Shawbury Foregate BR 1987-92ish

1977joey

Nice little transformation there Mark, well done.

Graham.

Thanks Graham, glad you like it :)

Hi Mark

You might want to contact NSE DAZ. ;)

Cheers Ian, i'll bare that in mind :)

That turned out really well!  Well done :D I'd like to give the Merseyrail livery a try eventually - do the 150s come apart easily?

Cheers

Simon

Thanks Simon, I should hopefully have the unit complete tomorrow so i'll post more pictures once i've done it :). To take the body apart, i used a tiny screwdriver & gently unclipped the chassis from underneath the rear of the car under the gangway. The windows come away quiet easy too,...again just gently pushing them through their frames from the outside. The 5 bodyside windows all come away on one moulding. Hope this helps :)

Looking forward to seeing the Merseytravel livery if you do one ;)

I must admit, I was really scared at re-painting a model around the £80 mark in case I messed it up....but I'm chuffed at how it's looking, as I know I could probably never get that livery ready to run :)

Wow, I am really impressed with the paint job you have done on the 150. It is really stunning and if you put the extra carriage in there it will look the business. 

Thanks Stephen :) I'm hoping to complete it tomorrow, then do another 2 150/1 2 car sets in the same livery. I'll make a couple into 3 car sets when I can get my hands on another 150/2

All the best,

Mark 

That really has come out very nicely.

Cheers Stephen :D

Well Guys, my 1st of 3 Class 150/1 Centro units is now complete. All logo's are now on, & the interior seats are now also painted back from red to grey. I have to say, at my first repaint of a train i'm really chuffed (Excuse the pun :P)

Here is 150107 adorned in it's new livery.....

post-5923-0-67145700-1362427306.jpg

post-5923-0-81147300-1362427307.jpg

I couldn't just focus in clear enough in this pic to show the unit number

post-5923-0-68255200-1362427309.jpg

post-5923-0-13403800-1362427311.jpg

post-5923-0-17510000-1362427313.jpg

& here she is in revenue earning service at Shawbury Foregate's platform 4

Cheers for now guys,

Mark

Evening Guys,

As i've painted one unit, it's given me the confidence to start work on another 2 sets, which have just entered the paintshop this evening to become 150119 & 150121. So I will have 3x 2 car sets in Centro livery & 1 remaining set 150148 which will remain in provincial livery.

post-5923-0-95400300-1362515695.jpg

post-5923-0-64706700-1362515697.jpg

Cheers for now,

Mark

Hi chaps,

my Centro-Sprinter repaints are now virtually complete. I took a couple of pictues earlier. The keen eyed will noticed I have also removed the canopies from the bay platforms to test what the station will look like. Athough I liked the canopies i'd made for these platforms, I found viewing the trains difficult & having to really bend my back etc. I will realign all the lamposts & nameboards over the next few days...

post-5923-0-30888600-1362851770.jpg

A 4 car Centro liveried 150/1 formation formed of 150119 & 150121 arrives at platform 4 with a Wolverhampton to Chester service

post-5923-0-03971100-1362851769.jpg

All 3 150's repainted are in this shot, nearest camera are 150121 & 150119 seen arriving at Platform 4 with a Wolverhampton to Chester service, while 150107 is over in bay Platform 2 not in public use

Cheers for now guys,

Mark

Hi Chaps,

As i've removed the canopies on the bay Platforms, I have today reconfigured the lamp posts & signage on these platforms. Once complete, I had a session on the layout & took a few pictures in natural lighting....

post-5923-0-29528500-1363015345.jpg

This shot from Shawbury Abbey shows the platforms minus the canopies, as a Class 31 trundles along the down goods bound for Stanlow

post-5923-0-29583600-1363015346.jpg

post-5923-0-94331200-1363015347.jpg

A Bristol based 3 car Class 101 has just arrived at platform 3 at 14:21 with the terminating marches line stopping service from Cardiff Central.

post-5923-0-63903200-1363015349.jpg

Shortly joining the 101 10 minutes later is Centro liveried 150119 arriving at Platform 2 from Wolverhampton

post-5923-0-16069400-1363015351.jpg

post-5923-0-33399400-1363015352.jpg

Next InterCity liveried 47612 approaches platform 4 with the 14:41 Inter-Regional express from Cardiff Central to Manchester Piccadilly

post-5923-0-83111100-1363015353.jpg

post-5923-0-36622200-1363015355.jpg

A 4 car Regional Railways 150/2 formation then arrives at Platform 1 with the 14:49 Liverpool Lime Street to Portsmouth Harbour in place of the usual loco hauled set, much to the dismay of the passangers waiting for this train.

post-5923-0-97817900-1363015356.jpg

Cheers for now guys,

Mark :)

Hi Chaps,

I've been considering adding an extra Platform to Shawbury Foregate, as looking at it, I feel it looks like all stabling sidings with the station somehow looking lost amongst them. As it's based on a real station thats quiet considerable in it's size, I think the extra Platform would look good. This will be a terminating parcels Platform so I don't plan on re-numbering all the platforms, it will be used for parcels traffic in the evenings & stabling out of use stock during the daytime, but I think it will give the station a more purposefull look rather than just the bare functional look.

As well as this change, i'm also going to link the bay platforms to the down line rather than the up, so the curves will be slightly gentler on exiting/approaching the station from this direction, as one of my class 156's isn't keen on the current set up on departing Platform 1  :scratchhead:

post-5923-0-56995700-1363377933.jpg

This is how the track plan currently looks....

post-5923-0-23981700-1363377994.jpg

And after the new platform added & the purple line highlights the change to the points leading to the bay platforms.

I'll start the work over the next week or so & post some pictures.

Cheers for now,

Mark

Will you replace the crossover that you have at the moment by the signal box?

If you don't trains leaving the Bays will have to travel wrong line to the fiddle yard (and points south)

Hi Keith,

Yes I will be, but there is a another crossover immediatly after the curve on the other side of the board, so it's only very short distance..

At the moment, trains coming into the bays have to travel the same distance wrong line anyway, so it's only really reversing this.

I'm also thinking of adding a tunnel mouth eventually to hide the curves at the south end. It's something I need to do, as at the moment, for me it looks way too tight. re-routing the bays to the down line will allow a much gentler curve into the station. I also need to sort the up side curves too, as i'm getting a few derailments.

All the best,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Liking the added Parcels platform idea, will make operating a little more interesting.

Graham.

Thanks Graham :)

At the moment i've felt like I have too many stabling sidings, so adding a parcels bay will create a more spacious looking station, and as you say, operational interest. I'm looking forward to the new Farish blue class 08 once released shunting parcels vans in this platform :P

The canopy at the top end will be designed to match the current one on the island platform, so should all fit into place hopefully :)

All the best,

Mark

It's handy having the up goods loop where you've got as you use it to shunt the vans, could you get a headshunt at the signal box end? That way you could have trains running in both Up and Down directions but leave you free to shunt parcels trains.

Graham.

It's handy having the up goods loop where you've got as you use it to shunt the vans, could you get a headshunt at the signal box end? That way you could have trains running in both Up and Down directions but leave you free to shunt parcels trains.

Graham.

Funny you should say that Graham, as I was thinking about that. I'll have a look how the track work will fit into place & take it from there. I know whatever I do to change it, it's going to be a tight squeeze.

All the best,

Mark

Hi Mark

I'm a bit of a fan of your station canopy and was wondering if you could tell me where you got the valace detail from. It would be perfect for my representation of Rhyl's station.

Regards

Lee :)

Hi Mark

I'm a bit of a fan of your station canopy and was wondering if you could tell me where you got the valace detail from. It would be perfect for my representation of Rhyl's station.

Regards

Lee :)

Hi Lee, glad you like the canopy :). It was Slater's canopy valance. I managed to get a couple of packs of it from the Stafford show last year. Here is the link to their websitehttps://slatersplastikard.com/ , hope this helps.

Looking forward to seeing your version of Rhyl develope too :)

New Idea sounds good Mark. I look forward to the updates on progress.

150's looking good.

Farish announced the 'centro' 150/2's would look super at Shawbury!

Cheers.

Jack.

Thanks Jack & Cheers for that info on the 150/2...ideal to make up a couple of my 150/1's into 3 car sets :P

Well Chaps, a couple of pics taken of Shawbury during s 'possession' taking place, track is lifted in readyness for the adjustments about to take place. This how it all looks at the moment....

post-5923-0-19482900-1363553050.jpg

The track lifted where the additional platform is to be constructed, & the stabling sidings next to it will also be reconfigured

post-5923-0-03136800-1363553052.jpg

post-5923-0-89997800-1363553053.jpg

The approach to the bays & the line departing Platform 1 now reconfigured. I need to order a righthand medium point for the bays, so it'll be a few days before I can complete this.

post-5923-0-30968300-1363553055.jpg

In this not so brilliant picture, This area i'm also thinking of changing...so that the road will actually look like it's leading somewhere, & moving the hill back so that it's over the railway creating a tunnel to hide the curves.

Lots to get on with, Cheers for now guys :),

Mark

Hi Chaps,

Well i've done some track re-laying this evening as my medium right hand point arrived today, the DMU holding sidings & the bay platforms are now intact. The ballast will be re-done on all lines this end of the layout once the new platform is finished.

I've also been looking at some signals from the ratio range to replace my home made rather chunky offerings, so these will be ordered on my next pay day hopefully :P

Here is the scene as of this evening...

post-5923-0-61675400-1363812793.jpg

A view of the 3 new DMU/Loco holding sidings. The new Platform will extend past the Class 150/1 unit, & I will be using one of the canopies originally made for the bay platforms (which was saved) down this end of the new platform. The North end will be of GWR style the same as the rest of the station.

post-5923-0-36913100-1363812795.jpg

The re-modelled southern approaches to the station. I'm really happy with the look of this, I think it looks a lot less 'tight' than before

post-5923-0-09471100-1363812797.jpg

& finally looking north

Cheers for now guys,

Mark :)

Fair play to you for having the courage to rip it up and remodel! I hate making decisive moves with layouts because I can't bring myself to rip it up and change it once its down!!

That does look good on the approach there, like you say less tight.

I like the idea of moving that hill back too to hide the curves. Tunnel portals always make good features :D

Look forward to seeing the new platform in place with your awesome canopies :D

Regards

Lee

Fair play to you for having the courage to rip it up and remodel! I hate making decisive moves with layouts because I can't bring myself to rip it up and change it once its down!!

That does look good on the approach there, like you say less tight.

I like the idea of moving that hill back too to hide the curves. Tunnel portals always make good features :D

Look forward to seeing the new platform in place with your awesome canopies :D

Regards

Lee

Thankyou Lee, glad you like the changes  :)

I thought after it was all put together that I was never happy with all the points together at the southern end of the station. I've now only got the 2 holding sidings so both can comfortably hold at least a 3 car DMU. I don't have as many lines in the station area now.....but sometimes, less is more so to speak :no:

I'm going to look at moving the hill back once the platform is complete, & look at a way of cutting a tunnel into the polystyrene & Papier mache that it sits on.

I'm hoping to construct the platform tomorrow as I have the metcalf kit ready so will ost more pictures once this is done :)

All the best,

Mark

Archived