Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifIMG_9840.JPG

Of course, all of this has been 'times five'. Five bodies ready for painting.

attachicon.gifIMG_9841.JPG

Primer and roof colour being sprayed. For the full effect - come and see at the show (or wait for the post-show pictures)

Crikey! I made a tray like that when I was at primary school!

• Like 1

I’m really looking forward to seeing the Quint set at Wakefield. Glad you enjoyed the small details on the brakes. How far did you take the underframe detail?

Regards,

Frank

Likewise - I’m looking forward to seeing this set running at Wakey.

Jon

Wot? No fancy surface cleaner and etching primer? I'm shocked Mr Nicholas!

Well, it wouldn't do to bore the readership with every single detail of the process would it now? A picture of a bottle of CIF (the new(-ish) name for 'JIF') doesn't have a lot going for it :lazy:

• Like 1

I shall have a hunt around for that then ... when my bottle of CIF runs out ... in about 25 years time...

Meanwhile, the set has progressed to the orangey-brown stage. Teak staining to take place tomorrow, leaving just enough time for it to dry off before packing up in its box. It will therefore be anomius anynimuss ... un-numbered for the weekend.

Oh - and we're going to have a go at making the road system go (forgot to mention that earlier!)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, it wouldn't do to bore the readership with every single detail of the process would it now? A picture of a bottle of CIF (the new(-ish) name for 'JIF') doesn't have a lot going for it :lazy:

One advantage of coming across the channel is that I have been able to source Ajax powder which is my cleaner of choice, each to their own.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Ahhhhhhh now here is a question my dear friends, how do you clean the kit before primer? 

I use a mix of ways.

A toothbrush and Shiny sinks or Cif (any abrasive cleaner but being in Oz it's probably called  'Clean ye B'stard' ) and I also use washing up liquid. Whatever you do make sure it's well rinsed. 

I tend to clean after every soldering session.

• RMweb Premium

Still JIF in these parts.

• RMweb Premium

Ahhhhhhh now here is a question my dear friends, how do you clean the kit before primer? 

JIF (see above). I'd avoid washing-up liquid as the stuff in it that keeps our hands soft might stay on the surface. Use very hot water too, as hot as you can stand.

I've always thought Cif was a stupid and un-welcome change of name from Jif. Sounds just the same as if it were spelled syph. In the same way I've never once wanted to eat a Marathon bar since it was renamed to rhyme with knickers.

I seem to remember reading that Cif was an attempt to make the product more saleable in europe, I know that the original name would be pronounced as a guttural Hif in Spanish as thought you were clearing your throat.

Ah, the joys of having to protect foreigners from the perils of English product-name pronunciation.  I seem to remember hearing, many years ago, that a proposal by Rolls-Royce to name their next

new car the 'Silver Mist' had to be scrapped because it means something offensive in German.  No idea if that's true, mind you ...

I'm still baffled, though, as to why IF 'Marathon' had to be changed to avoid offending or confusing our beloved European partners, then it had of all things to become 'Snickers', which is a faintly unpleasant word in English even before you start dropping letters.

• Like 1

It's worth making sure you don't touch the model with your fingers after cleaning, as this puts back some grease even if you can't see it. I do the cleaning wearing cheap latex gloves, as used for example by a dentist, and also do any subsequent handling until the main coats of paint are finished wearing same. Might seem a bit OTT, but it's a lot better than the annoyance of paint not sticking properly and having to go back to square one! You can guess how I know this.

John.

• RMweb Premium

I seem to remember reading that Cif was an attempt to make the product more saleable in europe, I know that the original name would be pronounced as a guttural Hif in Spanish as thought you were clearing your throat.

It was changed because when blokes were sent shopping they kept buying plastic lemon shaped things instead of cleaner.

P

• RMweb Premium

So was the same man-shopping logic behind changing Marathon to Snickers? ;)

Because Mars who make Snickers called them Snickers in the USA and was to bring a British product inline with what they were selling in the USA. Nought to do with our continental friends, purely  a commercial move by Mars.