Treamble Branch Line & Penhale Military Camp

• RMweb Gold

Following the bowing of the baseboard and a re-assessment of the actual and theoretical track layouts, I've decided to start again with this sub-layout.

Following copyright permission from BookLaw, I have tweaked a plan of Treamble to include both the implied start-of-loop point and my imaginary War Office siding. 

post-7025-0-50738300-1368035674_thumb.png

Courtesy Alan Bennett / Runpast Publishing / Booklaw

I probably won't be able to fit the full length of sidings, apparently they held 14 wagons, but I should manage the loop and following point, leaving enough siding space for a few wagons. I have no-idea what the tramway was like - more research needed there.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jack.

I'm currently designing how I can make the platform for the Halt at Shepherds - not sure yet whether to use the same design for the miltary siding platform at Treamble.

Looking good Stu,
and once again, your modelling must be fuelled by copious amounts of caffeine! :)
I don't know how you do it sir... I just don't know....

PS. Where did you buy your "lighter-than-air" platforms too??

Marc

• RMweb Gold

Hi Marc,

Don't do caffine - chococlate is my main vice...

All the above modelling will be binned, with the exception of the buildings, as I need to re-think how to make a the sub-baseboard frame.

I might be able to use a piece of the insulation stuff as used on the BCB layout - more experimentation needed.

Worse than that though, I have an itch to build another layout first... (the good news it will use the same fiddle yards as Shepherds & Tramble, the bad news it will need to be one board 5ft x 2ft and one board 5ft x 9").

I'll start another thead soon...

Hi Marc,

Don't do caffine - chococlate is my main vice...

All the above modelling will be binned, with the exception of the buildings, as I need to re-think how to make a the sub-baseboard frame.

I might be able to use a piece of the insulation stuff as used on the BCB layout - more experimentation needed.

Worse than that though, I have an itch to build another layout first... (the good news it will use the same fiddle yards as Shepherds & Tramble, the bad news it will need to be one board 5ft x 2ft and one board 5ft x 9").

I'll start another thead soon..

Yes, chocolate is a vice of mine too....

.... well, that and caffeine ;)

Don't bin it Stu - I'm sure you can make good, and do a good job of it at that!

As ever, it looks a good plan, and you model to an incresingly high standard sir.....

I know what you mean about "an itch to build another one"

- whenever I get half way though a project I've desparately been wanting to do

I start dreaming up the next scheme - and even the one after that.....

Oh dear, are we serial layout builders Stu?

Cheers again, Marc

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Having played around with some Peco templates, this is the next version, using the asymetric 3-way point...

post-7025-0-24631300-1395754205.jpg

As the exit line drops away to the left, would I need trap / catch points on the exit to both lines (as indicated by A and B) ?

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 2

I prefer it too, as the engine shed is accessible without recourse to the goods siding.

The issue with the first plan is that if the goods siding were "private" (military) and fenced-off/gated the shed would be inaccessible without entering private property, unless of course the shed were for a private loco in which case I'd expect the shed to be within the fence. It also means you need to clear wagons from the siding to get in the shed ... apologies if this is babbling, I trust you get my drift! 

The other option would be a "K" point arrangement, where the sidings both branch from facing points in the loop line and cross each other using a diamond crossing, but that is hard to arrange with commercial track and has wiring implications. Would make for interesting track-work though!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You're right about the fence line and the ease of access. I had considered a diamond too, but thought it a bit OTT for an end of branch, off a branch, mineral only set of sidings.

The 3-way was a compromise to include longer sidings to the right, without loosing the loop.

With Shepherds Halt, there will only ever be one wagon trundling between Treamble and the Halt, but the plan is to make this section compatible with the larger Shepherds Station, or any other variety of plan on the 'main' board, so it needs the capability of handling longer trains.

Would still like some advice on the need for trap/catch points, re post #35.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Right.

Baseboard construction should be started this evening. Points are all obtained, as is the track, except for a catch point which will cosmetic. Wire-in-tube ordered, switches need to be pre-wired and drilled for the WIT.

This will be a rapid build, even by my standards, but I have all next week off ( as planned, just for this build), so provided the domestic authorities / duties do not curtail my progress, there should be a fully working layout at Taunton.

Photos will be added !

• RMweb Gold

So here we go with the base board.

The under frame is again part of the internal door I used for the Shepherds board. The trackbed is again 18mm ply, cut to 26cm wide x 4ft 10inches.  (I use which ever measurement is more convenient - the 26cm width gives me a 5mm gap each side to use a 5mm ply or foam board as vertical basebaord edges - the 4ft 10in length means more to me than the equvialent metric value.) 

post-7025-0-51800800-1397686323_thumb.jpg

This shows the points laid out to assess space available, both length-wise (fine) and width-wise (narrow !!).

Next step is to raise the trackbed to the required height.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Quite a productive day, so far.

The trackbed has now been raised above the baseboard using 2" x 1". The track plan has been changed several times, but has now been decided upon and the main formation has been cut & fishplated together. The outer sidings will be added once the points have been stuck down.

I need to source some foam board to raise the track to allow space for the uncoupling magnets.

A 5mm ply backboard has been fixed on - this is only 3" high, so will support the low relief buildings along the back. These will include a smithy with attached lean to shed for the loco. Further along will be warehouses / stores and I'm hoping to add a high level tramway with chutes to load the standard gauge wagons.

8 days to go...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A picture of the track plan.

The track upper right will lead to the loco shed.

The track middle left will be for the military siding.

The head shunt lower left may have space for a wagon or two at the end, but this is not important.

The siding lower right will have the overhead chutes. 

post-7025-0-81363900-1397859258_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Nearly all the wiring has been completed today. The main feed and feed to the headshunt will be attached once the track is stuck down, which can't be done until the WIT is in place. But all the points are wired and the switches fixed in place.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Chris,

I know where the track will be as I have to add the channels for the WIT. Also, the live frog points have wires already attached.

So knowing the wiring diagram that's needed, I've wired up each of the frogs to the centre pole of the appropriate switch, and wired each of the outer poles to one of the two rail feeds. There will be 3 track feeds, all live all the time, so these have been brought to a connection block for each pole.

There is a bit of slack in the track/point wiring so I can move the points around when adding the WIT.

Looking good, Stu. Wonderful flow of track!

And I only can recommend the method of wiring before the track goes down – thus one can check and recheck everything. Saves you a lot of trouble !

Looking for more

Regards

Armin

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Armin.

I didn't want to have straight tracks on such a narrow baseboard, so the gentle curve was included to add some interest. The points are all small ones, but as the loco will be an 0-4-0 or 0-6-0 there shouldn't be any problems.

Hopefully the WIT will arrive Tuesday, so all track should be laid & ballasted by end of Wednesday.

I've got an idea for the style of the smithy & lean-to loco shed, plus the chutes from the tramway, so I just need to think about the rest of the backscene buildings / rockface and the military siding infrastructure.

6 days to go !

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

WIT has arrived, so will be installed tonight when the track will be stuck down.

Both hand held controllers have been re-plugged and tested via independent power supplies.

Code 75 4" bridge pieces have been found ( these were made for the module project, but from the wrong track, but are now perfect).

All on taget for completion by Saturday.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ballasting mostly done, just the main feed track to do.

The military siding's loading platform is done and paved, needs a coat of paint next.

The basics shape of rock for the right hand end is also done - this needs bedding in and support for the transway and chutes adding.

• Like 1