Warley 2012

bbishop

This is a risky strategy though! Luckily they didn't turn the carpark pay machines off. 2 years ago they turned them off so you had to go to the ticket office who demanded a train ticket to release the carpark ticket. The fine was £25 as lots of us didn't have a train ticket!

Parking at the station isn't something I'd recommend doing without a train ticket (such as a £1.70 return to Marston Green), sometimes they're happy to take a fiver off you and other times they'll enforce the "no parking for the NEC" rule.

Dave Long

If they do turn the car park machines off next time just buy a return to Marston Green or whichever fictional journey you choose. Still cheaper than a tenner.

Anyhow back to the show. Warley is as Warley is; large.

I have now relaised that I missed a few things in between operating/ manning our club demo layout. Never mind. Overall I thought it was a good show and as usual our Dutch friends for me stole the show. There is something about a Dutch layout that really stands out in the crowd.. Oh and the false perspective idea came from a magazine (in French) I know this as I asked. I did originally think they had used a nail in the table top behind the backscene and used multiple bits of string to get the angles, but no, it was far more sophisticated than that.

Thanks to Paul Jones and his team for another enjoyable show.

Andy

It was a surprise to see a full scale mock-up of the Virgin Galactic parked outside the entrance, complete with wings tilted into the re-entry feather position.

I take it those complaining about the cost of the NEC car park, haven't booked their ticket on it yet?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tom

I suspect (from our experiences as exhibitors this weekend) that is because at times it feels like the NEC staff do everything possible to prevent you being ready on time! I lost count of the number of times security people wouldn't let us into the right car park (we knew where were meant to be!) or mis-directed to a different car park, then at times there were some rather large queues for breakfast.

While I appreciate how difficult it must be in a place like the NEC with so many competing exhibitions, so many to feed etc, it can make it all a bit stressful.

Cheers, Mike

We left our vehicles at the Hotel each day and walked to the hall. Took 20 minutes or so but managed to be pretty much first in the use for breakfast, more by chance than planning.

It is an earlier start than most other shows so does put the extra pressure on getting ready or the earlier opening for most of our operators. Luckily for me, it's actually a lay in as I am up at 5 am even at weekends.

I was impressed by the food laid on for the exhibitors even though there were queues the caterers did seem to be making n effort and were friendly.

Did you get to the Wellington in Birmingham?

Everywhere In town was much busier than usual for a Friday evening probably use to Christmas market

• RMweb Gold

We left our vehicles at the Hotel each day and walked to the hall. Took 20 minutes or so but managed to be pretty much first in the use for breakfast, more by chance than planning.

Not an option for us - we were in a hotel in Tamworth, almost twenty miles north!

Jerry

Hi Tom

I suspect (from our experiences as exhibitors this weekend) that is because at times it feels like the NEC staff do everything possible to prevent you being ready on time! I lost count of the number of times security people wouldn't let us into the right car park (we knew where were meant to be!) or mis-directed to a different car park, then at times there were some rather large queues for breakfast.

While I appreciate how difficult it must be in a place like the NEC with so many competing exhibitions, so many to feed etc, it can make it all a bit stressful.

Cheers, Mike

Funny I found ninety nine percent oif NEC staff freindly and helpful

• RMweb Gold

I was impressed by the food laid on for the exhibitors even though there were queues the caterers did seem to be making n effort and were friendly.

Did you get to the Wellington in Birmingham?

Everywhere In town was much busier than usual for a Friday evening probably use to Christmas market

Hi Ian

Walking was out for two out of four of our operators (hip replacement and knee replacement!). One of the gate staff was more than a little sceptical about the knee replacement until shown the crutches!

We got to the Wellington (and the Post Office Vaults) on Friday and were lucky to get seats in both! I am sure you are right that the Christmas market was making things busy.

Cheers, Mike

Enjoyable and great value day as ever!

Has anyone got any videos or photos of Veldhoven 1935 that really show the perspective trick well? Genuinely quite amazing to look at and one of the first times I've felt that I was looking at a miniature real-world, rather than a model.

Pix

Here you go:

post-3486-0-45172700-1353955271_thumb.jpg

post-3486-0-78910700-1353955288_thumb.jpg

Absolutely brilliant.

Dave Long

If they do turn the car park machines off next time just buy a return to Marston Green or whichever fictional journey you choose. Still cheaper than a tenner.

Andy

Easy said than done when you've already asked to pay for a carpark ticket without one. I couldn't find a train ticket machine either. So I park at Marston Green now or with airport staff carpark pass, but we only have 2 between 40 people.

Personally I love Warley and go most years, although with a heavily pregnant wife and a 2 year old I played it safe and stayed home.

• RMweb Gold

We survived the weekend with Hope under Dinmore, which behaved itself. It very nice to receive compliments about the layout from the Mr York (despite Steve Flint of RM having beaten BRM to asking us to do a layout article). Interesting as only one of 2 standard gauge pre-grouping layouts (I think, Bodmin was the other) and despite really good comments about the layout we did not get the crowds 2 or 3 deep, although we always had spectators. I wonder if the watching public is shifting towards Diesels???

This was the first Warley I had attended with a layout for 10 years it was a good show with in the main layouts that deserved to be there. For exhibitors the organisation, accomodation and food was excellent (we were based in Tamworth) and the horror stories about breakfast were unfounded.

Happy to again.

• RMweb Gold

A couple more videos. They ages to upload to Youtube!

Cliffhanger:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZUf5tDxG_U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4w9cmjGyLI

Thought the show was great, loved the themed areas: 7mm, 2mm, small traders, Lynton and Lymouth. etc. Maybe time for Warley to go that extra mile and try to fill the extra 25% of Hall 5?

Judging by your tag line I presume you are probably envious.

Jerry

I think not - because of this dictionary definition of critique:-

"Critique is a method of disciplined, systematic analysis of a written or oral discourse.

Critique is commonly understood as fault finding and negative judgement, but it can also involve, merit, recognition, and in the philosophical tradition it also means a methodical practice of doubt."

Aside of which my two statements stand on their own merit as just that.

Any association with negativity is by the reader - you may never know the reason why it could be my last visit.

Kind Regards.

Editted due to omission of full stop.

Well another Warley over and done with. Some seem to hate it, but i always enjoy this event when I can get there.

I thought the layouts this year were of the usual mix of variety and quality and as in previous years some stood out, some were excellent, many were good, OK or passable and a number were not so good or even dire.

From a personal point of view, I was pleased to see Bath Green Park "in the flesh" for the first time as a complete layout with MPD and country section.

I expected to be wowed by the magnificent station roof, but I was surprisingly underwhelmed. Maybe I've been spoilt by all the excellent detailed photos and at exhibition viewing distances wasn't able to appreciate it.

Nethertheless the whole layout was a joy to watch despite the crowding.

On the other hand I find myself at odds with others on here with regard to Liverpool Lime St.

For me a second viewing and I was quite disappointed. I appreciate it's still a work in progress but there was nothing there, other than the scale of the station roof that did anything for me.

Sorry, but I find it a bit drab and dull. Oh well we can't all agree I suppose.

There were good and excellent layouts in various categories, but like others, I thought the Dutch and French layouts to be among the best.

It seems I'm not alone in having enjoyed the Dutch demonstration of "forced perspective".

The guy doing the talk made some very good points about the approach of many British modellers with regard to scenic work. It doesn't need repeating here.

I'm surprised that there's been little mention of Châtellerault-Châteauneuf which I thought was set out very nicely with lots of good detail.

Haymarket Cross and Invergeachy were other favourites that i spent some time watching.

Surprisingly, as I'm not much of a fan of narrow gauge modelling, I thought a few of the narrow-gauge layouts were fantastic. Real modelling of railways set in the landscape, rather than tacking on some scenery to a layout.

Cliffhanger and County Gate? spring to mind, but there were a couple of others that caught my eye.

At Warley, I'm usually just as interested, if not more so in the trade and manufacturers stands.

It's nice to see some fairly new electronics suppliers and manufacturers bringing some new and interesting products to market, e.g. Model Rail UK and Train-Tech; plus I spent some time at a couple of the DCC demonstrations, i.e. A&H (Roco Z21 and Uhlenbrock) and the Roco Z21 demo on Gaugemasters stand.

Both the Z21 demos were quite interesting.

I spent some time at the DCC Concepts corner on the Gaugemaster stand investigating their new Cobalt S point lever system, which I imagine should please quite a few people.

All in all a good day out and some bargains to be had, Wagons in particular.

It still baffles me that people will buy the Bachmann returns (effectively secondhand, repaired items with no warranty - sold as seen) for the same price as brand new (with warranty) models being sold on the adjacent stands, literally a few steps away.

Loaded up with booty, I resisted a Blue Pullman due to a lack of arms. There was no saving to be had so I'll get it elsewhere.

The remaining task was to sneak it all in the door without being caught !!!!!

Roll on next year.

• RMweb Gold

I think not - because of this dictionary definition of critique:-

"Critique is a method of disciplined, systematic analysis of a written or oral discourse.

Critique is commonly understood as fault finding and negative judgement, but it can also involve, merit, recognition, and in the philosophical tradition it also means a methodical practice of doubt."

Aside of which my two statements stand on their own merit as just that.

Any association with negativity is by the reader - you may never know the reason why it could be my last visit.

Kind Regards.

Editted due to omission of full stop.

I'm afraid you've lost me. From what I could see your critique contained neither systematic analysis or any form of discourse, written or oral.

Jerry

I'm afraid you've lost me. From what I could see your critique contained neither systematic analysis or any form of discourse, written or oral.

Jerry

That is EXACTLY the point Jerry - 'wot I wrote' {sic} was (is) not critique therefore I couldn't possibly be envious. :declare:

Let's leave it there shall we ?

Andy

Thanks to all those who have posted video and photos, much appreciated. Picture speaks a thousand words and all that.

Now living over 285miles away it sounds worlds apart from when I was taken to Warley in the sports hall in Warley!

Thanks again,

Andy

some of the operators shall we say are not of the playstation generation so are a bit slow selecting a few simple buttons and may press the wrong ones under pressure or forget to do things even after lots of training, and if the wrong button is pressed it can cause delays which can frustrate the other operators as it holds up them doing their job and results in a quiet spell for the public.but we like to keep everyone on their toes and are all good friends. its more satisfiying to operate the more intense it is.

Is the panel like a NX panel?

• RMweb Premium

It was a good show but next year I shall go on Sunday as I cannot take the Saturday crush anymore then maybe I will see all the layouts,didnt see Loch Tat and I looked!

It seemed busier than on the previous two Sundays which I had attended, maybe that will end up as crushed as Saturday.

Maybe they should consider adding Friday as well if the attendance is still climbing?

Keith

Archived