Shawbury Foregate BR 1987-92ish

1977joey

Loving the changes you've made - and the new coaches look good too (do you think they'd be easy to repaint?)

Cheers

Simon

Thanks Simon :)

I've no idea if they're easy to repaint, don't think I'm going to attempt it, I know the 150's I did were really fiddley. The one's i'm having done in provincial light blue livery i've sent off to 'r3sprays' to have professionally done, i'll be getting them back towards the end of next month. I am thinking of branding a couple of Mark 2's with Network Southeast logo's from fox transfers, just leaving them in blue & grey.

Hows Gresby coming on? Havn't seen it for a while :)

All the best,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mark,

I've not seen Gresby for a while either - its in store :(  I've been working on my stock (on the workbench thread) for a bit recently while I think of what to do to the buildings...

I fancy repainting a brake into NSE/Regional livery, but I'm not sure yet - fiddly's ok though :D

Cheers

Simon

Hi Mark,

I've not seen Gresby for a while either - its in store :(  I've been working on my stock (on the workbench thread) for a bit recently while I think of what to do to the buildings...

I fancy repainting a brake into NSE/Regional livery, but I'm not sure yet - fiddly's ok though :D

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

I've just had a look on your workbench thread, some great work you have going on there :) How long is Gresby in store for? Looking forward to it re-appearing again....

I look forward to seeing your re-livery of the Mark 2 coach, i'll keep my eye as it may give me the confidence to do a couple of mine as NSE coaches did appear at Shrewsbury in the late 80's ;)

All the best,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Mark :D

Hopefully only another few months and I can get cracking bedding all these buildings in and a backscene etc!  I've only got one building left I can build without needing to measure the baseboard, its a nuisance but I've still got all the other buildings to finish - which I really aught to get cracking with...

I did some window-insert Mark 2s a few years ago, and the 156 this spring so hopefully the new MK2s should be ok - will definitely post pictures when I've got hold of one though - I've got a few units to repaint first (your fault haha :P)

What's next for Shawbury?

Cheers

Simon

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Mark :D

Hopefully only another few months and I can get cracking bedding all these buildings in and a backscene etc!  I've only got one building left I can build without needing to measure the baseboard, its a nuisance but I've still got all the other buildings to finish - which I really aught to get cracking with...

I did some window-insert Mark 2s a few years ago, and the 156 this spring so hopefully the new MK2s should be ok - will definitely post pictures when I've got hold of one though - I've got a few units to repaint first (your fault haha :P)

What's next for Shawbury?

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon....& everyone here :)

well I've been busy with one thing & another cropping up recently, but have managed to get a bit more done to the layout today....

I've had a good bash at the area below the 'Abbey' by tldying it up & constructing walls, pavements & back gardens to the terraced houses.

Lamp posts are yet to be added to finish it off & next to the railway opposite the signalbox I'm yet to add cabinets to set this area off.

Here's some pictures & a bit of a running session of course.....the crappy weather is always good for some things ;)

post-5923-0-53803500-1372436120.jpg

First up a NSE Class 121 strengthening a 108 waits at Platform 1 with the all stations to Wolverhampton

post-5923-0-46244500-1372436119.jpg

Then the daily InterCity 125 service from Newcastle via Manchester to Swansea arrives at platform 2 for it's booked call at Shawbury Foregate

post-5923-0-20064700-1372436122.jpg

This view showing the area below the abbey/tunnel. I'm yet to add proper road markings & lamp posts. Note that I've widened the land near the railway this end, where I will add some signalling cabinets.

post-5923-0-78143600-1372436123.jpg

post-5923-0-93400800-1372436124.jpg

The Aberystwyth to Stanlow empty oil tank train is arriving for a Crew change on the down goods....

post-5923-0-71465300-1372436126.jpg

& draws to a stand next to the local DMU for Crewe formed of a Class 101

post-5923-0-14705900-1372436129.jpg

Cheers for now guys,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Simon & Scott, glad your likeing it :)

Well Chaps,

well not much in the way of modelling done to the layout lately as it's just been too hot, & also I've been without broadband for a few days, but I have received my 3 Class 150/1's back from 'r3resprays' & I have to say they look fantastic.

Now my Cambrian lines services to Aberystwyth & Pwllheli as well as some local services from Shawbury have a Sprinter service...

post-5923-0-21791300-1373712530.jpg

In this picture can be seen a 4 car formation, 150132 with 150128 on an Aberystwyth service at Platform 3 while 150114 waits on the down goods for it's next turn of duty...

post-5923-0-09116400-1373712532.jpg

post-5923-0-49983200-1373712533.jpg

later that day, 150114 arrives back at Shawbury on the 16:17 Wolverhampton to Chester service

post-5923-0-95120200-1373712534.jpg

and comes to a stand at Platform 5b

post-5923-0-46852600-1373712539.jpg

post-5923-0-14237900-1373712541.jpg

before sending the units off I painted the seats red with black frames to represent the original seats in the units when in this livery (red with navy stripes)

Cheers for now guys

Mark

Those 150s do look nice Mark, I really must get mine finished.

Cheers Peter.

Thankyou Peter :)

I'm chuffed with them. I've wanted this particular livery for an age, but I think i'd be in for a very long wait from Farish so thought i'd take the plunge & have them done properly, using funds from selling older models on ebay that I no longer use & as an early birthday present to myself ;)

Looking forward to seeing pictures of yours on Llanbourne when you have it done :)

All the best,

Mark

Thankyou Peter :)

I'm chuffed with them. I've wanted this particular livery for an age, but I think i'd be in for a very long wait from Farish so thought i'd take the plunge & have them done properly, using funds from selling older models on ebay that I no longer use & as an early birthday present to myself ;)

Looking forward to seeing pictures of yours on Llanbourne when you have it done :)

All the best,

Mark

Hi Mark,

I have the limited edition Trains 4u one which is very good but I need to add the fairing on the front and change the destination blind. I have the PH designs seating for the power car which I have sprayed up ready. It's just finding time to do it.

Cheers Peter.

The 150s look ace! Funny I was just looking at this livery(OO gauge)on Trains4U yesterday and thinking a pair of them would be very nice indeed. I have a pair in regional railways and I think they may be my favourite of the DMUs. 

Hi Mark,

I have the limited edition Trains 4u one which is very good but I need to add the fairing on the front and change the destination blind. I have the PH designs seating for the power car which I have sprayed up ready. It's just finding time to do it.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

I'd love to add destinations to the front of my 150's, though I think it would be a bit of a job to try & get fonts so tiny :O . I remember the fairing on the front of the 150's, don't think it was till the 90's when this got removed in favour of the snow ploughs.

I know what you mean about finding the time to do modelling, I just do a bit at a time now around my shifts, & of course the hot weather over here at the moment doesn't make you want to do a lot .... :O

The 150s look ace! Funny I was just looking at this livery(OO gauge)on Trains4U yesterday and thinking a pair of them would be very nice indeed. I have a pair in regional railways and I think they may be my favourite of the DMUs. 

Thanks Scott.

I don't understand why the dark blue livery was chosen for the 150/1's as only about 7 of them were painted in that colour from around 1988, from introduction, all 50 sets carried Provincial light blue, which for me is my favourite livery for them. I remember seeing the first one's when I was a kid & remembered how they stood out from all the other older trains.

I used to prefer the old 'Intercity's' to travel on back in the day, but now the 150's are classic traction & have some character compared to the modern stuff on the rail network these days.

All the best,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Hi chaps,

well a little modelling done today, this time the signals at the tunnel mouth have been re-configured. I thought the semaphore that was next to the tunnel did look a little too steam age for my liking along with the rest of the semaphores in the station, so I thought a change to colour lights would look better. I decided to have a Bi-directional gantry so the signals are controlling both the exit of the station (as distance signals) with a feather route indicator for the Hereford/Welshpool line & for the approaches at the tunnel mouth, a theatre route indicator which would tell the driver what platform the train would arrive.

I've done it the same way as my other 'pretend' colour lights, by chopping up the rest of the knightwing traffic lights, adding plasticard for the route indicators, painting them black & using a gel pen for the lenses...

post-5923-0-62768700-1374608170.jpg

post-5923-0-16934400-1374608173.jpg

This picture shows the gantry constructed by plasticard, a nail for the post, a brass ladder & the first signal glued on with feather indicator

post-5923-0-49051400-1374608175.jpg

another shot showing a class 150 Sprinter leaving Platform 2 for Birmingham, while a Class 108 DMU arrives at Platform 5 with the Swansea to Crewe service

post-5923-0-66158300-1374608177.jpg

post-5923-0-19484100-1374608180.jpg

post-5923-0-04559400-1374608182.jpg

& finally a shot from a drivers eye view showing the signals that guard the approaches to the station.

Now to add the safety rail to complete it :)

Cheers for now guys,

Mark

Very nice aspect signals,keep up the super modeling!! always enjoy looking through this progress thread...

Thankyou Class 66 :)

Well now I finally have my internet up & running properly after many problems with the router.....I had a session on Shawbury earlier & thought I would post some pictures of it.

It's after 21:00 at Shawbury & it's the last connections of the day off the Cambrian line to & from Aberystwyth. This is how this evenings scene looked...

post-5923-0-42274400-1375305278.jpg

Looking from Shawbury No 1 box at the south end of the station, just visible to the extreme right in the holding siding is 2 car Sprinter 150145 which is now stabled over night having worked in the 21:14 arrival from Aberystwyth, the last arrival of the day from the Cambrian line, seen at the south end of platform 1 is another 2 car Sprinter 150128 with the last train of the day, the 21:29 Shawbury Foregate to Aberystwyth. Class 37, 37254 waits in the up goods with the Dee Marsh to Margam steel coil train & A 3 car Class 108 DMU waits at platform 4 with the local to Wolverhampton.

post-5923-0-96225500-1375305279.jpg

The 'Aber' is seen waiting at Platform 1a in front of a stabled 3 car West Midlands PTE Class 101

post-5923-0-48391400-1375305281.jpg

post-5923-0-95239300-1375305282.jpg

Then the 21:22 Cardiff to Bangor arrives at Platform 5 hauled by 47403 'The Geordie'

post-5923-0-27313200-1375305284.jpg

post-5923-0-78768800-1375305285.jpg

post-5923-0-02498500-1375305288.jpg

Passengers off the Cardiff arrival for the Sprinter for Aber are making a dash for their train which will be leaving shortly

post-5923-0-24824800-1375305290.jpg

The 21:25 DMU to Wolverhampton departs Platform 4

post-5923-0-76824500-1375305311.jpg

Then followed by the Sprinter for 'Aber' at 21:29

post-5923-0-37385700-1375305313.jpg

post-5923-0-03034000-1375305315.jpg

A Class 101 & a 150/1 are seen stabled in the holding sidings next to platform 1.

Cheers for now guys :)

Mark

Mark,

As a steam man here I am for the second time in less than a week being enthusiastic about a diesel era layout.

Really like Shawbury, keep it coming, Termini are my thing and I enjoy a good one!

Regards,

Dave

Hi Mark,

I'm sure i've said it before but i really do enjoy the timetabled sequence of trains, half an hour at Shawbury was very interesting, look forward to early monday morning.

Cheers

Graham.

Thanks Graham for the great feedback :) I'll definitely have to do a morning session at some point & post some pictures. I should really get on with some modelling too but it's hard to resist giving the trains a run when I sit at the layout :P

Mark,

As a steam man here I am for the second time in less than a week being enthusiastic about a diesel era layout.

Really like Shawbury, keep it coming, Termini are my thing and I enjoy a good one!

Regards,

Dave

Thanks very much Dave, glad you like it & that it's wetting your appetite for diesels :)

All the best,

Mark

Thanks Graham for the great feedback :) I'll definitely have to do a morning session at some point & post some pictures. I should really get on with some modelling too but it's hard to resist giving the trains a run when I sit at the layout :P

I know what you mean Mark, with all the best intentions i go to work on the layout and then spend 3 hours running the layout, although thats what its all about isn't it.

Got a question if you don't mind, where did you get the valancing from that you have used on the canopys?

Cheers

Graham. 

I know what you mean Mark, with all the best intentions i go to work on the layout and then spend 3 hours running the layout, although thats what its all about isn't it.

Got a question if you don't mind, where did you get the valancing from that you have used on the canopys?

Cheers

Graham. 

Absolutely Graham :) definitely what it's all about.

The canopy valance was by 'Slaters' which I got from the Stafford show last year. I believe modellers mecca in Kingswinford stock their products & this link https://slatersplastikard.com/ I hope could help :)

All the best,

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Chaps,

There's been a lot happening in life lately hence me not updating my thread for quiet a while. Also I've made the decision I want to move house, so how ever long this is going to take, much to consider & do....I have also made the decision to dismantle Shawbury Foregate. The layout has been great to do, & I've proved to myself what I am capable of, but the size of the bedroom & space restraints I have had to compromise with the trackwork, having to use first radius curves & points on the mainlines has caused more than it's fair share of problems, & these have tested my patience when operating the layout :scratchhead:

I will however be building a brand new & much better layout after learning from past mistakes. This time, I want an 8ft long board, around 3ft wide, so I can have decent approaches to my station & use a minimum of 2nd radius curves & medium radius electrofrog points. I'll be keeping all my rolling stock ready for it, as my heart is firmly on modelling the the late 80's as well as rescuing most of the buildings off the present layout.

It'll be a while before I can put my house up for sale, so this could be a good project to keep me happy over the upcoming winter months, so watch this space....

In the meantime, I'd like to thank all who have followed my thread, & all the great feedback & comments that have kept me inspired :D

All the best,

Mark

Archived