Shawbury Foregate BR 1987-92ish

1977joey

Wowza!  The stations looking amazing now!  You've been busy! 

Love the coaches too - I need to look into getting a BSO, does the colour match the Farish colour well?

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

glad you like it :). The Farish red stripe on the InterCity livery is a little dull compared to the red on the vinyls, tho if your into weathering your stock you could probably tone it down. But to be honest, when they're coupled together it's hard to notice, Hope this helps :)

All the best,

Mark

Ah cool - I'll have a look out for some.  How quickly do they have to be applied once peeled off the backing?

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon

They're quiet durable, so if you need to adjust them you can. You just peel them off backing paper & they are simply stick on. You may need a dab of uhu glue to seal the ends especially where the doors wrap round.

Here's the website for the vinyls if you don't already have the link http://www.electrarailwaygraphics.co.uk/

All the best,

Mark

Mark, just realised (looking through the picutres) how fun this must be to operate, always something to arrive / depart and loco's running round stock.

Again...looking the business ;)

Jack.

Thanks again Jack :D

All the best,

Mark

Said this before Mark but looking good!

Having just completed a 2 Scotrail push-pull rakes for my layout I can also recommend Electra Graphics- as with most things provided you do the prep properly they go on a treat and are a great way of introducing something a bit different. (Usual happy customer disclaimer applies!!!)

Said this before Mark but looking good!

Having just completed a 2 Scotrail push-pull rakes for my layout I can also recommend Electra Graphics- as with most things provided you do the prep properly they go on a treat and are a great way of introducing something a bit different. (Usual happy customer disclaimer applies!!!)

Thanks very much Ian,

Glad you like it. I'm pleased we have Electra as i've stated before, there's a lot of late 80's liveries missing ready to run on farish coaching stock, jumping from Blue grey right to post privatisation.

I've just found your layout thread, a great layout you have there & plenty of space for full length trains. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this ;)

All the best,

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chaps,

Not much more done to the layout i'm afraid. I've had a change of job & been really busy. I will catch up on some detailing the layout over the weeks though :) Starting with the phone boxes on the platforms.

Had a bit of a run of the trains today & thought i'd share a couple of pictures I took.

post-5923-0-17624400-1358707155.jpg

A typical sunday scene of stabled DMU's, A Class 47 & 37 are seen on the up goods providing super power to a brakevan off an engineers train which they are taking to Bescot, while a Regional Railways Class 101 coupled to a 108 making a 5 car formation wait at Platform 1 with the 16:25 Chester to Birmingham New Street.

post-5923-0-58781700-1358707170.jpg

A busy scene on the platforms as Passengers board the Birmingham bound DMU

Cheers for now guys,

Mark

That last picture is really great!!

Indicates rush hour to me ... Almost hear the noise of station clatter!

Jack.

Thanks Jack,

Glad you like it :) I really need to detail the structures. The phone boxes are next on the list whuch are on this section of Platform, I hand made them from plasticard, they just need to be coloured & Telecom logo's added. I need to add poster boards & timetbles to this area too.

A couple more pictures taken today in natural lighting....

post-5923-0-69388900-1358783543_thumb.jpg

A 3 car local Class 101 DMU from Wolverhampton has arrived at Platform 3 in front of a 2 car 'Sprinter' Class 150/1 which is on the blocks having arrived just before it from Aberystwyth.

post-5923-0-01710700-1358783547_thumb.jpg

Another class 101, a 2 car set stands on the down goods after an earlier working from Crewe, as a Class 156 has arrived at Platform 4 with a SuperSprinter service from Swansea to Manchester Piccadilly. Once the 156 has headed north, the 101 will shunt back out to Platform 4 to follow the 156, calling all stations to Crewe

post-5923-0-51823500-1358783549_thumb.jpg

A small cross section view of Platform 4.

All the best,

Mark

Another nice round of photos Mark. I need to get myself some more DMUs for Tynsleyfield. 

Thanks Scott :)

I think DMU's are a must for a 1980's based layout as they were seen all over, especially The Met Cams. I believe Bachmann are doing a OO Class 101, so should be a good model. I think Hornby do a version too though this is the old Lima moulding, though still a good representation. I was always fond of the old DMU's, hence my collection :). I'm just hoping we get a 3 car suburban type DMU type made by either Farish or Dapol to compliment the 108's & 101's.....

All the best,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Some 116/117s would be just the ticket for Gresby/Shawbury! 

Love the new pics, I keep finding pictures of stations from the 80s and thinking a) how cool it would be to model and  b) thinking of Shawbury :D

Keep up the good work

Simon

Some 116/117s would be just the ticket for Gresby/Shawbury! 

Love the new pics, I keep finding pictures of stations from the 80s and thinking a) how cool it would be to model and  B) thinking of Shawbury :D

Keep up the good work

Simon

Thanks very much for that compliment Simon, thats really nice to know :D

A Class 116 or 117 would be just the job & pretty much complete my First generation DMU collection......we'll see what Dapol may have in store this year :P

If i'm not too tired having been on an early shift, I may attempt the start to rebuild my signal box this afternoon....watch this space :)

All the best,

Mark

Hi Chaps,

Well after an 04:30am alarm & work it's not often I have the urge to do any modelling after an early shift...but this afternoon, i've threw myself into reconstructing what was really bugging me on my layout, & that was the signal box, my representation of Severn Bridge signal box at Shrewsbury.

Shawbury Foregate No 1 box is a sized down structure, in fitting with the size of the station. This is imagined to control the southern end of the station along with the diverging Wolverhampton & Hereford lines. There is imagined to be another signal box controlling the junction at the north end of the station (off scene, Shawbury Foregate No 2) which controls the north end & the junction for the Crewe & Wrexham lines.

Here is Shawbury Foregate No1 box under construction & in place on the layout....

post-5923-0-43053600-1358879290_thumb.jpg

1st I made the glazing from clear plasticard, a thin black marker pen for the panes of glass & white card cut thinly to represent each window frame.

post-5923-0-21711200-1358879295_thumb.jpg

The windows glued to their base

post-5923-0-54416300-1358879299_thumb.jpg

The box structure made from thick brick card

post-5923-0-77608900-1358879303_thumb.jpg

post-5923-0-79715400-1358879307_thumb.jpg

With the roof on...

post-5923-0-43451700-1358879312_thumb.jpg

In place on the layout as the once weekly Aberystwyth to Stanlow petroleum train passes signalled onto the down goods

post-5923-0-99650600-1358879315_thumb.jpg

post-5923-0-60946400-1358879319_thumb.jpg

Looking north

post-5923-0-89582100-1358879552_thumb.jpg

47 535 'University Of Leicester' is departing platform 4 passing the box with a Shwabury Foregate to London Euston InterCity service

post-5923-0-18668900-1358879559_thumb.jpg

Looking south.

Cheers for now guys,

Mark

Thanks Scott :)

I think DMU's are a must for a 1980's based layout as they were seen all over, especially The Met Cams. I believe Bachmann are doing a OO Class 101, so should be a good model. I think Hornby do a version too though this is the old Lima moulding, though still a good representation. I was always fond of the old DMU's, hence my collection :). I'm just hoping we get a 3 car suburban type DMU type made by either Farish or Dapol to compliment the 108's & 101's.....

All the best,

Mark

Hi Mark, 

I have a Class 150 and just recv'd a CEP 411 (not exactly proper for my era/location) but I couldn't resist :) I have about 1/2 dozen DMUs on my list of things to buy so will get there one day. They are much cheaper than a loco and 1/2 dozen or more coaches though :) 

Great job on the signal box too ! 

Nice work on the signal box. It really gives it that Shrewsbury feel. Are you going to put any levers and signallers inside it? 

I have also been admiring your fleet of DMUs. I really like the Midline one. It really makes me want to get a Midline 310...

Thankyou Stephen :). I have thought about putting levers in & signallers. The roof is only glued on with UHU so would come off for me to add that at a later date, I think it would look effective as the windows in this Box are far clearer than the last one.

Glad you like my DMU's, as i've said before I'd love a suburban Class 116/117 set to complete my fleet.

I have fond memories of the class 310 emu in Midline livery on trips to Birmingham/Coventry from Wolverhampton with my grandparents, along with the old Class 304 units. The units had great character :)

Hi Mark, 

I have a Class 150 and just recv'd a CEP 411 (not exactly proper for my era/location) but I couldn't resist :) I have about 1/2 dozen DMUs on my list of things to buy so will get there one day. They are much cheaper than a loco and 1/2 dozen or more coaches though :) 

Great job on the signal box too ! 

Hi Scott,

It takes time to get a good collection, each time i've bought a train I tend to sell an older one that I don't use that much on ebay to try & get some of the cost back.

Glad you like the box, time to start the phone boxes next, then sort out the area in front of the main station building.

All the best,

Mark

Evening Guys,

It's amazing how a few weeks can go by & I do virtually nothing to the layout, then in 2 days i've achieved two lots of modelling that were really outstanding. Yesterday it was the signal box, & today i've done my phone boxes. I orignally ordered the shirescene one's along with my brutes, & with my fingers (hardly spindle)....I managed to damage the extremely fine brass sections on one of the boxes. Giving up on those, i had an idea to use my existing handmade one's contructed from plasticard for the previous layout & just using the brass 'T' logo off the shirescene one's. I simply edged around the clear plasticard with a thim black marker pen, added a yellow strip for the door to the box (where the handle would be). This is the outcome....

post-5923-0-71738600-1358959957.jpg

A before & after shot of my 2 handmade phone boxes

post-5923-0-96597300-1358959958.jpg

With brass 'T' logo's added

post-5923-0-24068200-1358959960.jpg

One in place under the arrival & departure screens

post-5923-0-79743900-1358959961.jpg

The other next to the glass waiting room (which i'm also looking at replacing with a better structure.

Cheers for now guys,

Mark

See more of your detailing!! :no: realy coming along mate.... :paint:

Thanks very much Class 66 :)

I'm just deciding wether to change the location of the phone boxes, say by moving them more to the centre area of the platforms to make them more noticable (they're not glued down yet). I'll have a shuffle around & see how they look :P

All the best,

Mark

Hi Guys

I've had a bash at putting a couple of short video's together. Sorry about the shakyness...camera phones are awkward to hold steady.

In this vid a 5 car Tyseley DMU arrives at Platform 2 from Birmingham New Street, shortly followed by a late running class 47 hauled InterCity service from London Euston

A 4 car Sprinter formed of Class 156 & 150 arrives at Platform 1 with an inter-Regional service from Manchester Piccadilly to Pembroke Dock

Cheers for now,

Mark

Some lovely slow speed running there mate. There was a little shot you had where the units arrived and you looked straight across the platform at the 108 stabled alongside and it was really atmospheric, brought back some v happy memories of 1st gens.

Good stuff!

Some lovely slow speed running there mate. There was a little shot you had where the units arrived and you looked straight across the platform at the 108 stabled alongside and it was really atmospheric, brought back some v happy memories of 1st gens.

Good stuff!

Cheers Ian,

glad you like the vids. I just find it difficult holding the phone steady unless leaning on something. I need to practice more me thinks  :scratchhead:

All the best,

Mark

Archived