Shawbury Foregate BR 1987-92ish

1977joey

More super modeling Mark!!! :locomotive:

Thanks Class 66 :)

Well another update today due the the ahem!! Awful weather!!!!

I've cracked on with the new Platform at Shawbury. It's now constructed from the metcalf kit & is in place ready to be glued down.

I've also decided i'm going to renumber all the platforms, as to me it wouldn't look right with the current arrangement of numbering.

post-5923-0-38645500-1364058273.jpg

Basically, what was Platform 4 will now be platform 1, so the island platforms will be numbered 1 to 4, the new platform will be 5, & the short bay will become No 6. These will mainly be used for parcels & the stabling of loco's & stock, though platform 5 will also be used for the occasional passanger train.

post-5923-0-90782000-1364058321.jpg

The new platform in place....

post-5923-0-48707600-1364058323.jpg

post-5923-0-25438600-1364058325.jpg

post-5923-0-59108000-1364058326.jpg

The nextr job is to construct a couple of low relief offices & waiting room on the northern end of the new platform (No 5) then the canopies....

Plenty to do :)

All the best,

Mark

I always enjoy looking through this thread!! lots of awsome modeling!! :locomotive:

Glad your enjoying it Class 66, good comments keep me posting :P

The Mail platform looks really good Mark, Almost like its been there the whole time. Another good reason to see more loco's stabled around the station.

Graham.

Thanks Graham,

glad you like it :) it should blend in well once the canopies are in place on it too, then it'll be the matter of populating it with a few staff & a couple of passengers. I really need to give the track a good hoovering & platforms brushed as I still have a lot of debris off the old lifted track all over the place....it shows up a fair bit in the pictures.

All the best,

Mark

Hi Chaps,

Well I've hit a bit of a dillema at Shawbury....frustratingly so. Again concerning the Dapol Class 156's. While I would love a large layout with large sweeping curves which these units are designed for, I simply havn't got the room. Before purchasing the 156's I had a rake of the Dapol Mark 3 coaches, which faultlesly glide around 1st & 2nd radius track, so I thought the 156's would too. After the reconfiguiring the inner bend is from a mix of 1st & 2nd radius sections.

The whole idea of reconfiguring my track work was so that the 156's would nogotiate the curves without jerky noises & derailments .......but this just isn't to be within my space constraints, so i've decided to sell them off. The HST & Mark 3 coaches glides round faultlesly!

I had in mind wether to replace these with the forthcoming class 158 from Farish in Regional Railways livery, but I can't justify paying over £100 for a 2 car set in the old tooling. I'd have been happy if we were getting some re tooled Mark 1 & 2 coaches in Regional Railways livery....but these arn't in the cards either :scratchhead:  !!

So for my marches services?? It's looking like i'm going to represent these 1986-88 style before the Class 155's came into service, with loco hauled blue/grey stock. Though doing this in turn, makes my 'Centro' 150/1's look out of place. If i'd have known this i'd have painted these into provincial light blue...which would have fitted into the late 80's earlier perfectly....

So some thinking to do on what stock to now run....& what era to base the whole layout....

Sometimes, modelling can be frustrating when things don't work..& track work has a lot to do with it...

For now i'm going to continue finishing the new platform, but as in regards to my train collection & livery choices.....it's back to the drawing board for now :scratchhead:

Cheers,
Mark

• RMweb Premium

I had a good look at Shrewsbury station last Monday and this is a lovely interpretation . I hadn't appreciated quite how model-like the original is ,all tight junctions and aged semaphores, delightful 

I had a good look at Shrewsbury station last Monday and this is a lovely interpretation . I hadn't appreciated quite how model-like the original is ,all tight junctions and aged semaphores, delightful 

Cheers Lash, glad you like it :)

I remember changing trains there as a kid in the 80's & i've been inspired by the place ever since :) I'm looking at replacing my hand made semaphores with Ratio one's once i've completed the extra platform.

All the best,

Mark

Have you considered some Atlas track? they do in between sizes for curves? IF you really must sell your 156s let us know prices.

Hi Rob,

I've been having a mess with the 156's this evening, & really don't want to part with them. They are my favourite unit out of the Sprinter Class, but I wish they ran as smoothly as the Dapol HST or the Farish 150 which by comparism are smooth & quiet.

I've had a go at filing down the back of the rather chunky bogies, so now there is a bit more give on them when the train is on a bend.....so far so good, If they keep up like this i'll be hanging on to them hopefully :)

I do have a rake of the new Farish Mark 2's on order, so these will be used along with the 156's for my Provincial/Regional Express services.

Now...regarding my repainted 150's....I really am wondering if I did the right livery...as when i've looked at the original light blue, I can't help but wish that was the livery i'd chosen to paint mine, so watch this space....

All the best,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Do the 156s make the grinding noises going both ways round?  I only ask because mine will only go one way round Gresby because of the corners and the platform.

Loving the new platform!

Cheers

Simon

Hi,

Do the 156s make the grinding noises going both ways round?  I only ask because mine will only go one way round Gresby because of the corners and the platform.

Loving the new platform!

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

I've sent you an inbox....

All the best,

Mark

Evening chaps,

Well work on the new platform at Shawbury continues apace, with the faciers of the platform buildings constructed this evening from brick card. These need glazing then fixing properly into place. Here is a couple of pictures of the scene this evening...

post-5923-0-97563700-1364931840.jpg

The station with the canopy removed so it's easier to work...beyond the '47 can be seen the new platform & the faciers of the platform buildings placed showing where they will be located. The exit from the new platform will be through the double doors where there it's imagined there are the stairs & lifts.

post-5923-0-66376100-1364931842.jpg

post-5923-0-40355500-1364931844.jpg

Still a lot to do on this. My new signals are on their way along with more ballast for where the track was re aligned.

Cheers for now,

Mark

Evening chaps,

The facia's of the new platform buildings are now glazed & glued into place. The next job is to construct the canopy for the northern end of the new platform. The canopy for the bottom end is already made, which is one I removed from the island bay platforms. Should all fit into place hopefully :)

Here are the pics from this evening...

post-5923-0-91042100-1365015279.jpg

post-5923-0-49084300-1365015281.jpg

The view from the existing platforms

post-5923-0-11736900-1365015283.jpg

post-5923-0-45278700-1365015284.jpg

Cheers for now guys,

Mark

Hi chaps,

the canopy on the new platform has now been constructed, & once the new signage has been printed off to go underneath & departure screens, I will then glue it into place.

Here is how it looks being held into place with some paint tins...

post-5923-0-30530600-1365516968.jpg

post-5923-0-94765700-1365516969.jpg

post-5923-0-44316400-1365516971.jpg

post-5923-0-97595200-1365516972.jpg

post-5923-0-40912600-1365516974.jpg

& finally my new addition, a Stagecoach liveried Leyland National bus, on it's way to Hereford according to the blind, probably on a rail replacement while Shawbury station is having all the work done to it ;)

I've also being having a think on the platform numbering situation. Thinking of numbering the new one platform 1 as it's nearest the station entrance, followed by No 2 (the old No 1), the bays 3 & 4, & finally Platform 5 (the old no 4)

Once the canopy is glued, next job is the ballasting, then to construct my new signal kits :)

Cheers for now guys,

Mark

The canopy looks really great Mark. Just noticed the car park lighting, and nail and a bead? ingenious idea !! 

Hi Scott,

glad you like the canopy. Yes it is a nail & bead, though it looks too overscale for my likeing. I have something a little less chunky as a replacement shortly so watch this space ;)

Cheers,

Mark

Evening Guys,

Well the work on the station area is now nearing completion. The platforms all have their new numbers, The track is now ballasted & I've constructed a couple of semaphore signals. For the colour lights which will be none working, I have bought some knightwing traffic lights, so i'm going to chop these up & turn them into railway signals.

Here's some pictures of how the station looked earlier......

post-5923-0-37776200-1366142719.jpg

First a look at the new signals in place (Apologies about the lighting in this pic)

post-5923-0-18553100-1366142721.jpg

In this shot, the canopy on the new platform (No 1) is now glued down & the chunky car park lights have now been replaced by a less chunkier design. These will get painted in due course....

post-5923-0-74873300-1366142722.jpg

A shot of all the platforms

post-5923-0-62492000-1366142724.jpg

DMU's wait in the bays, with services to Hereford & Birmingham New Street

post-5923-0-04984500-1366142726.jpg

A look between what is now platforms 1 & 2 with the station pilot at work with some parcels stock

post-5923-0-98216500-1366142727.jpg

Another shot of the new semaphores

Cheers for now guys,

Mark

Looking very nice Mark, The semaphore signals look spot on, especially in the first photo with the signalbox in the backround.

Cheers

Graham.

Thanks Graham :)

They were really tempremental to try & break off the plastic moulding that they are attatched to...so easy to snap the ladders. Mine just about survived lol!

All the best,

Mark

Layout looks great Mark. The lights are a great improvement, what did you use?

Regards 

Scott

Hi Scott,

Glad you like it :) The lights are made out of upturned nails, with the top itself made from card & plasticard. I'm going to paint them either dark blue or black, havn't quiet made up my mind yet on that ;)

All the best,

Mark

Archived