much safer punt, especially with the multitude of liveries possible for each? There clearly must be a reasonable market for AC electrics, seeing that Hornby seem to churn out reliveried versions of their over-the-hill mouldings year-upon-year... :scratchhead:

Lovely models but they simply don't fit with my theme. I'm not currently in a position to simply collect display-only models simply because I like them so "Other reason" is the best fit for my vote.

Perfectly sums up my position too! I can use diesel types not common in my area as "infrequent visitors", but a blue electric just wouldn't be possible.

I looked at the 76, which is close to my area, but they too need ohle, and a complete history rewrite. I wonder how they are selling?

Cheers, Peter C.

Its a beautiful model - but I am reaching a saturation point - last year I would most likely have bought one..

But now - Simply too many fine models and not enough time... I am not getting any younger...

And all this great new stuff is about to appear like...

So I am forcing some kind of triage on my buying habits,

I will be buying one, just not yet.

I need to finish a barely started colliery railway first.

Though that has not stopped me buying some class 86, 87, and an old kit built 85.

So maybe next year, when I hope Bachmann will have done a TOPS with head code version, and so save me some work.

Guest jim s-w

Indeed so. It was mentioned as feedback from traders in the Hornby class 90 thread but with nothing to back it up

Jim, as a modeller of the last fifteen years of the Waverley Route, i'm sure a psychologist would have a wonderful time trying to figure out why I bought one of each!

Actually, I love electrics and I want to encourage the production of more, especially of this calibre!

And one other thing; I will run them, OHLE or not!

Dave.

Jings, crivvens...! For once I've exercised more self control than my fellow Waverlite!

Simple reason for me is that I don't model OHLE, and not into display case models.I guess the devil is in the detail when the comment is made "they aren't selling well" as to what this is compared against? If the trader in question is comparing against a Bachmann blue 37 its hardly surprising that they don't sell as many, and hardly a cause for concern, as Bachmann will have no doubt factored this in when they did the budget for producing the 85.

Archived