Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

• RMweb Gold

I'm afraid being shorthanded is my fault. My wife fell down the stairs and is in hospital so I could not be on duty at Fareham Hope it hasn't been too stressful for the rest of the team. 

Bazza

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Bazza said:

I'm afraid being shorthanded is my fault. My wife fell down the stairs and is in hospital so I could not be on duty at Fareham Hope it hasn't been too stressful for the rest of the team. 

Bazza

Wish her our best please Baz - it's a long while since she gave that important bit of assistance and support at just the right time.

• RMweb Premium

First time seeing the layout at Fareham.  Wow what an amazing exhibition layout! 

Firstly an excellent looking layout with lots passenger and goods operation.

And I have not seen a better operational layout...normally fully timetabled layouts don't have enough going on (IMO).  But this was great...lots happening all the time.  And I really enjoyed how all the moves were on the back of the flip charts so I knew what to look for.  I stood and watched the layout for over an hour which is unheard of for me.  Super stuff!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Bazza said:

Bazza

Very sorry to hear of your wife's accident Bazza and hope she soon recovers.

However you can't take all the blame as I also have a guilty conscience.  I had been looking forward to being a part of Team Grantham, and attending a show in a part of the country I don't often get to, but decided earlier in the week that I had to cry off, as I have an injured knee.  Instead of going to Fareham I went to the Doctor who diagnosed a 'meniscular tear' (I think).  Having spent last Sunday riding on the NYMR, which was mainly sitting down but left me in some pain by the end of the day, I didn't think I should commit to spending a weekend mainly on my feet.

I hope the weekend has been enjoyable and not too stressful for those who did make it!

• Friendly/supportive 9

1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

for a purpose which we have yet to discover.

'The Great Central in LNER Days' by Jackson and Russel has a chapter on the Highdyke workings and I seem to remember it mentioning that the J15s might have been brought in to be trialled on the branch alongside the more usual J3/4s as O4s were banned from going beyond the exchange sidings.

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, jwealleans said:

West Coast Kit Centre

I bought several kits from Alan Bunn over the years. The extra few quid for lathe-turned Romfords and gearboxes ready-mounted on the motors was money well spent. In fact, I've still got a Nu-Cast 2021 waiting to be built. When I do so I'll certainly be following @Barry Ten Al's hints and tips above.

• Like 1

No problem, or inconvenience, Jeff.  They just came as a surprise when they appeared there.  

Saturday morning fairly early?   Not long after we managed to get the layout working, then, all the points and signals having failed at five to ten just as we started running.   In the top picture Tom has just drawn the goods out of the lie-by, but more interestingly, just in front of the kid in yellow, the bus stuck at the traffic light and successive vehicles then piled into it, as the lorry has just done.   I'm not sure of the exact sequence of events but the billboard ended up being demolished and the steam lorry may have gone to the ground?

Jeff_Fareham_Oct_2022_RTA.jpg.cff2614c2592170aa4621c7696714829.jpg

Typical Saturday morning fare, really.   It had been running beautifully while the railway was temporarily halted and we'd been explaining how it worked to several visitors.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• 3 weeks later...

Graham,

This is awesome, as a follower of the HotN build, I can't understand how I've never managed to discover your Grantham thread before.

I'm amazed your team can get this from A-B, set it up and operate etc., my regret being 12,000km too far away to ever see it in the "flesh" The videos will have to suffice.

Regards,

Colin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Having seen Grantham in the flesh a few times it is an incredible layout Colin.

A few years ago Graham had a professional video made at one of the shows and I was actually there wondering who the guy was taking up so much space with his equipment and blocking my view. If Graham has any left I can heartily recommend it - purely as a very satisfied customer.

Brian

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Now then me hearties - an unexpected, last minute invite means that Grantham will now be rudely awoken from its prolonged hibernation somewhat sooner than planned. 

The dates for your diary are:

Friday March 10th and Saturday March 11th and the event is Model Rail 2023 https://www.theeventsoffice.com/ at the Great Yorks showground, Harrogate.

From what I understand, this is a long-established Model ENGINEERING exhibition, previously held in York, to which a model railway element is being added. You might think we’d be one of the larger exhibits but not so - the show also features a certain humongous, recently completed O gauge layout that requires 3 articulated lorries to transport it!

Anyhow looks like it’ll be a good show so hope to see you there if you can make it. Jesse’s coming all the way from Oz to be part of it so there’s really no excuse(!) (with apologies to those for whom circumstances dictate that they really can’t attend)

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Now then me hearties - an unexpected, last minute invite means that Grantham will now be rudely awoken from its prolonged hibernation somewhat sooner than planned. 

The dates for your diary are:

Friday March 10th and Saturday March 11th and the event is Model Rail 2023 https://www.theeventsoffice.com/ at the Great Yorks showground, Harrogate.

From what I understand, this is a long-established Model ENGINEERING exhibition, previously held in York, to which a model railway element is being added. You might think we’d be one of the larger exhibits but not so - the show also features a certain humongous, recently completed O gauge layout that requires 3 articulated lorries to transport it!

Anyhow looks like it’ll be a good show so hope to see you there if you can make it. Jesse’s coming all the way from Oz to be part of it so there’s really no excuse(!) (with apologies to those for whom circumstances dictate that they really can’t attend)

We haven’t discussed payment yet for two days work…..

• Like 1