Treamble Branch Line & Penhale Military Camp

• RMweb Gold

As there is no actual mine shaft, there will be some sheeting added to the frame, as a disguise. This will also serve as a barrier to stop the little people falling down the shaft ( that isn't there...).

But, if anyone has any suggestions for what signs would be suitable , I'll be very grateful.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Today's modelling session involved moving some buildings around and sticking them down.

The little shed has moved along as I needed more room for the winding house.

The new chimney was last seen on Black Country Baby Blues.

post-7025-0-31118900-1426771089_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-33844900-1426771115_thumb.jpg

1st photo uses the Allan Downes method of focusing... 

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday's modelling session involved fabricating the upper part of the winding house, including the embedded chimney.

Today will see a level of detail added and some paint sploshed on.

post-7025-0-16735900-1426930899_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-25686400-1426930926_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

As there is no actual mine shaft, there will be some sheeting added to the frame, as a disguise. This will also serve as a barrier to stop the little people falling down the shaft ( that isn't there...).

But, if anyone has any suggestions for what signs would be suitable , I'll be very grateful.

I've done a few Google searches for historical trackside signs and found nothing. However, I have found Railway Group Standard GI/RT7033 which gives the details of the present-day lineside operational signs. See page 140 of the standard for the limited clearance sign. I imagine the Big Four had their own signs - but I've not found them online.

- Richard.

• RMweb Gold

Richard,

Many thanks for your research. The red/white checked sign is the one we all recognise, but I wonder when and where did it first find use ?

They will only be little signs, and be side on to the viewers, and there might be no bright signs due to their being a war on, you know, so if no obvious answers are forthcoming it probably won't upset the rivet counters too much.

• RMweb Gold

Stu,

'Tiny Signs' do trackside notices but you have to go to a shop to look at them as they will not magnify on the internet.  (They are not stupid!)  They may have something that is useful.

• RMweb Gold

Today's modelling session involved adding some more detail to the winding house, then giving it a coat of paint and a first splatt of weathering. Also, I finished the slating of the smithy roof and gave that a coat of paint too. I've also watched two rugby games, kept an eye on the football scores, made lunch, prepared tea and am now watching France hopefully beating England.

post-7025-0-00831300-1426960299_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-30524200-1426960323_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I've also watched two rugby games, kept an eye on the football scores, made lunch, prepared tea and am now watching France hopefully beating England.

I know your sort - you support Wales and anyone who's playing England. :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Today's modelling session should involve the preparation for the automation of the sheave wheels.

This entails providing a suitable hidden pulley within the winding house and the provision of two holes down through the upper baseboard to a suitable motor ( yet to be dug out of the loft).

This will then enable the smithy, winding house and pit head gear to be fixed in place, so that ground works can be started and the aerial tramway and steps completed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Today's modelling session involved adding paint detailling to the smithy and pit head. I have also made the two sheets of wriggly tin shuttering to cover the shaft.

More colour tweaking is required.

post-7025-0-01525900-1427288850_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-57149300-1427288870_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Armin.

It's nice to have developed my skills enough where I can make what I see in my mind's eye.

Each of these buildings has been thought about first, so I too am enjoying the scene they make.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Today's modelling session involves the installation of the two tramway hoppers. These are being shortened with a flared 3-sided hood added. Hopefully the mechanical gubbins for the working sheave wheels will be sorted later, plus the tramway rails and personnel walkway.

Oh, I'm not in work, this section of the layout has been returned home.

Piccies later.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well, slight issue with the pit head gear. The sheave wheels don't line up with the winding house window so the whole area will now be modelled as very run down - rust, broken rails, rotten wooden walkways.

So will be able to glue all the buildings down and finish off the groundworks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, slight issue with the pit head gear. The sheave wheels don't line up with the winding house window so the whole area will now be modelled as very run down - rust, broken rails, rotten wooden walkways.

So will be able to glue all the buildings down and finish off the groundworks.

Stu,

That must be a disappointment, but at least you have found a way around it.

• RMweb Premium

This seems a shame, those wheels would be superb if they could be moving. No chance of making a new wall for the winding house with a window in a better location?

- Richard.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks guys.

It's a challenge I don't have time before the April show to fix, but a bit more thought about the two buildings ( winding house & pit head gear) and I'm sure I can solve it.

Meanwhile, the lighting rig is taking shape, just need to find the conduit joining pieces which are somewhere in the garage...

post-7025-0-02994800-1428506740_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Today's modelling session involves adding a new building at the right hand end of the layout - a gunpowder store.

No idea what one should look like, so first task is some research...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As there appears to be no generic size, shape or material, I've gone with some Wills stonework with a simple door and vent.

The doorframe has been beefed up with some 1mm square rod.

post-7025-0-44885500-1428752765_thumb.jpg

As the store will sit partly in the rockface, to give the impression this is a secure 'front door' to an underground chamber, only one side wall is needed.

The roof will be slates, possibly with rafters exposed.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 3