Mk1 Sleeper

davidw

• RMweb Premium

The maroon SLF has had a modest weathering and looks better for it.  The seconds will get the same.  They more closely match the Heljan Westerns and Bachmann Warships for WR operation than the Dapol Westerns but I'm not overly fussed about slight colour variations.   That topic has already been well discussed without a consensus being achieved ;)

• RMweb Gold

Maroon seconds are in, roofs are the same as maroon firsts. Commonwealth bogies.

I relieved my local store of a trio.

These feel really well made, and run beautifully.  Livery matches older Mark 1's well.

Neal

Yep was surprised to find them on sale in Severn Valley Railway shops yesterday!

Had to buy one!

Has anyone looked at removing the roof ducting - or roof itself - yet?

Perhaps we should set up a swapsie system on here so we can get them corrected.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

I am going to have to model a PZ Paddington one now. I have the 50 (which doesn't like corners). Tempted to drop a Horby 50 chassis under it as the stretched Lima mechanism is noisy.

Yep was surprised to find them on sale in Severn Valley Railway shops yesterday!

Had to buy one!

Has anyone looked at removing the roof ducting - or roof itself - yet?

Perhaps we should set up a swapsie system on here so we can get them corrected.

Phil

Phil

I've got a Maroon SLSTP (short roof vent) on the workbench at the moment, which I intended to change onto a Blue/Grey SLF  - wrongly fitted with the longer roof vent.  Removing the roof duct only, may be an option, but it's not possible to see how it's fixed, until the roof is fully off .

The chassis is a very tight fit in the body, but eventually it came away with some thin spacers of plasticard wedged between the body and the chassis retaining clips - and not without much cursing !!!!!!  The clips that hold on the roof are very fragile, but with care they will eventually release. However, the problem I now have  - the ends of the water/toilet filler pipes ? are glued welded ! solid on the coach ends and roofs, and won't budge  grrrr..............thereby not allowing the roof to fully separate from the body. Trying to lever them off the roof, will no doubt mark it and bend/damage the pipes.

As usual, it's never as easy as it first looks !    Ideas anyone ?

The Maroon STLP has C/W bogies, whereas the Maroon SLF has BR1 bogies ? Presumably this is correct ?

Edit: see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/75031-Bachmann-mk1-sleepers-correcting-the-roof-error/

Just picked up a couple from East Somerset models today, my third is on order. Intend to renumber as ER stock, or did they run on Gresley bogies? My intention is to run them in a 7-car set with Thompson and Gresley coaches as the FO Newcastle-Tolmouth and SO Tolmouth-Newcastle.

Just picked up a couple from East Somerset models today, my third is on order. Intend to renumber as ER stock, or did they run on Gresley bogies? My intention is to run them in a 7-car set with Thompson and Gresley coaches as the FO Newcastle-Tolmouth and SO Tolmouth-Newcastle.

E numbers should be fine - no they didn't run on gresley bogies

• RMweb Premium

Just awaiting my "discounted" pack of four maroon seconds from Liverpool which are in the mail and that will complete the two rakes here (the other rake is b/g and arrived via Camborne) which all feature a selection of dropped blinds and not forgetting door blinds on the maroon ones.  With a little weathering added they look the part.  Place one of Dapol's Westerns on the front and a few "wakers" and vans along the train and turn off the lights to be transported back to Cornwall overnight with hydraulic power :D

Let me just establish - with one of each version in this initial release, is it likely that you have the correct roofs on the wrong vehicles, or one or more incorrect roofs?  I haven't had chance to open one of my boxes yet - the SLSTP (Maroon).

Just a little p^^^^d off to see on MREMag, a picture of the maroon SLSTP, and note that it has Commonwealth bogies. The Bachmann website, and the picture taken therefrom on Hattons website, show Mk. 1 bogies.

Guess which one I ordered on the strength of?

Not a happy camper, now need spare Mk1 bogies from Hattons as well.

Rather unhappy Bachmann! :nono:  :nono:

Peter C.

You can hardly blame Bachmann for producing the model as advertised surely?  If it's there on Bachmann website, and on Hattons how can they be blamed for a picture (clearly not supplied by Bachmann), as part of a personal review on MREmag......

Chard - If they're both Maroon  they both have the shorter roof duct - correct for the SLF, wrong for the SLSTP. 

You can hardly blame Bachmann for producing the model as advertised surely?  If it's there on Bachmann website, and on Hattons how can they be blamed for a picture (clearly not supplied by Bachmann), as part of a personal review on MREmag......

Chard - If they're both Maroon  they both have the shorter roof duct - correct for the SLF, wrong for the SLSTP. 

Bob, am I right in thinking that the blue/grey SLF should also have the shorter ducting?

I know you know these sort of things, being a Caley works hammer-wielding cheese piece eating type, unlike us glamorous operational types....

Spot on Paul - irrespective of body colour (maroon or blue & grey) the SLF should have the short roof duct and the SLSTP the long roof duct - as bought, in blue & grey they both come with the long duct (fine for the SLSTP but wrong on the SLF) and in maroon they both come with the short roof duct (fine for the SLF but wrong for the SLSTP)........

Glamorous operational types?  Your modesty becomes you :)

Ah, great - so they've commonized roof types by colour - perfect for my quartet then.  It's a job to add to the list of housekeeping stuff, but at least surgery's ruled out.  Excellent!

Thanks.

Well all my mates are down at the Olympia Beer Festival and I can't go, so i'm gonna  stay in and sort out some sleepers. As we know, Bachmann have unfortunately placed the wrong roofs on their blue-grey SLF and their maroon SLSTP, if you buy both you can execute a straight swap, although it's not for the faint-hearted. Put your car keys on the coffee table, it's time for some roof swapping. I start by pulling out the bottom of the end water pipes, then using my favourite thumbnail, I begin prising out one side, clipping it open with spare plastic strip, then I work down the other side.

post-298-0-57993900-1376687519.jpg

post-298-0-75465600-1376687573.jpg

Here's the other body at the same stage, now we remove the roof from the body, by prising over the plastic twin clips, starting on one side, working from end to end. More to follow.   BK

post-298-0-36840500-1376687610.jpg

post-298-0-11245100-1376687641.jpg

post-298-0-40641200-1376687668.jpg

post-298-0-97843000-1376687693.jpg

post-298-0-11732100-1376687771.jpg

Well all my mates are down at the Olympia Beer Festival and I can't go, so i'm gonna  stay in and sort out some sleepers. As we know, Bachmann have unfortunately placed the wrong roofs on their blue-grey SLF and their maroon SLSTP, if you buy both you can execute a straight swap, although it's not for the faint-hearted. Put your car keys on the coffee table, it's time for some roof swapping. I start by pulling out the bottom of the end water pipes, then using my favourite thumbnail, I begin prising out one side, clipping it open with spare plastic strip, then I work down the other side.

attachicon.gifCIMG3885.JPG

attachicon.gifCIMG3883.JPG

Here's the other body at the same stage, now we remove the roof from the body, by prising over the plastic twin clips, starting on one side, working from end to end. More to follow.   BK

attachicon.gifCIMG3870.JPG

attachicon.gifCIMG3872.JPG

attachicon.gifCIMG3873.JPG

attachicon.gifCIMG3878.JPG

attachicon.gifCIMG3887.JPG

Thanks Brian - now all I need is 2nd Class Sleepers and some one to swap

Here are the transposed roofs, now that looks better. I feared that I would have to repaint both roofs, but actually the exchanged shades still look okay with their new respective liveries, and a bit of variety is quite desirable anyway.

post-298-0-11722300-1376689525.jpg

Something I overlooked in the planning, was that the blue-grey has the one revised handrail, where the end steps have been removed for working under catenary, so the long duct roof transferring to the maroon SLSTP, needs a new hole to take the re-used SLSTP handrail, copying the position on the SLF. The former SLSTP roof, with the short duct roof, now attached to the SLF, is left with a tiny redundant hole, which is easily filled. Another unexpected consequence, it that there is a slight blue overspray, under the roof now attached to the maroon coach, but it hardly shows. More variations to come. 

Cheers, Brian.

post-298-0-95872200-1376689816.jpg

post-298-0-58654900-1376689869.jpg

post-298-0-64330200-1376689893.jpg

post-298-0-64577400-1376689933.jpg

I think you've missed my point Bob. The picture on the Bachmann website, and Hattons, showed the model with Mk1 bogies. On the strength of this, I ordered the model.

The actual model that appears in the shops, and reviewed by MREmag, has Commonwealth bogies, so not the same as the original illustration. These bogies make the model unsuitable for my time frame.

Peter C.

Sorry Peter, well & truly! so what is being supplied?  The Bachmann website illustrations show BR1's on the maroon SLSTP (39-502) and Commonwealth on the maroon SLF (39-500)

Are you modelling them sometime between 1957 & 1959? 59 onwards builds and you would be fine (but you probably already know that)!

[Edit] From a very reliable source (thanks Mark)  SLF's (39-500) are coming with BR1's and the SLSTP's (39-502) with Commonwealths).

Here's the easiest conversion of all, and a possible "get out of jail card", for those who have bought incorrect maroon SLS type. No roof swapping or cutting involved, you just re-number and bung on a couple of '1's on two doors, and it becomes by magic, a SLC (Sleeper Composite) with the correct roof. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy, it's now W2438. If and when Bachmann correct their mistake on later batches, you could always convert your dodgy SLSTPs to this format, and buy new seconds. Equally, if you can't wait until Bachmann do the SLC next year (or somebody commissions it), this will only take you twenty minutes or so, plus if you were going to buy more than one of each type, you'd have to renumber some anyway. I only applied the later yellow stripe to one side, purely for variety. The last pic shows the difference in exchanged roof colours. Blue-grey SLC next.

Cheers, Brian.

P.S.  Why does my workbench always look like Vic Berry's scrapyard?  :-)

post-298-0-98397300-1376741513.jpg

post-298-0-52436800-1376741493.jpg

post-298-0-50284900-1376741529.jpg

So it's looking like prototype 100, Bachmann 90,

The roof seem to be the biggest problem, has anyone contacted Bachmann about it?

In the short term why not set up a swoop  thread. eg. I have two long vented roofs will swoop for two short vented roofs. post at cost to both parties.

OzzyO.

PS. I knew it could happen, but I don't have any Bachmann sleepers to swop roofs.

Archived