Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Things which annoy you with modelling

Things which annoy you with modelling

Expensive model locos with no bant (Lancashire term for strength) i.e. pulling power, they need more WEIGHT (not allways easy to add)

Couplings - Apart from the excellent idea of plug in couplings, the current Bac / Hornby ones are bad, causing problems on long rakes. The european metal type is far better - wish all my stock had it.

Thats about it for me.

A noisy noise annoys an oyster most !!

Brit15

People who don't, but think that they do (a.k.a collectors).

People that moan about an aspect of a kit/model and tell you how you should have designed it but who don't understand the design/production process and constraints.

The total failure of anyone to invent a sticky high visibility flooring to catch the bit that you've just dropped and can't see (but doesn't trap the dirt).

• Like 2

I do my modelling in a room with a laminate wood floor, which makes finding dropped bits a lot easier. Even the retaining nuts for Alan Gibson crank pins can be found.

I have to agree with the comments about Ebay weathering. Especially heavily weathered coaches - the sides of coaches tended to be kept clean so the typical approach of spraying the whole model dirty grey just looks awful. I think these abominations spring from the tendency to copy other models rather than the prototype.

• RMweb Premium

Another

Precision Paints Aerosols

Clog like nobodies business, or spray lumps. reminds me, I think I have left my compressor on, so if I hear it in the night - aghhhhhhhhhhh

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Stuff just simply painted yellow with Network Rail transfers (5981 is about the only exception if you forget the aircon fan)

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

that monster that seems to live under my desk eating brake pipes and such

thanks

dan

He must be on holiday in France this week because he was under my bench yesterday and he had a couple of small bits from the end of my 7mm Parkside Mogo so I will be glad when you have him back!

Willy

• RMweb Gold

RMweb for distracting me from modelling. (Not sure it counts so much at work)

I am another sausage finger sufferer so anything related to manipualting small parts

That thought that occurs having built something I thought was good, and then thinking of another and better way to try it which means this version is now junk.

Time - Why does it go so quickly when modelling and so slowly at other times?

Truthfully though my biggest challenge is my own lack of patience which means I rush things some times only to then get really cross with myself as I know I could have done better.

• Like 1

I do my modelling in a room with a laminate wood floor, which makes finding dropped bits a lot easier. Even the retaining nuts for Alan Gibson crank pins can be found.

Pete,

so do I, but dropped bits "skid" across the floor and dissappear under desks, cabinets, etc. Perhaps a dimpled rubber floor is a possible answer? If it had magnetic strip under it the AG nuts would also stay where they drop.

Otherwise, a saucer shaped laminate floor (with the bench in the centre) so all the bits end up in the middle.

Jol

Pete,

so do I, but dropped bits "skid" across the floor and dissappear under desks, cabinets, etc. Perhaps a dimpled rubber floor is a possible answer? If it had magnetic strip under it the AG nuts would also stay where they drop.

Otherwise, a saucer shaped laminate floor (with the bench in the centre) so all the bits end up in the middle.

Jol

Luckily I don't have much furniture in the room, so it's not so much of a problem to go hunting for dropped bits, plus my floor has a slightly rough wood grain surface which seems to help slow bits down. I managed to retrieve the same lamp iron from the floor twice last night.

• RMweb Gold

Not being able to find the critical thing when I need it. eg right now I have a painted Iron Mink Gunpowder van sitting on my desk waiting to be lettered, but I've mislaid the very book which inspired me to do the conversion in the first place, and which has the all-important photos in. So the Mink sits on my desk, gathering dust, at risk of bits being knocked off, while I wait for the book to turn up. The book will turn up when I'm looking for something else, of course...

This is a very minor annoyance in the scheme of things, of course, more of a "doh - why does this always happen!". If too much about the hobby was annoying, I'd find another hobby.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A timely thread - just been struggling to connect the bl**dy stupid engine to tender plug and socket thing on a Hornby Schools. Managed to break two of the flimsiest wires known to man and am now contemplating throwing the whole lot out of the window.

There should be a warning on the box - 'People with sausage fingers should avoid this product like the plague'.

I don't know if there's something particularly bad about the Schools but I managed to break two of them in one evening. That kind of micro-surgical soldering is well out of my skills envelope so both had to go back to my local service center for fixing. The wires are definitely too flimsy and not strongly soldered to the plug or the PCB or the loco.

• RMweb Premium

My biggest annoyance has to be knowing what I want to do, but as I can be a rather hamfisted modeller from time to time, I am perpetually frustrated by my own impatience and limitations - particularly with regard to painting and getting a good finish.

(And I must do something about the kit part-swallowing black hole that seems to appear whenever (and wherever) I start building something.)

• Like 1

He must be on holiday in France this week because he was under my bench yesterday and he had a couple of small bits from the end of my 7mm Parkside Mogo so I will be glad when you have him back!

Willy

dont worry im prepared for his return! my malamute is waiting :P

I like modelling; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours. I love to keep it by me; the idea of getting rid of it nearly breaks my heart.

You cannot give me too much modelling; to accumulate modelling has almost become a passion with me; my study is so full of it now that there is hardly an inch of room for any more. I shall have to throw out a wing soon.

And I am careful of my modelling, too. Why, some of the modelling that I have by me now has been in my possession for years and years, and there isn't a fingermark on it. I take a great pride in my modelling; I take it down now and then and dust it. No man keeps his modelling in a better state of preservation than I do...

(With apologies to Jerome K. Jerome).

• Like 8

Another annoying thing now is at my age I don't look so good modelling speedos.

Can't you poke a 4mm A4 down the front, to make things look more impressive :swoon: .

ATB,

Martyn.