Warley 2012

bbishop

• RMweb Premium

The standard NEC parking fee is £10. Event organisers can choose to subsidise this, in whole or in part, for their visitors. But the cost of doing so has to come out of their income. For Warley, that would mean increasing ticket prices and/or trade stall fees. Either of those are likely to be unpopular, and in any case it's unfair on those who come by train to make their ticket price subsidise the cost of parking for those who drive.

The Toy Fair is entirely different in this respect, as all of their income is from traders and they want to maximise attendance. So subsidising parking makes sense for them, because the more people who come the more money the traders will make.

. I think that is what I said in posting 244

Had a very pleasant Warley and was disciplined enough to "only" buy three items this year.

The RMWeb meet-ups at 'Spoons were enjoyable and it was good to see new faces as well as the usual suspects*

I saw quite a few, but not all, of the layouts. This year I noted that quite a few layouts were illuminated (street lights, carriage and locomotive lighting, illuminated building interiors etc.), although most of such layouts had the lighting shining far too brightly - toning down the luminosity would, I think, make them look more prototypical (after all, in real life, when you look at a street lamp from about 500 yards away it isn't as bright as a searchlight).

I also saw that the "Curse of the Continental Modeller" had also struck a British layout... Yep, there was a British layout with a burning building and fire engines in front with flashing lights... so Continental Cliché.

iD

* This year's trip to Warley brough home to me a problem with the RMWeb membership: we have far too many members named Andy, Mike, Chris or Dick. My aging brain has a hard time keeping them all straight (this year I confused Mike [bellamy] with Mike [the Stationmaster]). What we need is a sprinkle of Ruperts, Rogers, Tarquins and Sylvesters.... A lot easier to keep straight...

Anyone know what the problems were with arriva trains wales today. Went to get the holyhead birmingham itl train from gobowen at 07.56 and was first informed at 07.40 that it was delayed ...... then a train fault ...... then at 07.50 train cancelled. Quick drive to ?shrewsbury and got the 08.31 for birmingham itl ...massive overcrowding . The return journey not much better .....running late and understand train was terminated at chester. Lady guard totally in the dark as to the problem ........ how not to run a bus service. :banghead:

There have been plenty of problems with flooding and weather over the weekend - this had an impact on things all over the country.

And lady guard? Why the need to highlight that the guard was female? They're just as good as a 'man guard'!

• RMweb Gold

Well it looks like Warley could be somewhere to try to get to on Sunday next year then, unless the entrance ticket covers both days and then it is obviously worth doing that as some have noted.

P @ 36E

The 'at the door' price for a single adult ticket was £12 for one day and £22 for two days I noticed. This doesn't strike me as at all bad as a bargain when you consider what you get for it and the fact that it is well nigh impossible to give decent attention to the whole exhibition in a single day - for me the only problem would be getting there on the second day as the railway in my direction was, so I understand, being dug up.

It would appear that overcrowded trains are a fact of modern rail travel, TOCs should be made to put enough coaches on a train. For example Cross Country could easily put another Voyager unit on their trains to double the seating capacity and probably seat everyone; but they are too interested in chasing profits, which will be fine until there is a huge accident involving standing passengers and the resulting carnage, shame on the TOCs and the legislators.

But the simple question is which trains and what with? Coming north from Reading there is a half-hourly interval service to Brum on Saturdays with alternate trains via Solihull or Coventry, there were exhibitions at the NEC, Reading were away at Wigan, Pompey were away at Coventry, and folk were going shopping in Brum - a succession of trains (of which I saw two, traveling on one) were going north from Reading 'well loaded' and mine was F&S by the time it left Oxford. Similarly although there might not have been the football effect (?) there were no doubt similar crowds coming southwards for a variety of reasons.

I'm not privy to XC's unit diagrams but if weekdays are any guide I doubt they'd have more than a couple of sets standing at Central Rivers and I bet they're on exams or heavy cleaning. So what do they do - mortgage the maintenance (and pay the penalty for that some other time) and if they do that which train do they strengthen out of a possible half dozen? Do they strengthen northbound for the football (seems to me the most logical if they could do it at all) and how do they then get the sets in the right place for the southbound workings, and which southbound workings?

The simple fact is that XC just don't have enough sets to go round will-nilly strengthening trains, especially when doing so would literally be perm any one from at least 6 in the morning and in all probability from at least 10 in the afternoon/evening - that isn't their fault, it's down to the Franchise Agreement and that was drafted by Civil Servants who might ultimately be regarded as being responsible to Parliament; in other words, as so often, it's all down to the politicos. And even if they have the sets would they have the traincrew resources to man them (2 additional staff for each extra set - or reduce the catering cover) and the capability to get them platformed and attach/detach the sets even if they could manage to get them into position in the first place also needing resources they probably haven't got. It might sound harsh but all that is one of the facts of the contemporary railway (and it wasn't much different on this route in BR days).

Sorry to veer way OT with this but I think it needed to be said - for other operators just insert their name and depot where I have referred to Cross Country.

• RMweb Gold

I was there both days, and it took me until Sunday to get around to seeing Charmouth in the flesh, but it was worth the wait.

My bias towards Welsh layouts was satisfied with the 'Aberbeeg', 'Aberhuge' would have been more appropriate, and the (to my eyes) delightful 'Ynysybwl'.

The problem I seemed to have on both days was running into people who I knew and spending too much time chatting and not enough time looking.

I resisted any impulse railway purchases. everything I wanted was on a list, but I did impulsively buy one of Squires' magnifying, led lit, head mounted doobreefirkins.

My failing eyesight now demands such an adornment for close up work.

On the travel front, Wellington (Salop) to International and back on both days by ATW, direct service, no problems.

Regards

Richard

I also saw that the "Curse of the Continental Modeller" had also struck a British layout... Yep, there was a British layout with a burning building and fire engines in front with flashing lights... so Continental Cliché

Each to their own. it makes a chnage from the obligitary Bodge and Scaper "tee tee" signs etc

I parked for free at Tile Hill station, caught a LM train in a couple of stops, so easy. (£1.90 return less railcard), but as ticket office closed, no machines, and no conductor, they lost out I'm afraid!

Stewart

Same here, so thanks very much for the steer :good: And I'm not going to complain about the train running late, because I was as well...

I had weighed everything up and the scales had tipped towards staying at home. Reading about the BRM subscription offer and then waking up at 6am Sunday promptly tipped them back, however!

Purchase-wise, I can certainly see Dapol's Western and Heljan's class 16 absorbing my expendable in the future. Took advantage of BRM's offer, found a G2A at a price that proved too hard to resist and as I left blew my last tenner on a Warley Toad. Aside than those, I didn't see anything to prise the wallet open, other than the usual random bits and pieces I've consigned myself to collecting at these shows (a tweezer holder? What an excellent idea, sir!).

Favourite layouts (in no particular order) were Bratton Fleming, La Baraque, Charmouth, County Gate, Hospital Gates, Bath Green Park, Stamford East and Loch Tat (and it's rare that anything post-privatisation will even begin to win me over). Liverpool Lime Street was incredible to see, as were Cliffhanger and O'Connell Street.

It was my first visit to Warley and was unsure what to expect other than the fabled monster crowds. However in that respect at least it was a pleasant surprise - I only remember the jostling getting on my nerves once (as opposed to Spalding where it was a pretty much constant irritation). As I'm in a diplomatic mood, I'll just say that the catering was exactly what I expected and leave it at that ;)

Overall, though, I have to say I enjoyed the day, so thanks and well done to all concerned :)

I managed to make a brief visit on the Saturday after a last minute decision. Crowded train up due to previous cancellations I believe. Enjoyed my visit despite lengthy wait for ticket.

Can someone tell me if Whitchurch Town was there? I didn't see it and only noticed on the Warley MRC website afterwards that it was listed. I probably missed that section of the hall !

• RMweb Premium

I thought this thread was about the Warley Exhibition, what was in the show etc ? Not a lets complain about the trains again.....

We went to Warley by train as an experiment.

It was cheaper (advanced booking plus 1 railcard) than coming by car - diesel plus £10 car park fee.

In many respects, I did prefer it to last time when we got caught in a long tailback of cars off the motorway when I was so wound up, I said I wouldn't ever go to Warley again.

If you want people to come to Warley, how we get there, and what that is likely to entail. is a significant factor.

Our 'feedback' will hopefully help others to plan their journeys to future events.

I think, if you travel by train or car you shouldn't take it for granted that things will go nice and smoothly.

On the other hand, our (RMweber's) 'feedback' should be in the interest of Warley and its attendees not just an excuse to express our grievances.

Hope this helps.

EDIT

PS After this weekend's experience, yes, I would come back to Warley again....

PPS We went back to Warley because the Wigan Show moved to the summer and we were getting withdrawal symptons and Ray wanted his (early) Christmas present. :locomotive:

• RMweb Gold

Tip on parking at Birmingham International station was great. Sailed in there and then apart from crossing the road, undercover all the way and from car to hall was 5 mins by foot. Then throw in it only cost £5 and sailed straight back on to the motorway.

All in all, had a very pleasent day wandering around given I nearly decided not to head up even though I already had a ticket because I was feeling really apathetic when I woke up. As an N gauge modeller thought the selection there was Ok this year and do also agree with the comment on how did Loch Tat not win anything. One of those layouts that can inspire you further or make you give up :-)

As for the rest, just enjoyed wandering and spent a fair bit of time watching Aberberg as it sowed an idea for the future.

Parked at Marston Green station (one stop away from Birmingham Int.) for free, train fare £1.70 return, had an advance ticket, in the door just after 9:15, left just after 5, all in all a good day out with plenty to see for circa £1.70 an hour... Can't think of many things you can do for a day at less then that. Catering expensive as usual but everybody has a choice, can always take your own. No reasons for complaints from me. Snuck out of Marston Green via the back roads and straight on to the M6 avoiding any traffic arising from so many people trying to leave the NEC at a similar time from many exhibitions. Was tempted to buy a few O gauge bits and pieces but really had ought to finish current 5" gauge projects before finding other distractions! Looking forward to next year already, good job Warley MRC in my opinion.

I've tended to go on the Sunday now for some years, it definately seems to be less crowded than the Saturday. Lots of very inspirational stuff there, most of it way beyond my ability! One thing that I did observe that I would be interested to hear others views on, was the operation of Liverpool Lime Street. Not the pattern of trains coming and going, but the very sophisticated control panel set up. It all looked at bit serious to me, there did'nt seem to be a lot 'fun' going on! This in no way is a criticism, as I thought the layout was magnificent, it was just as though the operation of the layout was, well, serious!!

Hello

A good visit to the show yesterday as I was feeling healthy for a change.

A good run up and back thanks to a friend, even though a detour on the way back because of the M40 did not spoil the day.

For the best layout was The Blue Tram by Loek Bronkhorst who had brought the layout all the way from east Holland. For me when I got close enough to see it was like looking out of a window and watching the world go by.

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT

First time at Warley - unplanned, a kind friend with a spare ticket available, and I had the Saturday free - and it struck me as rather good. Every single layout operator I spoke to responded with enthusiasm, succeeded in finding Andy Y for a brief conversation, more good layouts than smaller shows can boast in five years. Add to this that the Heljan team were a lot of fun, although somewhat taken aback at the suggestion that there are model subjects enough from Doncaster to keep them busy for twenty years; and Loek Bronkhorst should consider an alternative career in stand up, excellent dry SOH.

I don't think anyone else has posted it, magnorail site for the working cyclist of your dreams. http://www.magnorail.com/index_en.html

The East Riding Finescale Group will be at Warley with "Hospital Gates". After surviving the breakfast stampede last year, with "Meopham East Junction", we have resolved to have the layout all ready for opening time each evening before we leave. That would be track cleaned and stock in place. The only thing to do each morning would be to remove the covers and switch on. That is the plan but "the best plans of man and beast gang awar" or words to that effect. See you there? :friends:

Well, we survived but as the Iron Duke said "It was a damn close run thing!" or words closely resembling that.

The breakfast scrum was not as bad as last year. The layout ran very well, so well that nothing warranted the opening of a toolbox. The public was generous with their kind comments. No item of rolling stock went back into the stock box for the "early bath" although one piece did get a "free transfer" but that's another story.

My comrades entertained me to a birthday dinner along with our good friends from the "North Holderness Light Railway" and I thank them all for that. The journey back to the hotel was wet, very very wet indeed. Thanks for a safe journey must go to Alison Ripley for that.

The weekend was topped with the layout being awarded "Best 7mm" by Virgin Trains.

Here's a proud Neil Ripley with it after just receiving it from Pete Waterman.

Yours truly is seen reflecting in his glory.

post-276-0-29558700-1353943049.jpg

I had a great time. As a dad to toddler, with plenty of family and work comittments it is exactly the size factor etc that means I attend. I can only spare the time to attend one or two exhibitions a year. Going to Warley ensures its a big one, with lots of layouts to see, lots of traders to buy all the things I want, plus the benefit of stumbling across something I didn't expect to be interested in. If I only have one show I want to make sure there's plenty to see that I'm interested in.

The in-laws live in Cov so always get the train there, very easy, much cheaper (and a shorter walk than parking). Yes its busy but even on Saturday I got to see everything I wanted, and with a bit of patience got to the trade stalls I wanted. I've been to a lot of other shows at the NEC and it doesn't seem much more crowded than those. In fact I thought the catering seemed more efficient - shorter queues, and easier to find seats/table. Its not gormet food but it wasn't bad and its the prices you expect to pay in these places.

My only minor grumble was that too many layouts seemed to be still setting up at 9:15, when it opened. I got there pretty soon afterwards and although quiet a lot of layouts didn't have much going on then. But its only a little problem

the operation of Liverpool Lime Street. Not the pattern of trains coming and going, but the very sophisticated control panel set up. It all looked at bit serious to me, there did'nt seem to be a lot 'fun' going on! This in no way is a criticism, as I thought the layout was magnificent, it was just as though the operation of the layout was, well, serious!!

you must have seen me operating :)

I think its more noticable because the operators at the front, and I was always told when I first started exhibiting many years ago to "keep things moving". some of the operators shall we say are not of the playstation generation so are a bit slow selecting a few simple buttons and may press the wrong ones under pressure or forget to do things even after lots of training, and if the wrong button is pressed it can cause delays which can frustrate the other operators as it holds up them doing their job and results in a quiet spell for the public.but we like to keep everyone on their toes and are all good friends. its more satisfiying to operate the more intense it is.

there is some more changes planned for the next show for more trains running.

regards the show, I enjoyed it very much.

I got a couple of very good bargains from Bachmann, an ivatt class 2 and a cravens 105 which ive been after for a while.

Barry Oliver weathered a couple of loco's for me which look very nice.

I enjoyed Bath green park and the Dutch layouts, especially the one in the window frame.

• RMweb Premium

Can someone tell me if Whitchurch Town was there? I didn't see it and only noticed on the Warley MRC website afterwards that it was listed. I probably missed that section of the hall !

Yup it was. Stand D1 about halfway down the hall. I'm not sure I saw all the layouts and I was there for 2 days!

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Back home now to reliable internet access after a good weekend at the show. So time to say a big thank you from the Stephenson Locomotive Society (SLS) to all our customers over the weekend and to Warley MRC for organising it so well. Hope everyone has got home safe and dry.

Now it's time to unload everything back into store before the next rain squall gets here!

• RMweb Gold

My only minor grumble was that too many layouts seemed to be still setting up at 9:15, when it opened. I got there pretty soon afterwards and although quiet a lot of layouts didn't have much going on then.

Hi Tom

I suspect (from our experiences as exhibitors this weekend) that is because at times it feels like the NEC staff do everything possible to prevent you being ready on time! I lost count of the number of times security people wouldn't let us into the right car park (we knew where were meant to be!) or mis-directed to a different car park, then at times there were some rather large queues for breakfast.

While I appreciate how difficult it must be in a place like the NEC with so many competing exhibitions, so many to feed etc, it can make it all a bit stressful.

Cheers, Mike

Tip on parking at Birmingham International station was great. Sailed in there and then apart from crossing the road, undercover all the way and from car to hall was 5 mins by foot. Then throw in it only cost £5 and sailed straight back on to the motorway.

This is a risky strategy though! Luckily they didn't turn the carpark pay machines off. 2 years ago they turned them off so you had to go to the ticket office who demanded a train ticket to release the carpark ticket. The fine was £25 as lots of us didn't have a train ticket!

Yup it was. Stand D1 about halfway down the hall. I'm not sure I saw all the layouts and I was there for 2 days!

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave. I have seen it before at Aylesbury I think, but you have confirmed my thoughts that I missed some of the layouts during my lightening visit.

Alan.

Archived