The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Extreme Foaming (much hilarity)

Debs.

• RMweb Gold

A quick Google reveals T.C Durant to have been a major mover and shaker with Union Pacific 150 years ago. As I think they were the first Transcontinental - i.e. even before Tri-ang - that probably justifies a little fame.

I wouldn't want this guy as a close neighbour when he has a new girlfriend upstairs to see his etchings.....

I suppose there was similar excitement from fans in Hampton Court yesterday.

A quick Google reveals T.C Durant to have been a major mover and shaker with Union Pacific 150 years ago. As I think they were the first Transcontinental - i.e. even before Tri-ang - that probably justifies a little fame.

Thomas C. Durant, played by Colm Meaney, was one of the main characters portrayed in the Hell on Wheels drama series about the building of the UP. He was Vice President of the UP and most of the financial shenanigans shown in the TV series seem to have been based on reality.

It's only a diseasal :whistle:

I feel sorry for anyone nearby who was also videoing it. When I was waiting to photograph a train with my late travelling companion, I always checked to make sure no one was planning to video it. Human railway enthusiats take photos, but canine ones bark excitedly!

• RMweb Gold

I remember the video that inspired this, so looked it up...

What's really sad is that the unit is simply a modern one painted in a "heritage" livery, which is nice but not much more. Now a genuine Rio Grande unit in original 4-stripe, or even single-stripe, THAT would be worth shouting about.

• RMweb Gold

It occurs to me that my late mum must have been equally baffled at my excitement on seeing 4-BUF 3084 at Bognor Regis in 1961. It was the last of the 13 units I "needed" to see and of great importance. But I was 12 years old.....

• RMweb Gold

It occurs to me that my late mum must have been equally baffled at my excitement on seeing 4-BUF 3084 at Bognor Regis in 1961. It was the last of the 13 units I "needed" to see and of great importance. But I was 12 years old.....

Perhaps as nothing compared with my joy at copping my 'last' Castle at a slightly younger age and what's more getting it through the front windows of a dmu on the Up Main approaching Acton East as said 'Castle' approached us on the Down Main (see I can even remember the details 50+ years on :jester: ).

• RMweb Premium

I have a photograph of 47704 at the rear of an ECS at Clapham Jc in about 1992. What you can just about see in the corner is a chap dancing a little jig celebrating copping his last 47/7. What the photo does not show is the happy little song and much whooping that accompanied it!

• RMweb Gold

I did wonder if the guy in the video was any relation to Gary Herbert who commentates on the Olympic rowing events.

Garry Herbert need apologise to no-one. As an Olympic Gold Medal holder, his cred as a rowing commentator is absolute. It was no doubt his enthusiasm and commitment that got him - and the Searles - their gold in 1992.

Archived