Shawbury Foregate BR 1987-92ish

1977joey

Hi,

The station looks really good! :D

Whats next?

Cheers

Simon

Thankyou Simon :)

I'm looking at adding vegitaion to the green area's & sorting out the roadways. I really need to get some cars, taxi's & buses too. I also have a rake of Virgin Mark 2 coaches i'm yet to vinyl into InterCity livery, this will be done over the next few weeks hopefully :)

All the best,

Mark

If I had a layout of this era that is exactly what I would do. I always thought that Farish could do a nice limited edition for a fairly low cost.

Mark - Your layout is looking fantastic. I think the way you run your trains really makes it look like a proper junction station at this time.

Thanks Stephen :)

I too wish Farish would do more Regional liveries for the 150's...as in my reply to jack, i'm surprised there's been no further liveries to this popular model.

All the best,

Mark

This version of your layout is coming on realy well and the canopies are fantastic with so much detail ,it looks like Shrewsbury plus the excellent rolling stock,keep the info coming please.

Thanks for the kind feedback mate :)

Glad your enjoying the thread, the great comments keep me working on it :D

All the best,

Mark

Brilliant, really looks the part doesn't it!

Yes your right...I'm shocked that Farish havn't tried to compete with Dapols 153 in FGW and released a FGW 150/1 and 150/2 in dynamic 'places' livery.

In 00 there's resprays available of the early centro livery but not found anything in N scale, yet!

Except the overlay graphics of course, which seem to look good on farish 150's.

Wow you have alot 150's 6 is a really nice collection.

Good subject to get me rambling lol.

All the best,

Jack.

• RMweb Premium

Thankyou Simon :)

I'm looking at adding vegitaion to the green area's & sorting out the roadways. I really need to get some cars, taxi's & buses too. I also have a rake of Virgin Mark 2 coaches i'm yet to vinyl into InterCity livery, this will be done over the next few weeks hopefully :)

All the best,

Mark

Hi,

See about putting the virgin ones on ebay - they've been going for quite a lot on there, especially the normal 1sts and 2nds :) then pick up some cheaper donor ones

I'd like to see a few more liveries of the 150s - northern rail for a start - but I'm still waiting for a 3 car Central trains 170 or a West Yorkshire 158, so I'm not holding my breath!

I'll keep an eye on your vegetation, I'm a bit stumped by it (I don't like the thought of scratchbuilding trees so I'm interested in what everyone else is doing)

Keep up the good work :D

Simon

Hi,

See about putting the virgin ones on ebay - they've been going for quite a lot on there, especially the normal 1sts and 2nds :) then pick up some cheaper donor ones

I'd like to see a few more liveries of the 150s - northern rail for a start - but I'm still waiting for a 3 car Central trains 170 or a West Yorkshire 158, so I'm not holding my breath!

I'll keep an eye on your vegetation, I'm a bit stumped by it (I don't like the thought of scratchbuilding trees so I'm interested in what everyone else is doing)

Keep up the good work :D

Simon

Cheers Simon :),

The coaches I have are what i've recently purchased for vinyls & they are all the old loco hauled CrossCountry 1st/Buffet RFO's as they were slighly cheaper, I have 6 of the same vehicle so they wouldn't sell that well anyway on ebay. I like the more recent MK2 tooling as it has the tinted effect glazing which was distinct on these. Again, I've had to do things this way round to get an InterCity rake because althought we have an 'InterCity' class 47, we have nothing in that livery for it to pull :dontknow:

I too am surprised there's no 'Northern' 150 or First Great Western, I guess we'll have to wait & see whats on offer next year :scratchhead:

I have quiet a bit of Lichen to use for the vegitation, it's quiet good to use & you can make trees from it too, though I havn't attempted that yet. I've got to sort out the area where the abbey stands.

All the best,

Mark

Hi Chaps,

I've spent most the day getting all the main scenic area's done on the layout. I've added lights to the walkway (none working) between the carriage sidings, road markings have now been added, temporarily with chalk, but I am going to overlay these with stick ons. Street lights have also been added to the roads & car park area in front of the station, also I now have some vegitation added to the green area's.

I'm yet to make the backscene panels to hide the storage sidings at the back of the layout & also rebuild the signal box.

post-5923-0-03082800-1354303051.jpg

The station car park showing lamps added & also the carriage sidings

post-5923-0-17785100-1354303053.jpg

The station front

post-5923-0-16646000-1354303055.jpg

Vegitation now added to the grren area's & either side of the river

post-5923-0-40677200-1354303057.jpg

A shot of the sidings with a class 37 coupled to a 56 waiting to leave light engines to Cardiff Canton

post-5923-0-16232900-1354303059.jpg

A class 31 waits at platform 2 with a parcels service to Bristol Temple Meads next to a DMU bound for Birmingham New Street

post-5923-0-85454100-1354303060.jpg

47535 approaches Platform 4 with the Cardiff to Holyhead service 'The Welshman/Y Cymro'

post-5923-0-31678600-1354303062.jpg

post-5923-0-89822900-1354303066.jpg

post-5923-0-91045400-1354303068.jpg

47535 powers away from Platform 4 past the Telecom offices & will take the Crewe line on it's way to Holyhead

Cheers for now guys :)

Mark

Wow that did move fast! Well done and good to see some recycled buildings from the last build sitting so well with new work. I can see your skills have been growing at the same rate as the layout.

Thanks for the kind feedback Devondynosoar, glad you like it :D.

Not dropped in for a while but the new stuff is great, love the footbridge.

Thanks for the kind feedback ess1uk :) the footbridge is based on the real one at Shrewsbury that crosses over the station to the prison (the dana). I'm yet to add lift doors behind the stairs on the platform.

All the best,

Mark

Evening chaps,

Well nothing more done to the layout since my last post, but I am working on a couple of trains.

As I have a pretty decent collection of Sprinter units of classes 150/1, 150/2 & 156 variety, i've found it frustrating not being able to run the 156's in multiple with my 150's. So i've took the plunge & used one car of my dummy 156, unclipped the sharfenburg coupling, & glued on a thin strip of plasticard to the front bogie, then onto that, a Dapol knuckle/Buckeye coupling (which I have already fitted to all my 150's), keeping the Sharfenburg on the other car of the 156 so it can run with either the 150's or the motorised 156's without having to change all the couplings.

I'm chuffed it's worked out as I wasn't over convinced it would work :locomotive:

post-5923-0-33639200-1354994776.jpg

The 156 car with the Dapol NEM Knuckle/Buckeye coupler glued in place

post-5923-0-14781100-1354994778.jpg

Showing the 156 & also a Class 150 with the NEM coupler already in place

post-5923-0-47319200-1354994779.jpg

Showing the assemble approaching Platform 4 at Shawbury on a busy saturday Cardiff Central to Manchester Piccadilly service

post-5923-0-56220900-1354994781.jpg

post-5923-0-28614700-1354994783.jpg

You can turn the head/tail lights off on the 156 (which I hadn't done here) but not on the 150

Cheers for now guys,

Mark

Hi chaps,

Just another quick update, this is the first time i've used Fox transfers & i'm really pleased with how easy they are to use. I've just added 'WM' logo's of the West Midlands PTE to one of my 3 car Class 101's which i'm also yet to renumber to a Tyseley based set.

here is how it looks...

post-5923-0-14990700-1355002215.jpg

Here is my re-branded 101 approaching Platform 3 with the all stopper from Wolverhampton

post-5923-0-91182000-1355002216.jpg

A close up showing the new logo's added to the side of the unit & across the cab front

post-5923-0-97622100-1355002218.jpg

post-5923-0-68110400-1355002220.jpg

Cheers for now guys,

Mark

Simple but really effective on both counts there Mark. My intended layout is NSE Southern, so what DMU's do turn up (and there will be some) will mostly tend to either be single units or pairs of the same.

Any chance you will do a 153 (if/when you get one) in a similar fashion? I think that would look great with a 150 as well!

Thanks

Andrew

p.s. Love how this new layout is coming along!

Simple but really effective on both counts there Mark. My intended layout is NSE Southern, so what DMU's do turn up (and there will be some) will mostly tend to either be single units or pairs of the same.

Any chance you will do a 153 (if/when you get one) in a similar fashion? I think that would look great with a 150 as well!

Thanks

Andrew

p.s. Love how this new layout is coming along!

Hi Andrew,

Glad you like it :) I did have a couple of 153's on the old layout but I sold these off in favour of another '156' & a '101', for the fact my layout being based between 1987 & 92, the 153's would have just come about at the extreme end of the period i'm modelling. I'd love for Dapol to bring out a Class 155, as these would definalty fit into the period, but due to the short lifepsan of the Cardiff based sets (because of coverting to 153's), i'm doubting we'll see these.

So as far as my Cardiff - Manchester services are concerned, i'm sticking to the time when the 155's were withdrawn for a time in 1988/89 with door problems, & the 156's were drafted in place & also loco hauled stock.

In saying that, if there was ever a re tooled 158 on offer from Farish in the old provincial/Regional Express livery, i'd be tempted to a get couple ;)

Are you going to start a thread here with your layout? If so i'll look forward to following it :)

All the best,

Mark

Hi Mark.

I must admit to not being an expert to working up norf' as I was only 6 when I left the country and where I lived (and where mum took me to watch 2 trains - usually 5 or 6) was firmly entrenched EMU territory in Winchester. Shame about the 153 not quite fitting - would look quite a pair.

I will eventually set up a thread on here when I start construction - I have a planning thread on the N Gauge Forum but not translated that to over here yet. Eventually to be based on Portsmouth and Southsea, I will have to redraw the plans slightly and delay it a touch as it is likely I will move house quite soon. Will keep in touch on that!

Cheers Mark

Hi Mark.

I must admit to not being an expert to working up norf' as I was only 6 when I left the country and where I lived (and where mum took me to watch 2 trains - usually 5 or 6) was firmly entrenched EMU territory in Winchester. Shame about the 153 not quite fitting - would look quite a pair.

I will eventually set up a thread on here when I start construction - I have a planning thread on the N Gauge Forum but not translated that to over here yet. Eventually to be based on Portsmouth and Southsea, I will have to redraw the plans slightly and delay it a touch as it is likely I will move house quite soon. Will keep in touch on that!

Cheers Mark

Please do Andrew, i'll look forward to seeing it. I love layouts based in the NSE era ;) & Portsmouth sounds like a great idea. Plenty of EMU's & DMU services to operate, aswell as the occasional InterCity :)

All the best,

Mark

Please do Andrew, i'll look forward to seeing it. I love layouts based in the NSE era ;) & Portsmouth sounds like a great idea. Plenty of EMU's & DMU services to operate, aswell as the occasional InterCity :)

All the best,

Mark

That's the general plan Mark, will let you know when I have something up, might be a few months though but coming soon!

Andrew

Evening Chaps....

Well guys what I have made this evening is my Shirescenes 'Brute' trollies, found at most mainline stations in the 80's/early 90's. Very fiddly to make unless you have spindle fingers & can count to 10 a few times...which I had to :O ...but i'm glad i've done them as they look the part :) . I just need to blacken the tiny wheels now..

Here they are on the station, I've put them on platform 1 at the southend as there were always rows of them at the end of platform 7 at Shrewsbury back in the day...

post-5923-0-32160200-1355354144.jpg

post-5923-0-11264600-1355354146.jpg

post-5923-0-34613600-1355354148.jpg

The mail bags have supposedly been loaded onto this Manchester to Bristol Class 47 hauled parcels train on Platform 1

post-5923-0-79780700-1355354149.jpg

post-5923-0-52520000-1355354151.jpg

Another shot across the platforms showing the 'Brutes'. A Class 37 has just drawn up alongside on the 'up' goods bound for Bescot with some empty coal hoppers.

Cheers for now guys,

Mark

Those Brutes really add a nice touch to the platform Mark, been meaning to get some myself. Layout is looking really good.

Graham.

Thanks Graham :)

I may get some more, but at the same time don't want to over do it with the platforms. They come in packs of 3, so perhaps 3 more won't hurt ;)

All the best,

Mark

Archived