Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

The big day draws nigh and to my relief work on 3 locos, 5 ironstone empties, 2 more loaded coal wagons, repainted cylinders (scuffed in transit) on 2 K2s, and coupling conversions on 2 bulk grain wagons appears to be nearing completion in time for me to still have a chance to clean wheels, refit missing couplings, attend to pick-ups and ensure adequate lubrication on the rest of my stock!

[/quote

G'day Gents

And he's doing it blindfold whilst watching TV and juggling 5lb of soot

manna

The big day draws nigh and to my relief work on 3 locos, 5 ironstone empties, 2 more loaded coal wagons, repainted cylinders (scuffed in transit) on 2 K2s, and coupling conversions on 2 bulk grain wagons appears to be nearing completion in time for me to still have a chance to clean wheels, refit missing couplings, attend to pick-ups and ensure adequate lubrication on the rest of my stock!

My locos all queued up for cleaning ... just as soon as I've:

• completed the scenery packing boxes,
  • finished the b*llsh1t information boards,
  • 'sorted' the turntable,
  • packed away the goods wagons,
  • made the cover for Peascliffe tunnel board,
  • printed out south box flip cards,
  • tidied up the mock ups of Ruston's factory & Great North Road bridge  :rtfm:

- to say nothing of actually dismantling the layout itself 

A few sleepless nights yet...

Edited by LNER4479

'To do' list :rtfm: update ...

• completed the scenery packing boxes,
  • finished the b*llsh1t information boards, DONE! :thankyou:
  • made the cover for Peascliffe tunnel board,
  • tidied up the mock ups of Ruston's factory & Great North Road bridge  DONE! :thankyou:

- layout still to be dismantled!  :swoon:

Now I know you lot further North than us yellow-bellies will say your hardened to the cold, BUT I suggest long johns may be the order of the day at the weekend.if today is anything to go by.

Against my better judgement,her indoors has got the Central Heating on in September.  I have never let that happen before,   It's cast in stone   :boast:  1stt October however cold it is.

Regards,

Downtrodden of Grantham     :O  

If you'd said, I could have serviced the locos - I did mine last night. Removed an impressive amount of gunk as well - note to self to clean track on Friday afternoon.

I'm getting geared up for track cleaning and electrical testing on Friday evening.

Hope the Boss has a couple of new track rubbers available?

As for Derek's weather forecasts, looks like Saturday will be damp, but 21 degrees C, which could cause problems with Humidity!

Don't think thermals will be necessary.

Paul 4475

Hope the Boss has a couple of new track rubbers available?

On tomorrow's last minute shopping list (delete thermals...) Henry the hoover will be coming along too - no track rubbing without hovering hoovering immediately afterwards.

Harvey is coming as well (naturally!) - don't mess with that big blue rabbit :jester:

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

On tomorrow's last minute shopping list (delete thermals...) Henry the hoover will be coming along too - no track rubbing without hovering immediately afterwards.

Harvey is coming as well (naturally!) - don't mess with that big blue rabbit :jester:

So, don't forget the stocking to put over/up the pipe in case Henry decides to ingest a piece of the railway.....and for once I'm being serious.

Phil

• Like 1

Probably best to leave all signals, buildings and anything that can be knocked flying by an errant elbow, off the layout until I've passed through the relevant area. I don't want the blame for any damages!!!!!!!

Paul 4475

Don't worry - there is a reasonably well-rehearsed routine already. Track cleaning / testing takes place with layout in a very 'bare' state. The detail stuff comes out later

That's interesting.  Track rubbers are used on Grantham.  They seem to have gone out of favour with many.  Removing the hardened rail tops and so on.

Used 'em for 30 years; never had a problem. Each to his own I think.

'To do' list :rtfm: further update ...

• completed the scenery packing boxes, DONE! :thankyou:
  • finished the b*llsh1t information boards, DONE :)
  • made the cover for Peascliffe tunnel board, DONE! :thankyou:
  • tidied up the mock ups of Ruston's factory & Great North Road bridge  DONE :)

- layout still to be dismantled!  :swoon:

As a special 'little extra' for all you lucky show attenders, the copse atop Peascliffe tunnel got some last minute love & attention from Craig last night and looks even more betterer now!

Got a night off tonight as seeing not-so-little-anymore person in a youth production of Les Mis. Timing a little unfortunate but otherwise not to be missed.

• Like 3

Right guys Travel directions to the school from the A1.

For anyone coming from the South,  avoid the first exit for Grantham B1174 which is just after a service station at Great Ponton and continue northbound up the hill.

After passing under an overbridge  (well it would be-would it not) take the exit as you come down the hill which is Signposted A607 Grantham & Melton Mowbray. At the  roundabout take the second exit and proceed under the A1. Pass a road on your left* * and then turn next Right into Kitty Briggs Lane.The school is on the left.

Coming from the North avoid the exit for the B1174 to Grantham, the Gonerby Moor Services and the Army Barracks. Continue on the A1  for about one mile at which point you will see signs for A52 Grantham & Nottingham. Ignore this junction as well. There are then four different sets of signs directing you onto the A607 Grantham & Melton Mowbray, Old Market Town-Hotels and B&B (Brown sign), Earlsfield Industrial estate and some other information.Take this exit and you will come to a Roundabout, (Hotel in front of you) take the second exit and you will come to a "T" junction. This is the road* * mentioned above so from there turn left and take the first Right turn into Kitty Briggs Lane.The school is on the left.

I would advise missing Grantham town centre to anyone other than Inland Revenue employees as for such a small town it has some of the worst traffic congestion you can imagine.  Only kidding folk,about the  Inland Revenue employees . However not about the traffic.

Weather expected to be Rain early drying up about 11.00 am ,but temperatures between 14 &17 degrees.

See you on Saturday.

Regards,Del.

Edited by CUTLER2579
  • Like 2

Another status report:

Last twelve locos still to be checked for fitness on Friday morning but 22 have been cleaned, lubricated, tweaked as necessary and declared fit. Any "funny noises" not eliminated are harmless. The J11 was running quietly in reverse after re-lubrication. The K3 pressed into service at short notice for dress rehearsal weekend now has wheels as clean as a whistle so it shouldn't display any hesitancy if called upon to run. The 22 already done include these three (what a relief to have them successfully off the workbench, even if wheel balance weights, weathering and final details in and around the cabs must wait for another time) :

post-3445-0-21235000-1441834875_thumb.jpg

My ironstone wagons boosted by the latest five now total 22 (a coincidence) including steel hoppers in App-Frod style, wooden hoppers ditto, and a couple of the Richard Thomas / Redbourn fleet. Up to eight of the total could run in the empties train.

post-3445-0-80329100-1441835146_thumb.jpg

Loads for the two Grassmoor colliery wagons bring the total of loaded coal wagons of credible East Midlands origin up to 16. The four pictured here have three link couplings on one end at least, in addition to the tension locks standard on all 16, so combination with Mr Weallans fleet shouldn't pose any problems.

post-3445-0-40368600-1441835410_thumb.jpg

Although they are only borrowing Kadees to demonstrate the presence and position of the NEM pockets, these two bulk grain wagons are ready to serve as shunting fodder too. They even boast "faux" glazing of the end windows now in order to partially please Mr Particular of Guisborough...

post-3445-0-59724400-1441835611_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-39207900-1441835647.jpg

Onward and upward!

Page 100 draws nigh. Maybe it should be saved for the first pictures from the show?

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 11

Yes, you just beat me to it with page 100. Thanks folks - hopefully debut full show appearance will be celebration enough but I might try putting something together after the show to reflect on the first 100 pages ;)

And boy - those J6's certainly do look the part.

• Like 1

And running sequence for the weekend.

That's easily done

Grantham Train Timetable_schedule (Grantham 2015).docx

I'll take camera along and try and get pix/video - but if any visitors take their own then be great to see them on here. Always interesting to see what others make of one's efforts...

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 1