Treamble Branch Line & Penhale Military Camp

• RMweb Gold

I suspect the bell might have warned the enemy of impending doom?

Philth.

Quite. No excuse for bad manners. Only polite.

Rob.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

As there is no actual mine shaft, there will be some sheeting added to the frame, as a disguise. This will also serve as a barrier to stop the little people falling down the shaft ( that isn't there...).

But, if anyone has any suggestions for what signs would be suitable , I'll be very grateful.

I've done a few Google searches for historical trackside signs and found nothing. However, I have found Railway Group Standard GI/RT7033 which gives the details of the present-day lineside operational signs. See page 140 of the standard for the limited clearance sign. I imagine the Big Four had their own signs - but I've not found them online.

Richard,

Many thanks for your research. The red/white checked sign is the one we all recognise, but I wonder when and where did it first find use ?

They will only be little signs, and be side on to the viewers, and there might be no bright signs due to their being a war on, you know, so if no obvious answers are forthcoming it probably won't upset the rivet counters too much.

The white and red sign for 'limited clearance' came into use in 1952, and so it seems suitable here when the diesels are running. The early versions had the writing in capital letters.

This and other gems are here: http://www.railsigns.uk/info/other1/other1.html

You must appreciate, these things things do take time to find out :-)

- Richard.

Edited by 47137

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the info, looks like I will have to add some signs to Treamble if I'm using it in diesel mode. Now I have a Wickham Trolley, this will probably be more often than using GWR era stock.

Stu

post-7025-0-47193400-1481199282_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

There is a photo in the Middleton Press book 'Branchlines to Newquay' showing a trolley leaving Shepherds on the Treamble line.

This one needs a bit of running in, but will then be an excellent and appropriate addition.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Keith 

Yes, thanks, I'm a frequent user of that website,  plus Britain from Above.

Shepherds was built as a redesigned track plan, but has since been scrapped. Tremble, as I built it, is now in the loft.

Stu

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have a hankering to get Treamble out of the loft and revamp / upgrade some areas, plus add a fiddle yard (r/h/s) and a fiddle stick (l/h/s).

With some R1 curves I might even make it into a roundy.

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Some pictures of the Treamble branch (and the Gravel Hill Tramway) still exist on the Cornwall Railway Society page:

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/treamble-branch.html

What a great set of photos and accompanying text - very informative. 

• Agree 1